ADVERTISEMENT

ECU planning to cut a sport(s)

Knight Strength

Golden Knight
Feb 2, 2018
I realize this is a bad look but I fully support Cincy and ECU cutting something. I'm even a little jealous that their football and basketball programs will benefit from it. You have to keep sports that are consistent winners and have to maintain a minimum number of sports for division eligibility and title 9 (conference membership/payout too I think?) but I don't see a benefit in keeping unnecessary sports. Keep what you need to meet requirements and drop the rest. Compete where you're competitive. It's good/smart business.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.newsobserver.com/sports/article242816081.html

Baseball and soccer seems to be getting the cut. ECU already cut Men’s soccer In early 2000’s So I’m guessing baseball is next.

Why baseball? That’s where kids get millions after leaving. Get rid of the sports where you can’t make much money going pro.

Reactions: shacket
Bowling Green just cut baseball. Highest paid athletes are soccer players. If that was the criteria, all schools would have to have men’s soccer. Messi is the highest paid athlete on the planet along with Ronaldo and a few others. Many Olympic athletes go on to make lots of money. I think it should be based on youth participation. That is who is playing the sport in the state.

Bowling Green just cut baseball. Highest paid athletes are soccer players. If that was the criteria, all schools would have to have men’s soccer. Messi is the highest paid athlete on the planet along with Ronaldo and a few others. Many Olympic athletes go on to make lots of money. I think it should be based on youth participation. That is who is playing the sport in the state.
I would also throw a curveball and say boxing, so much money for a couple hours in a ring. Not saying it’s easy just crazy money there

What would we cut?

I mean our Olympic sports do pretty well on a national level. They do well academically, UCF twitter was just bragging about the APR for Track, Golf, Soccer, Rowing etc. Its hard to cut a program that has accomplished a lot of the on and off the field goals the department has set for them.

I think the schools needs to do more local travel for Olympic sports and have football conferences be their own separate thing. It’s much cheaper to put Olympic sports on buses and travel around Florida and Georgia then on planes to Temple, SMU, etc. creating regional conferences only for Olympic sports. Would be a lot more fun for fans also.

My guess is that these schools were looking to cut sports before the virus. Seems like an opportune time to do so

Reactions: Knight Strength
Shouldn’t they just cut to the chase and eliminate football? The program has been a Marsha quality dumpster fire for over a decade now.

Reactions: shacket
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT