ADVERTISEMENT

Fishing Charter gratuity

ucfbreath

Diamond Knight
Jul 28, 2007
If I charter a fishing boat for a day and it's got a captain and a mate, how do i tip? I read base is 15-20% tip but is that total for both captain and mate or am I tipping 20% to the captain and another 20% to the mate?

Tip the mate, they work on tips. Captains don't get tips. (Unless they don't own the boat and work for someone else then throw them a little but not as much as the mate)

Last edited:
Also don't tip baed upon fish caught. I've seen people do this and it's horrible. If they're working hard and doing things right then let them have it.

Also don't tip baed upon fish caught. I've seen people do this and it's horrible. If they're working hard and doing things right then let them have it.
Same reason I don't blame the waiter for kitchen screw ups. I've been a waiter. I know how it feels to go home with 1/3rd as much when I worked 3x as hard because the kitchen was a cluster that night.

Nothing if the captain owns the boat. He's already factored his cut into the price. 10% of the price of the charter if he doesnt. No less than $50 to the mate and no more than $100 or you will embarrass yourself. Hand them the money discreetly and individually.

If they think they deserve more than that, eff em. They need to get into another line of work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT