ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Podcasts ?

UCFhonors

Todd's Tiki Bar
Feb 20, 2010
Mine are just:
NPR Planet Money - it's like a columnist telling stories about economies and business

The Tom Woods Show. - former Harvard history professor who loves economics.

Malcom Gladwell'a Revisionist History. - famed New York Times writer (wrote a few books) talks about the hidden realities of the world. Obvi a great story teller, and the stories, mainly the conclusion, will blow your mind.

Freakonmics radio - same as above with my boy Malcom but has economist as guest.

Econ Talks and The Justin Mor show - economics stuff. More academic leaning.

Whatcha got?

I like the Dan Carlin podcasts.

Hardcore History - Covers a wide variety of topics and goes pretty deep as well. The WW1 series was a little over 23 hours spanning 6 shows. Only downside is that the older classic series (WWII, Fall of Rome, et. al) are in the archive and no longer free.

Common Sense - Political current events podcast. Dan has a unique perspective on politics and is not partisan. He's anti-establishment for sure but doesn't follow any particular party. Interesting insights.

Reactions: KnoxvilleKnight

Hardcore History - Covers a wide variety of topics and goes pretty deep as well. The WW1 series was a little over 23 hours spanning 6 shows. Only downside is that the older classic series (WWII, Fall of Rome, et. al) are in the archive and no longer free.

Common Sense - Political current events podcast. Dan has a unique perspective on politics and is not partisan. He's anti-establishment for sure but doesn't follow any particular party. Interesting insights.
Have you checked out the "The Fall of Rome" podcast by Patrick Wyman? I'm about 1/3 of the way through - really interesting stuff.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-fall-of-rome-podcast/id1141563910?mt=2

I really enjoyed the Serial season 1 and most of season 2. The Shit Town podcast was absolutely excellent.

As far as regular podcasts....I mainly stick to sports. I subscribe to the Lowe Post by Zach Lowe to get my NBA fix and I've always been a big Bill Simmons fan and enjoy his podcast.

For non sports regular podcast, I've listened to one called The Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin Show for years. He's just a fellow nerd that talks or interviews other whacky nerdy topics that I find interesting even if they don't appear to be at first.

It's the exact opposite. Most old ppl are still stuck to the same FM radio stations playing the same old music. By and large they don't even know what podcasts are.

Yeah, I think podcasts definitely went through a lull a few years back, but they are definitely back in full force.

A lot of the major players kept at it, built a following, and found a way to monetize it which only helped the production value and overall quality of podcasts in my opinion.

It's the exact opposite. Most old ppl are still stuck to the same FM radio stations playing the same old music. By and large they don't even know what podcasts are.

Listening to blowhards that only want to hear themselves talk so they record themselves and post it to the internet. OK.

I really enjoyed the WWI series. I feel like he does a fantastic job with these shows.

Reactions: Great2BAKnight2
Listening to blowhards that only want to hear themselves talk so they record themselves and post it to the internet. OK.
Podcasts have changed to have a lot more production value. The more educational podcasts are excellent in terms of value and are loaded with information, but the political ones aren't too bad either. Here's the podcasts I follow closely:

- Dan Carlin's Hardcore History (by far the best in my opinion)
- Planet Money (story driven economics topics. More mainstream.)
- EconTalk (discussion based show with a different guest each week, covers a wide variety of topics in economics. More intellectual)
- Freakonomics (touches on tons of topics and relates them to various economic principles, cites papers for the claims. More mainstream and not extremely deep as compared to econtalk)
- You Are Not So Smart (Great for discussions on self-delusion and other cognitive processes. Interviews a new psychologist each week to talk about their research. I don't like the second half of the show though.)
- Security Now (Cyber Security related news/info)
- Dan Carlin's Common Sense (Current events but typically addressed at a very high level, such as political structures and constitutionality. Libertarian/Constitutionalist leaning.)
- The World Next Week (concise explanation of what's happening in the world - mostly unbiased)
- Unfilter (Mostly right leaning/libertarian review of the news. These guys focus on trends in the news cycle and try to "filter" out the rhetoric to hit the underlying meaning. They play full clips of quotes to give the full context. I recommend watching the video based version so you can see the clips.)
- The Fifth Column (Just added this to my rotation and really like it. Seems to be a very good balance with a republican, democrat, and libertarian viewpoint. The analysis by each is much deeper than in any of the other podcasts.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT