ADVERTISEMENT

Final: UCF 71, Tulsa 53

Knight_Light

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
UCF was up by 12 but now 4 at half.

Tacko has 2 tip ins but no other shots or dunks. Very few touches even though he TOWERS over his much smaller defender.

Feed him!!

I think if we could cut our turnovers in half, we'd still be one of the worst in college basketball in this regard.

43-38 Knights with 12 mins to go but Tulsa is already in double bonus so UCF will be shooting 2 on every whistle (non 3 pt shot )

If Tacko had 1 more point, all starters would have finished in double figures.

Good way to finish with just 6 scholarship players tonight with Tank out.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Getting close to NIT land now. Need couple more wins, and hope for few upsets in conf tournies.

Getting close to NIT land now. Need couple more wins, and hope for few upsets in conf tournies.

Would need to win most/all remaining games (including vs #18 Cincinnati), plus probably 2 in AAC Tourn.

Team would benefit from ANY post-season tournament...so hopefully UCF can take care of business (3 conf road games coming up, where UCF has struggled), and get into a post-season tourn and maybe play a home game or two as well.

Feb 18: at ECU
Feb 22: at Temple
Feb 26: CINCI
March 2: at usf

UCF was up by 12 but now 4 at half.

Tacko has 2 tip ins but no other shots or dunks. Very few touches even though he TOWERS over his much smaller defender.

Feed him!!
By playing 11 guys, they had the fouls to give to press full court, allowing us less time in the front court to run the offense. Still, Dawkins said after the game that he needs more touches. He got some late in the game once UCF began hitting from the outside. Teams have been collapsing on Tacko and daring us to shoot. Nick and AD hitting 3s opening things up for the other 3 starters.

Coach Dawkins' best post-game comment on a question about depth next year:
"We will have at least 13 scholarship players next year...as the 14th, my son, will be playing for Dad." (i.e. Aubrey won't use an athletic scholarship next year).

Having an extra "free" scholarship spot for the next 2 years could come in handy...especially dealing with injuries, academic situations (i.e. like DeJesus this year), etc...

Reactions: UCFhonors
"We will have at least 13 scholarship players next year...as the 14th, my son, will be playing for Dad." (i.e. Aubrey won't use an athletic scholarship next year).

Having an extra "free" scholarship spot for the next 2 years could come in handy...especially dealing with injuries, academic situations (i.e. like DeJesus this year), etc...
"best"? Not sure what you mean. That was all true 6 months ago. The best way to recruit is by demonstrating success mentoring and developing your current players and melding them into a winning team. That way, you don't have to rely on a potpourri of transfers accustomed to other systems and hoping to somehow get them to play together like a coherent team. It sounds like you expect next year's team to suddenly have a Cincy or SMU record in the AAC, dispatch teams like Memphis, Houston, and UConn on the road, and have any chance of doing as well as this year's team did at the Charleston tournament. Your many posts all year about next year's team unintentionally distracted lurkers from focus on this year's team and next year's recruiting still underway (and that recruiting class is indeed checking out how well our current squad finishes out the year!).

I know you care avidly about UCF hoops, but savor the moment: a team that's already had as much of a turnaround as the football team had far more success than Frost (who didn't beat a winning or name program or P5 team like Dawkins' has this year -- including signature wins over Charleston, Mississippi St., Memphis, and Houston (now on the NCAA tournament bubble), often by convincing margins. That's the way you lay the foundation for a future dynasty.

"best"? Not sure what you mean.

As in "best" of his comments last night. (Dungeon Members on this site got all 18 mins of video/audio of the players/coaches post-game press conf while UCF didn't even post the audio portion like they sometimes do).

It's been a topic since Dawkins took the UCF job and Aubrey announced he was transferring to UCF. Aubrey IS on scholarship this year while he redshirts.

Most Head Coaches and other Univ officials usually get a tuition waiver for their siblings so like many other Head Coaches have done (i.e. didn't put their kid on scholarship...so they basically had another one to give), this was the first time that Dawkins had announced publicly that his son would NOT be on scholarship next year...which would help give UCF 14 "scholarship quality" spots to use...which would really, really, help the depth of the program and/or give it time to possibly redshirt another transfer or help protect against the injury bug...i.e. like in lost seasons for BJ and Chance.

Are you telling me it's possible to have more than 8 players on scholarship? *mind blown*

Are you telling me it's possible to have more than 8 players on scholarship? *mind blown*

Don't want to jinx it....believe its been almost 10 years or so since UCF had the max scholarship players eligible to play.

Glad to see UCF pick up a conf win last night with just 6 eligible/healthy scholarship players available as all starters but Tacko finished in double figures (Tacko had 9).

Last two games, really cut the turnovers! Eat them words.
Ya know we did cut turnovers but why do we look like deer in the headlights when bring the ball up under a press. Dawkins had to take a time out to tell the guys.....look, don't try and throw the ball over your head to make a pass, there is something called a bounce pass..........and then we went to the bounce pass to lessen turnovers and move the ball up the floor. Call me crazy but wouldn't we be practicing this during the week. And if we are practicing this during the week, do the players just forget everything in the game?

BTW......nice win last knight! Exciting :)

Ya know we did cut turnovers but why do we look like deer in the headlights when bring the ball up under a press. Dawkins had to take a time out to tell the guys.....look, don't try and throw the ball over your head to make a pass, there is something called a bounce pass..........and then we went to the bounce pass to lessen turnovers and move the ball up the floor. Call me crazy but wouldn't we be practicing this during the week. And if we are practicing this during the week, do the players just forget everything in the game?

We sure did! Even BJ had a turnover in that sequence. They'd force BJ to give the ball up, then use a trap to get Matt into a corner. Once, everyone ran up court, leaving one guy in backcourt against 3 defenders. But unlike previous cases of us trying to lose the game, you're right that after the time out we were not only okay (kept Banyard back as a super tall guard), but we also successfully pressed them. Despite Tulsa's vaunted depth advantage, they still basically played with 6 and looked tired themselves. That showed on all their open missed 3s in the second half, which happens when the legs get tired.

As in "best" of his comments last night. (Dungeon Members on this site got all 18 mins of video/audio of the players/coaches post-game press conf while UCF didn't even post the audio portion like they sometimes do).

It's been a topic since Dawkins took the UCF job and Aubrey announced he was transferring to UCF. Aubrey IS on scholarship this year while he redshirts.

Most Head Coaches and other Univ officials usually get a tuition waiver for their siblings so like many other Head Coaches have done (i.e. didn't put their kid on scholarship...so they basically had another one to give), this was the first time that Dawkins had announced publicly that his son would NOT be on scholarship next year...which would help give UCF 14 "scholarship quality" spots to use...which would really, really, help the depth of the program and/or give it time to possibly redshirt another transfer or help protect against the injury bug...i.e. like in lost seasons for BJ and Chance.
Thanks. I just presumed he wasn't on a scholarship. I recalled how Kirk/Donny bought an extra scholarship when at least Marcus Jordan didn't use up one (was his brother?). Also, Nate's not on scholarship despite averaging as many minutes as Chad; his dad is assistant coach and he was a grad asst. (is he still? -- don't think he can). [Trivia question of the day: Who's the only starter with a perfect win record this season? Answer: Nate, team was 4-0 (three of those games, BJ wasn't yet able to play), and Nate averaged about 20 minutes playing time] [Bonus question: how many jump shots has Nate made? Answer: none (he even misses most of his 3 attempt in practice)].

Because we have only 1 ball handler on the court.

Matt made the ultimate sin at least twice by picking up his dribble, first just after crossing midcourt, which means he couldn't throw it backwards, and then another just at midcourt with 10 second clock Windows g down and teammates had to go forward.

Next year, there will be better ball handlers on the court then even BJ so the press shouldn't work as well next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT