ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN: Tests find high levels of contamination in waters for Rio Games

brahmanknight

Sep 5, 2007
Winter Park
GTY_guanabara_bay_dead_cat_debris_jt_140804_3x2_1600.jpg

The waters where Olympians will compete in swimming and boating events next summer in South America's first Games are rife with human sewage and present a serious health risk for athletes, as well as for visitors to the iconic beaches of Rio de Janeiro.

An Associated Press investigation found dangerously high levels of viruses and bacteria from sewage in venues where athletes will compete in the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic water sports.

In the first independent comprehensive testing for both viruses and bacteria at the Olympic sites, the AP conducted four rounds of tests starting in March. The results have alarmed international experts and dismayed competitors training in Rio, some of whom have already have fallen ill with fevers, vomiting and diarrhea.

Water pollution has long plagued Brazil's urban areas, where most sewage isn't collected, let alone treated. In Rio, much of the waste runs through open-air ditches to fetid streams and rivers that feed the Olympic water sites and blight the city's picture postcard beaches.

Brazilian authorities pledged that a major overhaul of the city's waterways would be among the Olympics' most significant legacies. But the stench of raw sewage still greets travelers touching down at Rio's international airport. Prime beaches remain deserted because the surf is thick with putrid sludge, and periodic die-offs leave the Olympic lake littered with rotting fish.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_...c-water-poses-serious-health-risks-test-finds

It was absurd to have the WC in Brazil; it's downright insane to have the Olympics there. I've been to Brazil, once, but I saw 3 different cities throughout the country. It has nice spots but there are SO many shit holes throughout the country. The cities are a weird mix of urban development, extreme poverty, and total waste and pollution throughout the streets.

In Sao Paulo we visited a restaurant on a nice road with businesses and high rises. It looked neat, clean, and trash free. Well, if you turned the corner and walked 3 blocks down you found where the trash goes: they just stack it up in THOSE streets. It looked like an actual trash junkyard, right in the middle of where these people were living.

The majority of companies in Brazil are stated owned, or have the government as a shareholder, so they get away with virtually anything. Paying off regulators is part of business down there and there's no oversight regarding environmental practices. The state oil company, Petrobras, is essentially the largest organized crime syndicate in Brazil.

The Olympics is going to be a clusterf*ck.

Reactions: USFSucks
I'm sure Brazil is worse but have you seen what happens in California after it rains? Beaches get shut down like crazy, surfers get all kinds of sinus infections and other respiratory ailments as well as the stomach stuff you'd expect.

Theyve none about this water problem from the beginning, and havent done anything about it yet. I doubt anything gets done in time for the Olympics either.

I heard on the news they promised to have 8 water treatment plants in place for the games, but are only expected to have 1.

No way I would go in that water.

I heard on the news they promised to have 8 water treatment plants in place for the games, but are only expected to have 1.

No way I would go in that water.

They couldn't even do rather simple things like build light rail to transport fans for the WC. Most every rail that they promised to install is half built, now has no purpose (stadiums are sitting empty), and yet the crooked contractors received all of their payment anyways. It's like something out of Vinci itself.

It's downright criminal giving countries like this the Olympics.

It was absurd to have the WC in Brazil; it's downright insane to have the Olympics there. .
Sure, but any smart and developed nation doesn't want to host the Olympics anymore, Boston actually wised up last week.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Sure, but any smart and developed nation doesn't want to host the Olympics anymore, Boston actually wised up last week.

The other 2016 finalists were Chicago, Madrid, and Tokyo. All of whom are from developed nations, and would have been MUCH better suited to handle the undertaking of getting a city ready for the event. There is actual infrastructure in place in those cities and construction in those countries actually gets done.

The other 2016 finalists were Chicago, Madrid, and Tokyo. All of whom are from developed nations, and would have been MUCH better suited to handle the undertaking of getting a city ready for the event. There is actual infrastructure in place in those cities and construction in those countries actually gets done.
I don't disagree, but really how hard did Chicago actually try? They had a billion different problems with their bid.

It's downright insane to have the Olympics anywhere. The IOC bends cities over and shoves a mandingo up their asses without lube.

I don't want them back in the US ever again

Reactions: USFSucks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT