ADVERTISEMENT

Elections have consequences.

I'm sure he is upset because his legacy and all his executive orders are about to be undone. This includes his most cherished accomplishment, Obamacare.

That is the ultimate payback to Obama, his backers, and his associates - to simply obliterate his efforts.

His traitorous actions will be reversed, but unfortunately, the citizens will still be left with an additional nine trillion dollars added to the debt.

The "great" social experiment of having the first black president cost the nation dearly.
Those think along the lines of conservatives will have to work harder now.
More White Americans are aware of that now and hopefully will never forget it

I can't wait to see the growth our country has for the next four years for everyone.

The Republican have to do some work now. I want to see their plan to replace Obamacare

PLEASE do not get rid of ALL of his executive orders or my life is literally going to be screwed.

R House, R Senate, R WH come Jan. 21. There's no excuse not to repeal.
The only excuse is that they have to come up with something to replace it. I want to see how different it is (they have been working on it for 6+ years)

Reactions: MACHater02
The only excuse is that they have to come up with something to replace it. I want to see how different it is (they have been working on it for 6+ years)
Well obamacare was always designed to screw the people in 2017, after he left office. The people will be screaming to trash it by this time next year if they are not already.

The supreme court decided on gay marriage, that's not going to change. Trump is very liberal on social issues.

I said executive order, I am personally not so worried about gay marriage (yet). I am getting married in April and will be fine then.

I am worried that my fiance is here on DACA, which was an executive order that Trump said he would move to repeal. My fiance may not get kicked out of the country but he would lose his ability to work, which would be just a bit of an issue.

Byproduct of the electoral college maybe? Am I really going to take time out of my day and sit in traffic in California to vote for Trump?

How do these compare historically?
Overall turnout was lower than 2012 or 2008, but % was average since the 1950's. Not as low as the 1980's either.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Byproduct of the electoral college maybe? Am I really going to take time out of my day and sit in traffic in California to vote for Trump?

How do these compare historically?
That's a good point. I understand that electoral college system is designed to balance democracy with a republic representation, but it does seem heavily slanted towards a republic. Maybe that's the way it should be, as we were founded as a republic and always resisted the pressure to adopt this new idea called democracy at the time of our founding.

The Legislative branch's power is divided equally between the Senate (republic) and Congress (democracy). I'm curious what the results would look like if that division of power was extended to the presidential election. 100 delegates, 2 per state, winner take all per state. 100 delegates divided proportionately by popular vote.
Last night the distribution would have been:
Hillary (20 states = 40 + 48% popular) = 88 delegates
Trump (30 states = 60 + 48% popular) = 108 delegates
Johnson (0 states = 0 + 3% popular) = 3 delegates

Doesn't change the results, but it also doesn't take into account a potential higher voter turnout which might have affected the distribution of popular delegates.

I wonder if it would have changed any past elections. Probably Bush v Gore.

That's a good point. I understand that electoral college system is designed to balance democracy with a republic representation, but it does seem heavily slanted towards a republic. Maybe that's the way it should be, as we were founded as a republic and always resisted the pressure to adopt this new idea called democracy at the time of our founding.

The Legislative branch's power is divided equally between the Senate (republic) and Congress (democracy). I'm curious what the results would look like if that division of power was extended to the presidential election. 100 delegates, 2 per state, winner take all per state. 100 delegates divided proportionately by popular vote.
Last night the distribution would have been:
Hillary (20 states = 40 + 48% popular) = 88 delegates
Trump (30 states = 60 + 48% popular) = 108 delegates
Johnson (0 states = 0 + 3% popular) = 3 delegates

Doesn't change the results, but it also doesn't take into account a potential higher voter turnout which might have affected the distribution of popular delegates.

I wonder if it would have changed any past elections. Probably Bush v Gore.
I've always wondered if more states (especially the bigger population states) adopted the Maine distribution of electoral votes how the electoral college would vote. Maine tallies votes by Congressional district with a candidate each getting an elector for winning a House district, then the bonus two electors if they win the majority of the districts. But those rules are up to each state to decide.

I've always wondered if more states (especially the bigger population states) adopted the Maine distribution of electoral votes how the electoral college would vote. Maine tallies votes by Congressional district with a candidate each getting an elector for winning a House district, then the bonus two electors if they win the majority of the districts. But those rules are up to each state to decide.
That would result it something pretty close to what I pondered, but I doubt you'd ever get buy-in from the big states like FL, TX, CA. In Texas (the majority republicans) would never vote to switch to giving some delegates to democrats. The same result but opposite reasoning in CA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT