ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Gus

The difference between you and I is I can admit when I am wrong.

TCU jumped out to a big lead. (I expected they would.) Gus stuck with the game plan. He continued to run the football. He stayed true to the team's offensive identity even when down by 21 in the second half. Gus didn't panic and start throwing the ball over the place. (I was surprised. I wasn't expecting that.)

It worked and UCF came from behind and won a HUGE game at night on the road in a hostile environment that most reasonable people expected it to lose. It was a HUGE win for the program.

I CAN GIVE THE COACHES CREDIT.
I don’t know man, I don’t think it has anything to do with “admiting I was wrong”. It’s weird that you went there.

I’m a UCF alum and fan, of course I’m happy they came back and won. The players were incredible down the stretch. But I don’t see how that changes the fact that coaches continue to struggle with clock management before the half (that has been a problem in the past). He continues to get burned by substituting late (which forces him to burn TO’s when the other team legally trots slowly off the field).

I’m supposed to apologize and admit I was wrong about what exactly? I’m not saying Fire Gus. I’m just pointing out that the game gets away from him many times through a season.

What a come back win for UCF good job Gus!
That was my thought. Reserve the FIRE THE COACH talk when we have a season like UF or FSU. I don't disagree we looked unprepared but the end result was a W. I can't support firing someone who wins games. I thought our Defense looked terrible in the first half of the game, however the second half we looked much better and dominated them. The only first downs they had after that were their two TD drives. The Offense struggled to move the ball but our RBs/OL proved we were capable of moving the ball. I thought our OL looked to be much better this year. Not only did we get big guys but we got big strong guys. Once TCU was expecting the run, we were capable of throwing the ball and that made a huge difference. I thought KJ looked better this game - he was throwing on the numbers and he spread it out amongst the receivers but Kobe was the one that made the big plays. UCF was picked to be the 10th of 16 teams in the conference this year. We just need to keep winning games. My expectation was to go 5/4 in conference and to go 2/1 OOC. So if we continue to win and we beat the Gators, then I'm happy.

Hurp
I think we have to get used to the fact that Gus ball is no where near what Frost and Heupel did here. No hyper space speed here. Ground and pound with RPO.

At least I didn't see any dumb a$$ gimmick plays.
Heupal had a great year w Frosts players but the second year was a big drop. He will and has done good with UT though.

Reserve the FIRE THE COACH talk when we have a season like UF or FSU. I don't disagree we looked unprepared but the end result was a W. I can't support firing someone who wins games.
An entire fanbase, or in this case the Knights' Rivals Football forum, gets a bad rep by this kind of silly thread title. It's okay to be frustrated when the team doesn't play up to expectations, but please lower the volume. This kind of stuff is incredibly bush league.

An entire fanbase, or in this case the Knights' Rivals Football forum, gets a bad rep by this kind of silly thread title. It's okay to be frustrated when the team doesn't play up to expectations, but please lower the volume. This kind of stuff is incredibly bush league.
Exactly. It’s utterly ridiculous and embarrassing.

And you probably work at mcdonald's and think you're some high up. Go back to flipping burgers buddy. The public defender comments certainly make me seem like you have no money, probably committed a crime and were guilty, but couldn't accept that. Or maybe a PD stole your girl while you were out flipping burgers. Nice to disparage people who, work very hard under constant pressure. And I am not a public defender. but by your logic I must be bad at my job based on an emotional response on an open forum. Nice hot take a**clown.

I can't be an emotional fan (short for fanatic) At least I have the level headedness to admit when I ws wrong and eat crow, something you have never done. You are constantly disparaging people on this forum loke an a**hat. Should we go back and look at posts of yours that aged badly.
Hahaha flipping burgers, have no money, committed crimes, guilty. Never heard of any PD stealing anyone’s girl tbh, so that one’s funny asf too.

Sure pal, go back and post anything disparaging I’ve ever said. I’ll save you the time, Huepel was a terrible recruiter with a detrimental offensive coaching philosophy for a depth lacking defense, as well as a bad recruiter. The only critiques of players I’ve ever said was that Mikey Keene and his 147 yard per game average with zero running ability was NGE. Was super weird how many people wanted that type of production when JRP with all his flaws was still night and day better for this team. Also, Celiscar was too slow and ineffective, all very true.

You are just too emotional to be a good lawyer, that’s all I’m saying. Definitely not a trial lawyer, cuz you just don’t have the poise or composure my friend. You have low level lawyer vibes, like a PD, a paralegal or maybe just some sort of law firm trainee who is just burnt out. All good though. You gotta start somewhere, but if you can’t handle the stress maybe you should try flipping burgers.

Last edited:
In 3 years Heupel lost 8 games. If that’s bad, what has Gus been? He lost 7 last year alone.
Ask a different question...

How many losses would Heupel have had facing the same competition and schedule over the last three years at UCF, had Heupel had to coach Hepuel's recruits (with national ranks between the 60s-80s)?

Gus put those losers on foot patrol!

In 3 years Heupel lost 8 games. If that’s bad, what has Gus been? He lost 7 last year alone.
I am not going to defend Gus, but Heupel took over a team that was undefeated and within three years things changed He was no UCF Frost but he seems to be doing a solid job at Tennessee. At Ucf it went downward from the first season on. This is no reflection on Gus but more so to the job that Frost did here. Hopefully Gus does the job that the Big XII requires.

Reactions: U C to the F
Gus didn’t do well in AAC. It makes it a lot easier to recruit with P4 tag. Heupel would be recruiting well here now as well. Gus can erase the horrible start if he wins a lot this year. If not, the sentiment of fanbase will be that another coach can recruit just as well as Gus but get better results.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
i hate how our fans can't see what a genius he is. it's like we're blind or something.
True...as Gus and the team didn't panic...stuck with the power running game...TCU D got tired and then KJ went over the top to Hudson.

Most HC's would have panicked but the staff and players remained calm.

KJ was cool as ice.

Reactions: jared151
Gus didn’t do well in AAC. It makes it a lot easier to recruit with P4 tag. Heupel would be recruiting well here now as well. Gus can erase the horrible start if he wins a lot this year. If not, the sentiment of fanbase will be that another coach can recruit just as well as Gus but get better results.
You may be right. Time will tell. Heupel got smacked around in his last year in the AAC competing against other AAC teams. If he was here, he may have done a good job, but we don’t know that. He did take a slide downward from his inception at UCF He is doing a good job at Tennessee, that cannot be contested. Gus is doing a good job at Ucf this year we can only hope that that continues onward. At the end of the day it’s about Ucf it’s not about Gus, only to the point that if he succeeds UCF succeeds as well. And for that reason, I am hoping for Gus‘s success.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
You may be right. Time will tell. Heupel got smacked around in his last year in the AAC competing against other AAC teams. If he was here, he may have done a good job, but we don’t know that. He did take a slide downward from his inception at UCF He is doing a good job at Tennessee, that cannot be contested. Gus is doing a good job at Ucf this year we can only hope that that continues onward. At the end of the day it’s about Ucf it’s not about Gus, only to the point that if he succeeds UCF succeeds as well. And for that reason, I am hoping for Gus‘s success.
Heupel's last 2 years in AAC he went 11-5...then left giant recruiting holes for Gus.

Of course Gus was stuck with Heupel's 2021 Class since Gus was hired in mid Feb of that year and Gus went 11-5 with 1 Conf Champ appearance.

Sadly for Gus...In his first year...he lost his starting QB in Week 4.

Then in 2022 and 2023...he again lost his starting QBs again.

Hopefully 2024 will being some good luck to UCF at this position.

Good team comeback but we should have had more points but for coaching decisions. The usual clock management end of half disaster mixed in. Then benefitted with them false starting at the 1 when they could have gone up 10 to basically seal it. Then nearly fumbled it away and had to rely on a missed field goal at the end. I’m proud of the team not giving up, but TCU also let it slip. Don’t think Baylor 2023 was well coached or they just got every second half bounce?

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Did he get smacked around? We lost to Tulsa who was undefeated in the conference and we always lose to them. That was our worst loss. Lost at Memphis when we missed like a 40 yard field goal. Memphis had won like 25 of 26 home games at that point. Lost by 3 to Cincy who was undefeated in the regular season ranked 7th and should have beaten Georgia in the Peach bowl. Then lost to BYU who was 11-1 with only loss was a close game at Coastal where they had like 3 days of preparation. I don’t see any losses to Navy.

Heupel has improved as a Coach..everyone forgets how young he was at UCF. He has been aided in recruiting at Tennessee bc NIL is legal now. It didn’t seem like he liked it at UCF compared to Frost and it showed w his effort in recruiting.

But I do agree that Gus is getting too much credit as a recruiter here bc of the conference change..every league UCF has been in it has been one of the top destinations for recruits.

Heupel's last 2 years in AAC he went 11-5...then left giant recruiting holes for Gus.

Of course Gus was stuck with Heupel's 2021 Class since Gus was hired in mid Feb of that year and Gus went 11-5 with 1 Conf Champ appearance.

Sadly for Gus...In his first year...he lost his starting QB in Week 4.

Then in 2022 and 2023...he again lost his starting QBs again.

Hopefully 2024 will being some good luck to UCF at this position.
His offense leaves his QB exposed and vulnerable to injuries. Of course KJ is not your average sized QB so maybe he survives

His offense leaves his QB exposed and vulnerable to injuries. Of course KJ is not your average sized QB so maybe he survives
Every HC has a style...others use deep 5 or 7 step drops which opens up QBs to blindside hits.

Heck...Gus even told Castellanos that odds were, JRP would get hurt again in 2023 and that he would play a lot (JRP got hurt in Week 2 at Boise St) but Coatellanos still left. (TC thought of coming back this year...as he realized Gus was right).

In today's game...NFL style QBs in college are getting $500,000-$1,000,000 plus NIL deals.and UCF will never be in that category so you have to have a system for another type to win college games.

Heck...we all saw how Milton got hurt under Heupel...but that Football.

Every HC has a style...others use deep 5 or 7 step drops which opens up QBs to blindside hits.

Heck...Gus even told Castellanos that odds were, JRP would get hurt again in 2023 and that he would play a lot (JRP got hurt in Week 2 at Boise St) but Coatellanos still left. (TC thought of coming back this year...as he realized Gus was right).

In today's game...NFL style QBs in college are getting $500,000-$1,000,000 plus NIL deals.and UCF will never be in that category so you have to have a system for another type to win college games.

Heck...we all saw how Milton got hurt under Heupel...but that Football.
UCF is noted as paying KJ well above 500 K

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT