ADVERTISEMENT

Equal pay for women athletes.

Crazyhole

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 4, 2004
Just curious about this. For those who think that women athletes and men athletes should be paid the same, does this mean that male athletes should be paid less or female athletes should be paid more? If women athletes should be paid more, where does that money come from if there isn't the viewership or endorsement money? If male athletes should be paid less, are the franchise owners supposed to just keep that extra cash and give the players less? If a woman owns a franchise does she have an out on this and doesn't have to make any changes to her payroll?

i think the uswnt and usmnt players should all be payed an equal percentage of the revenue they separately bring into the ussf. the ussf needs to unbundle all the tv and advertising deals they have worked on. that way it can be very transparent. ticket sales, jersey sales, tv ratings, advertising, promotions, etc, everything needs to be separated out.

lets just say the magic number is 50%.
the uswnt should split 50% of the amount of revenue (x) they can bring in.
the usmnt should split 50% of the amount of revenue (y) they can bring in.

it will never be equal, but everyone would get their fair share. i doubt the women would actually want this though.

The womans world cup brings in a fraction of what the mens cup does. The women are given a 13% cut and the men only 11%. Thus the difference in pay. The women generate far less and make far less, though they get a bigger slice of the pie.

Reactions: UCFWayne
you also have to remember that the women are actually contract players while the men get paid each time they are called up to the team. not to mention that the womens contract also ties in their play in the nwsl. they dont seem to line item how much they get payed for nwsl play vs uswnt play. its very confusing and i try to follow alot of this stuff.

The womans world cup brings in a fraction of what the mens cup does. The women are given a 13% cut and the men only 11%. Thus the difference in pay. The women generate far less and make far less, though they get a bigger slice of the pie.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...ween-men-and-women-is-justified/#1d8d41306da4
Revenue Disparity Explains Pay Disparity Between Soccer World Cup's Men And Women

As Dwight Jaynes pointed out four years ago after the U.S. women beat Japan to capture the World Cup in Vancouver, there is a big difference in the revenue available to pay the teams. The Women's World Cup brought in almost $73 million, of which the players got 13%. The 2010 men's World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion, of which 9% went to the players.

The men still pull the World Cup money wagon. The men's World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion in revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women's World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams.

from another article:
The total prize money for the Women’s World Cup in France this July was $30 million; the total prize money for the men’s 2022 World Cup in Qatar will be about $440 million.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...ween-men-and-women-is-justified/#1d8d41306da4
Revenue Disparity Explains Pay Disparity Between Soccer World Cup's Men And Women

As Dwight Jaynes pointed out four years ago after the U.S. women beat Japan to capture the World Cup in Vancouver, there is a big difference in the revenue available to pay the teams. The Women's World Cup brought in almost $73 million, of which the players got 13%. The 2010 men's World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion, of which 9% went to the players.

The men still pull the World Cup money wagon. The men's World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion in revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women's World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams.

from another article:
The total prize money for the Women’s World Cup in France this July was $30 million; the total prize money for the men’s 2022 World Cup in Qatar will be about $440 million.

So basically, this is like players on a really great AAA team in the Yankees farm system demanding that they be paid the same as the Yankees, simply because they have a higher winning percentage and won more AAA World Series titles recently

Reactions: ChrisKnight06
The argument is ignorant. I’d like to know how our women’s team is paid in comparison to the other women’s team. I have a feeling they do quite well compared to the rest.

Reactions: Knight_Light
If Megan Rapinoe would just shut her trap and stop disrespecting America and stop being unpatriotic, she wouldn’t kill ratings and revenue

She certainly isn’t helping women get equal pay.
Just STFU and play soccer.

Watching her disrespect the anthem and office of the presidency was quite disgusting

Just watched all the videos

If Megan Rapinoe would just shut her trap and stop disrespecting America and stop being unpatriotic, she wouldn’t kill ratings and revenue

Watching her disrespect the anthem and office of the presidency was quite disgusting

And she keeps doubling down on it. She's basically sabotaging any hopes they have of increasing viewership, almost to the point of it being neurotic.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
And she keeps doubling down on it. She's basically sabotaging any hopes they have of increasing viewership, almost to the point of it being neurotic.
She seems a little bipolar. Very angry at times

Except that she didn’t kill ratings and revenue for the uswnt.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Except that she didn’t kill ratings and revenue for the uswnt.
Many people were so turned off, that they didn’t watch the final. Similar to the NFL players kneeling scenario.

Last edited:
Many people were so turned off, that they didn’t watch the final. Similar to the NFL players kneeling scenario.
i think the viewership for the wc final was around 15m. its still one of the highest viewed soccer matches. although i agree, it couldve been higher if they werent so divisive.

if they bring the she believes victory tour here to orlando, i will consider bring my family. it will depend on ticket prices. my girls are too young to understand the political side, but its still good for them to see girls playing sports at a high level.

i think the viewership for the wc final was around 15m. its still one of the highest viewed soccer matches. although i agree, it couldve been higher if they werent so divisive.

if they bring the she believes victory tour here to orlando, i will consider bring my family. it will depend on ticket prices. my girls are too young to understand the political side, but its still good for them to see girls playing sports at a high level.

It's a good number but for contrast, the men's knock out game in 2014 vs Belgium had 20M viewers. Not even a title game.

The US vs. Mexico men's game was played in obscurity on FS1 at 9 pm and still had 10M viewers.

Not to mention that the global viewership for the men's WC is something like 400-500M whereas the women's total viewership doesn't crack 100M.

It's a good number but for contrast, the men's knock out game in 2014 vs Belgium had 20M viewers. Not even a title game.

The US vs. Mexico men's game was played in obscurity on FS1 at 9 pm and still had 10M viewers.

Not to mention that the global viewership for the men's WC is something like 400-500M whereas the women's total viewership doesn't crack 100M.
almost like thats why the mens tournament generates billions, and the womens only gets around $100m.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT