ADVERTISEMENT

First 2018 Commit

As he says in his twitter account...
If I Get Florida I'm Locked In
1f4af.png
1f40a.png

Had a candid talk with a UCF position coach less than a week ago. Straight from the horses mouth, the reality of what they deal with isn't far from what we speculate on here. Fact is a lot of these kids commit to us early as a "safety school" and still take official visits, with the hope they can get a bigger offer. Also mentioned stories like that OL Sebastian Dolcine happen all the time when schools like Kentucky give a little "extra" to change minds.

Bottom line is UCF will always have this uphill battle at landing premiere kids when players look at us as the "Safety school". Definitely not impossible, and I loved what we've done so far, and we're changing the image. We just have to keep things in perspective.

Had a candid talk with a UCF position coach less than a week ago. Straight from the horses mouth, the reality of what they deal with isn't far from what we speculate on here. Fact is a lot of these kids commit to us early as a "safety school" and still take official visits, with the hope they can get a bigger offer. Also mentioned stories like that OL Sebastian Dolcine happen all the time when schools like Kentucky give a little "extra" to change minds.

Bottom line is UCF will always have this uphill battle at landing premiere kids when players look at us as the "Safety school". Definitely not impossible, and I loved what we've done so far, and we're changing the image. We just have to keep things in perspective.
It's part of the game and I don't mind the Frost strategy. Even though this last class lost a few talented guys, overall the class finished strong. Prefer this strategy over going after numerous guys from up North that nobody wants.

There are other considerations as well. Say Frost and his staff don't seem to have much success this fall -- a recruit cannot know that yet. Also, he can't yet know how successful a recruiting year Frost has this year -- the recruit doesn't want to sign with a school that nobody else of quality is committing to. In addition, committing early tends to endear a coach to that player and perhaps rewarded with more attention and early playing time.

Reactions: Miltonian
I like Frost's strategy of holding back a few scholarships for higher rated players to fall to us. We've got to be the top G5 program for kids to come to that can't make it in the P5.

I like Frost's strategy of holding back a few scholarships for higher rated players to fall to us. We've got to be the top G5 program for kids to come to that can't make it in the P5.
And a lot of opportunities for freshmen to play or even start.

T. Hill was a success story, hopefully Richardson makes it back 2 back years where having that extra scholly in the back pocket has a huge impact on the field

Reactions: KnightLife1
What everyone has to understand is it looks like classes like the last two are the new norm. After an 0-12 season there was basically no change in the talent level in our recruiting class...and we're gonna see some real studs in 2-3 years from that class. Our program has gotten itself to that level, so hopefully with continued success that will be maintained or grow, no matter who is at the helm. It's about getting your program to a certain level and I feel like we've done that. We have a good track record, regardless of some off seasons. I think we're going to be back at or near the top of the mountain in 2 years...once we find a capable QB.

Reactions: UCFProf
What everyone has to understand is it looks like classes like the last two are the new norm. After an 0-12 season there was basically no change in the talent level in our recruiting class...and we're gonna see some real studs in 2-3 years from that class. Our program has gotten itself to that level, so hopefully with continued success that will be maintained or grow, no matter who is at the helm. It's about getting your program to a certain level and I feel like we've done that. We have a good track record, regardless of some off seasons. I think we're going to be back at or near the top of the mountain in 2 years...once we find a capable QB.

I think it is safe to say that our talent level will remain the same no matter what, so long as we are in the AAC. We can work to be the top dog in the AAC but we hit the glass ceiling pretty quickly. Non-P5 programs don't get get much of a boost for good seasons or bad (See Boise, UCF, Western Michigan). What really matters is what the coach can do with the talent they get and how good they are at spotting diamonds in the rough.

We have to be the top tweener 1 program..or is that P6.

It's part of the game and I don't mind the Frost strategy. Even though this last class lost a few talented guys, overall the class finished strong. Prefer this strategy over going after numerous guys from up North that nobody wants.

Yeah i dont mind at all, in fact even like Frosts strategy. He knows we will lose a few kids here and there but that comes with recruiting higher caliber players across the board. I remember quite a few people including myself freaking out when we lost 3-4 in the span of a few weeks then ended up with a better class on paper than had we taken the 3-4 we lost.

Its all relative. Frosts knows his guys, knows the players he needs. At the end of the day, we will usually be just fine.

Reactions: UCFProf
There are other considerations as well. Say Frost and his staff don't seem to have much success this fall -- a recruit cannot know that yet. Also, he can't yet know how successful a recruiting year Frost has this year -- the recruit doesn't want to sign with a school that nobody else of quality is committing to. In addition, committing early tends to endear a coach to that player and perhaps rewarded with more attention and early playing time.

We also have to take into consideration that alot of the time our coaches sour on these kids for any number of reasons. Whether grades, attitude or any number of things. SO as much as we may see, its never a one way street with just the kid wanting to leave.

Hopefully the early signing period will pass and we'll be in better shape recruiting wise (having several recruits locked down before Feb.)
Hopefully a good amount of early enrollees too. The earlier you can get in an offense like this to learn, since we have a massive playbook (despite the limited number of plays we saw this year), the better.

Good point on an average or bad regular season will make closing out the class much tougher. I think anything less than 8 Wins would make it tough on the staff but Taggart was still able to do it after crappy seasons at USF but he is arguably one of the best recruiting whisperers in America

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT