ADVERTISEMENT

Dr. Cartwright UCF President

I root for no matter who they think is a good coach for us. It’s just frustrating losing so much. If I lived in Orlando it wouldn’t be as bad. But I don’t and everyone knows I like UCF so when they lose I hear it at work and with friends. I thought we’d be good enough with KJ. Obviously not.
I'm in the heart of SEC country with more Auburn College of Engineering grads than Alabama here. Yes, I fly home (or even drive home) for the games. Trust me, I hear it too! But ... if you think Auburn fans are still blaming Gus for Freeze, let alone Harsin before that, you're reading too many Auburn article from 2019-2021.

A lot of Auburn fans would rather have 8 win seasons, and a coach that takes the blame, than sub-6 win seasons, with a coach that throws his kids under-the-bus. Because even the staunchest Auburn fans who wanted Gus fired 5 years ago are pissed at how Freeze is destroying their recruiting pipeline, because Freeze gets the exact opposite treatment (versus Gus) on social media from his former players!

More and more of them would say they'd rather have Gus back, and would be happy with 8-9 win seasons in the SEC West, with an infrequent sub-0.500, because he treates and respects the kids and parents. Auburn is going into the toilet, and it's not because of Gus. Again, stop reading articles from 2019-2021.

They now blame their own Boosters, let alone most 'Fire Gus!' people did not want Hugh Freeze! "He's the anti-Gus ... in all the wrong ways." More than one said that when Freeze was hired, and now that the Ws haven't appeared ... and Freeze has regressed in Year 2 (0-3 right now in-conference), they are realizing maybe they shouldn't be firing and hiring so much too.

Maybe Gus isn't the solution. But stop with the subjective, biased non-sense from back when Gus was about to be, or just after he was fired. Gus wasn't responsible for what happened to Harsin.

We did pretty well in the AAC, despite the literal state of the program after 2019-2020. People literally don't realize Gus had no class of his own in 2021, and did pretty good in 2022. We nearly won the AAC in 2022!

2023+ has been P4. Again, don't be unfair about this. And stop painting Huepel as a non-issue. He was. We lost to BYU by more points at the end of 2020 than all the prior games of the 4 seasons ... combined!

Heck, we lost to Memphis for the first time since we were barely I-AA/FCS (and they were I-A/FBS at the time).

I don't doubt the transfer aspect is an issue. I'm not going to deny that. But show me all the programs who aren't having issues! Even undefeated teams are having issues, and plenty of undefeated teams have 1-2 losses too ... especially in the Power conferences.

Start being objective about this.
I was against Huepel. Thinking the program was regressing significantly under him. I think i was wrong. He’s actually done a real nice job at Tennessee so maybe it wasn’t him. He was a guy who appeared to work hard and it wasn’t about himself. I’m not so sure Gus doesn’t think everything is about him. We need a more humble guy who puts UCF’s success first. Don’t have a concrete guy who that is but I don’t think a high school offense does it. Gerry Faust on steroids who got lucky with Newton

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT