ADVERTISEMENT

EU Is Planning a Ban on Single-Use Plastic Products

I don’t think we’ll see legislation like that here, but I do believe companies will start to take more of these efforts into their plans. I remember hearing something about McDonalds moving away from plastic straws.

I support this movement. Single use plastics are awful when you consider the shear amount they are used.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Good. This is one case where the free market does work since it is cheaper to use single use plastics but the downsides aren't felt by the individual company, hence no pressure to move away from them. The downsides are felt by the community as a whole as excess landfill waste

It's not a horrible idea. You can put water and milk in paper containers. I actually don't understand why people dont carry around their own reusable water bottle. It is so much cheaper to just refill it than buy 2 dollar water bottles every time they are thirsty.

Aluminum and glass are better options than plastic. Reusable grocery bags are everywhere very cheap.

Maybe soda companies could do a growler type refill system for their addicts.

It just seems like common sense at this point in history.

It's not a horrible idea. You can put water and milk in paper containers. I actually don't understand why people dont carry around their own reusable water bottle. It is so much cheaper to just refill it than buy 2 dollar water bottles every time they are thirsty.

Aluminum and glass are better options than plastic. Reusable grocery bags are everywhere very cheap.

Maybe soda companies could do a growler type refill system for their addicts.

It just seems like common sense at this point in history.
Sure, and i agree with you that bottled water is a horrible culprit of plastic waste. But now you're trusting a 3rd party water source for the refill with no guarantee that source is harmless. Sure, the overwhelming majority of times it is, but that's not a guarantee (Flint, MI?). At least with bottled water, you're buying from a trusted source and you maintain the chain of custody until it is consumed.

You're also at the whims of the local water taste and municipalities, such as Casselberry, have had water taste issues at times. And then there's the fashion of carrying around the expensive water bottle. Although, you'd think we could conquer that stupid trend.

Sure, and i agree with you that bottled water is a horrible culprit of plastic waste. But now you're trusting a 3rd party water source for the refill with no guarantee that source is harmless. Sure, the overwhelming majority of times it is, but that's not a guarantee (Flint, MI?). At least with bottled water, you're buying from a trusted source and you maintain the chain of custody until it is consumed.

You're also at the whims of the local water taste and municipalities, such as Casselberry, have had water taste issues at times. And then there's the fashion of carrying around the expensive water bottle. Although, you'd think we could conquer that stupid trend.
You're right, it doesn't guarantee the water would be safe and governments need to better monitor how they handle the water supply, but the same places that sell water bottles could offer refills at a fraction of the price (or free) by the same companies that produce the products now.

The water bottles aren't that expensive. I've had a double walled metal water bottle that I've carried around for years. I think I paid 15 for it. It holds 32 oz and I fill it up at home. I take it everywhere and just leave it in the car if I run into a store. I'm not much of an environmentalist, it's just so much cheaper and healthier to consume water that way.

You're right, it doesn't guarantee the water would be safe and governments need to better monitor how they handle the water supply, but the same places that sell water bottles could offer refills at a fraction of the price (or free) by the same companies that produce the products now.

The water bottles aren't that expensive. I've had a double walled metal water bottle that I've carried around for years. I think I paid 15 for it. It holds 32 oz and I fill it up at home. I take it everywhere and just leave it in the car if I run into a store. I'm not much of an environmentalist, it's just so much cheaper and healthier to consume water that way.
Maybe, but then the issue is creating the infrastructure to provision those refills. I suppose that you could do a big water cooler or a big tank refill and that could cut down some but I don't think there's any bottled water company (or very few anyways) that have that in place. You'd also want to tackle soft drinks at the same time too.

I carry a 1.5 L water bottle, that I fill up at home since I have a pretty badass water filter. Lasts me all day and its cleaner than bottled water (which is mostly tap water anyway).

I have a water bottle I just refill daily.

I’m always shocked how much more we recycle than throw away. I always think about how much would have gone into a landfill that could have been recycled if we weren’t doing it.

i think there should be some more proactive steps taken here about the single use plastic items. idk if id go as far as the eu is going but its got some merit. i think california is doing something similar right now.

I have a water bottle I just refill daily.

I’m always shocked how much more we recycle than throw away. I always think about how much would have gone into a landfill that could have been recycled if we weren’t doing it.
I think you'd be surprised how much "recycled" material ends up in landfills anyway.

There are corn based plastics that degrade in a matter of months and aren't substantially more than petroleum based ones. I would think this would be a better option for the US than a ban on single use bottles altogether.

There are corn based plastics that degrade in a matter of months and aren't substantially more than petroleum based ones. I would think this would be a better option for the US than a ban on single use bottles altogether.
i believe most milk jugs are made of this as the milk has a shelf life anyways.

Literally from the article:

The ban doesn’t mean that consumers in the EU will suddenly be unable to get these items; instead, products like plastic forks and knives with “readily available alternatives” would be replaced with products made from more environmentally friendly materials like bioplastics, per Reuters

Initially, that sounds great. As I'm sure you know, though, corn for non-food uses comes with many drawbacks. Rise in cost across the food chain that uses corn products and a shift in other crop production to corn to feed the new demand are just a couple that could have hard consequences if not handled correctly.

Initially, that sounds great. As I'm sure you know, though, corn for non-food uses comes with many drawbacks. Rise in cost across the food chain that uses corn products and a shift in other crop production to corn to feed the new demand are just a couple that could have hard consequences if not handled correctly.

True enough, but the use of corn for biofuels needs to end and the increase in production per acre should be more than enough to feed this without much economic consequence.

Reactions: ucflee

Also, crop rotation is still advantageous economically and necessary for soil health so I wouldn't foresee a huge change in the numbers of acres growing corn on a year to year basis. Maybe fractionally but in and of itself not enough to move prices.

There are some bans/laws similar to this in the USA. Styrofoam has been a big one, as is plastic bags. It's usually at the local level though they are banned.

Reuseable water bottles are pretty big right now, that's why you see those Swells and Corcksicles all over.

Like someone else said, I'm sure that some big chains are already looking at alternatives and once they can procure the correct thing, they'll make it into a big PR move.

I hope it is just decided that they do it here one day kind of like what happened with the internet EU stuff.

You know no one in America has any say over EU internet regz so lets force it on the USA. Seems legit.

I hope it is just decided that they do it here one day kind of like what happened with the internet EU stuff.

You know no one in America has any say over EU internet regz so lets force it on the USA. Seems legit.

Europe hates that every tech company of significance is American and not French or German. A lot of these laws are targeted at our companies out of pure spite.

Uhhh... Spotify, Skype, Trivago, Supercell, Zalando, Shazam, Mojang, Dailymotion, Soundcloud, Nokia, ... Europe is packed with successful tech companies.

Uhhh... Spotify, Skype, Trivago, Supercell, Zalando, Shazam, Mojang, Dailymotion, Soundcloud, Nokia, ... Europe is packed with successful tech companies.

Nokia? [roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]

The 1990s called and they want their tech company back.

Someone suggested Nokia? Lulzzzzzz

Oh man, that EU tech powerhouse

Toolbag won't read this, but Bob will... Look what 85 just said about Texas Instruments:
"They're actually a Top 5 semiconductor company in the world. 80% of their $13B in revenues come from the SC business."

Should I mention that Nokia is a $23B company?

Wrong again, Copernicus.

Nokia just signed a $3.5Billion contract with T-Mobile to build 5g networks. What a joke of a company.

85 shoots his load prematurely again. What else is new in the world?

ITT: chemmie confuses supplier contract with being pre-eminent market changing tech firm

[roll]

Nokia's market cap is a whopping $30B. Meanwhile, Apple has a market cap of $900B, Amazon will go over $1T in market cap soon, Alphabet has an $800M market cap, and Facebook has a $559B market cap.

All American tech firms. Hmm, anyone see a glaring difference there?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT