ADVERTISEMENT

Extra Fly Overs

ucfknightz

Four-Star Recruit
Feb 18, 2009
What was the deal with the AA flights flying over the stadium? I thought the air space was restricted during games?

It is from certain operations, but can still be used by atc. Not to mention that those flights may have been above the top of the TFR not that it changes that atc can use it. The reality though is the airspace isn’t sterilized from all operations.

The airspace is usually only restricted to a certain altitude which is usually low for something like the game. Over the stadium you're usually like 10000 ft which is probably way over the TFR

Pursuant to 14 CFR section 99.7, special security instructions, commencing one hour before the scheduled time of the event until one hour after the end of the event. All aircraft operations; including parachute jumping, unmanned aircraft and remote controlled aircraft, are prohibited within a 3NMR up to and including 3000ft AGL of any stadium having a seating capacity of 30,000 or more people where either a regular or post season Major League Baseball, National Football League, or NCAA division one football game is occurring.

A TFR (temporary flight restriction) for sporting events go up to 3000’ agl (above ground level). It is not restricted for air ambulance or law enforcement. If ATC (air traffic control). Needs to use that airspace they can. This requires the pilot to be in communication with ATC and only ATC can take you thru it. The TFR starts 1 hour before the event is suppose to begin until 1 hour after completion.

As a general rule of thumb we try to avoid taking anybody thru it. The Stadium for UCF is far enough away that it can be easily topped, but where I work the stadium is only 5 miles away. We constantly have to take arriving and departing aircraft thru the TFR to get them to and from the airport. If you want to overfly the stadium just to “spectate” you will be denied. Banner towers use to be able to get a wavier, but since 9/11 I haven’t seen any of those get approved. The only waiver the FAA approves is the blimp operations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT