ADVERTISEMENT

Do you recycle?

I do because it's the only way to keep my trash from overflowing. I get one recycle bin pick-up and one trash pick-up per week. It's single-stream recycling at least, so I don't have to sort out the glass, metal, plastic & paper into separate containers, but I think it's only a matter of time before the County drops the program. As I understand it, more and more recycling loads are ending up in the landfill anyway.

I do because it's the only way to keep my trash from overflowing. I get one recycle bin pick-up and one trash pick-up per week. It's single-stream recycling at least, so I don't have to sort out the glass, metal, plastic & paper into separate containers, but I think it's only a matter of time before the County drops the program. As I understand it, more and more recycling loads are ending up in the landfill anyway.

So you recycle to make sure we don't run out landfills?

Interesting...

So you recycle to make sure we don't run out landfills?

Interesting...

No. I do it because the County went from 2 trash pick-ups per week to one, but gave us these giant single-stream recycle bins as a substitute for the 2nd trash pick-up (and will fine you if you put regular trash in the recycle bin).

And my reference to the County discontinuing the program had nothing to do with filling landfills, but rather the fact that the trucks that pick up the recycling are often told by the recycling center that they have no more room for new material and it ends up at the landfill anyway.

Reactions: KingDavid
No. I do it because the County went from 2 trash pick-ups per week to one, but gave us these giant single-stream recycle bins as a substitute for the 2nd trash pick-up (and will fine you if you put regular trash in the recycle bin).

And my reference to the County discontinuing the program had nothing to do with filling landfills, but rather the fact that the trucks that pick up the recycling are often told by the recycling center that they have no more room for new material and it ends up at the landfill anyway.

I pretty much only use the blue recycle trash can. It's all trash. Never got fined.

So why do you recycle? Fear?

I pretty much only use the blue recycle trash can. It's all trash. Never got fined.

So why do you recycle? Fear?
I haven't been fined yet, but I did get a warning when somebody (my cleaning service most likely) put a bag of regular trash in my recycle bin.

I recycle because even if it's a small amount, it's good practice to try to reuse materials. I know better than to think I'm saving the Earth.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Had the same problem as Bob. We have weekly trash pickup, but the "trash" truck will only take what fits in a single trash can. The "recycling" truck will take as many recycling bins/cans/loose cardboard boxes I leave out there. I have no illusion that they end up at different places, but if I play their game it all leaves my front yard, if I put it all in the trash can and put the excess in bags, it gets left at the curb.

I also have no illusion that when I drop off my 10 year old christmas lights at goodwill that someone buys them. They end up in the trash, but I still take a tax deduction.

I have a bin and use it. The normal stuff, soda/beer cans, beer/wine bottles, and canned goods. I should probably start cutting the amazon boxes and stuffing them in the bin as well. I know its not much but it is something.

I recycle plastics, glass and cans. I burn all paper and cardboard in my big fire pit. I love how it makes dark smoke which wafts over on my loud neighbors with 5 kids. My way of encouraging those frickers to move.

I recycle because I believe it is my responsibility to help pass this beautiful planet in to my children and grandchildren in better condition then it was given to me. To help them breathe easier, to give them cleaner water. No but really, I only get one black trash can and one blue can.

I absolutely do recycle. I also take steps to conserve energy, water, and re-purpose everything before throwing away in the trash.

Those of us that were raised by parents that grew up in the depression have had these values passed down from generation to generation.

Reactions: bls1972
Yep. College Park was only getting 1 recycling pick up every other week for a while but recently went back to weekly pickups. I try to recycle everything that I can/allowable.

From what I've read, everything except corrugated cardboard is a money loser for municipal recycling.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Have both large bins for trash and recycle and use both. Once our town changed from the small hand bin to the 55 gallon bin, recycling tonage doubled in our town.

Oh, and I keep them in the garage, like any non-white trash person would do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT