ADVERTISEMENT

For Those Going to the Military Bowl, Pack Warm!

CBlackwellRN

Silver Knight
Oct 21, 2001
Orlando, Florida
drchristopherblackwell.com
According to the Weather Channel:

“Mostly cloudy with snow showers developing during the afternoon. High 39. Winds N at 5-10 MPH. Chance of snow 50%.”

Hope our boys can adapt to playing in very cold conditions with potential snow. Hope to see many of you in the Stadium cheering on the team with us! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays fellow Knights! Let’s hope we beat Duke and bring home that W!

I am a member of the Weather Madness ,Henry Margosuity website ..the guy is a winter weather nut. There are a number of things lining up in the atmosphere such as the NAO going negative, the AO going positive and la Nina diminishing . There is a 1024 Arctic high pushing deep Arctic air as far south as the Rio Grande next week. Where I live in the Smokies it's dropping well into the single digits by Christmas Day . The GFS says a coastal storm around 26-27 time frame moving up the east coast . Add it all up and voila cold cold winter weather . The Euro has the storm along the Appalachians ,but both models depict it.

Any of the you native Floridians who dont really do cold and are going to the game . It's all about layering not necessary bundle up with a single big jacket . You want polypropylene based base layer and then some pants that shed some wind and on top base layer mid layer, insulating layer and a shell. Having a polypropylene base layer is important to trap heat close to the skin and be able to quickly move moisture to the middle layer which can be another polypropylene shirt or merino wool. Wear head protection like by Smart Wool ,protect The neck and wrist and you should be good to go. Get sock liners then wool socks.

Until recently I have done a bit of winter day hiking and over night backpacking trips in the Smokies . The key is layering ,the thinner the better in some regards and never put cotton on especially as a base layer or middle layer . If cotton gets wet it literally sucks heat out of you. I have a saying cotton kills . Buy some hand and feet warners at Wally world.

I will be there freezing my butt off too. If the forecast holds I am packing my North Face rain pants to put over my pack pants . 😆
Do not wear blue jeans if the forecast holds. Go buy some Columbia or REI pack pants . These are my tips and you may have your own..

I am a member of the Weather Madness ,Henry Margosuity website ..the guy is a winter weather nut. There are a number of things lining up in the atmosphere such as the NAO going negative, the AO going positive and la Nina diminishing . There is a 1024 Arctic high pushing deep Arctic air as far south as the Rio Grande next week. Where I live in the Smokies it's dropping well into the single digits by Christmas Day . The GFS says a coastal storm around 26-27 time frame moving up the east coast . Add it all up and voila cold cold winter weather . The Euro has the storm along the Appalachians ,but both models depict it.

Any of the you native Floridians who dont really do cold and are going to the game . It's all about layering not necessary bundle up with a single big jacket . You want polypropylene based base layer and then some pants that shed some wind and on top base layer mid layer, insulating layer and a shell. Having a polypropylene base layer is important to trap heat close to the skin and be able to quickly move moisture to the middle layer which can be another polypropylene shirt or merino wool. Wear head protection like by Smart Wool ,protect The neck and wrist and you should be good to go. Get sock liners then wool socks.

Until recently I have done a bit of winter day hiking and over night backpacking trips in the Smokies . The key is layering ,the thinner the better in some regards and never put cotton on especially as a base layer or middle layer . If cotton gets wet it literally sucks heat out of you. I have a saying cotton kills . Buy some hand and feet warners at Wally world.

I will be there freezing my butt off too. If the forecast holds I am packing my North Face rain pants to put over my pack pants . 😆
Do not wear blue jeans if the forecast holds. Go buy some Columbia or REI pack pants . These are my tips and you may have your own..
Man.

Where to begin...or even start?

• Haha
Reactions: U C to the F
Man.

Where to begin...or even start?
It's a great set up to push a big trough in the east with Arctic air pouring over the continent though mid January. It's been in the 59s here even 60s as highs in the Smokies until last night . Today it was 45 low around 26. It's coming.

Here is the thing . It's been mild in North Carolina and Duke is no more acclimated to play in 30 degree weather and snow any more than UCF. So , it will be interesting to see who adapts better to the inclimate weather here .

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
It's a great set up to push a big trough in the east with Arctic air pouring over the continent though mid January. It's been in the 59s here even 60s as highs in the Smokies until last night . Today it was 45 low around 26. It's coming.

Here is the thing . It's been mild in North Carolina and Duke is no more acclimated to play in 30 degree weather and snow any more than UCF. So , it will be interesting to see who adapts better to the inclimate weather here .
Your brain done been froze bro

Hoping you’re right friend. Snow would suck.
Yep, DC metro area doesn't get a lot of snow . Then again the Rio Grande area rarely sees sub freezing temps either but this cold air mass is bringing that region some deep Arctic cold.. it's not out of the realm of possibility with this projected weather pattern.

I hope air traffic is not impeded by the weather as well if this set up happens. You gotta wonder what attendance looks like if the shortt term forecast verifies with a 50% chance of snow ?

Yep, DC metro area doesn't get a lot of snow . Then again the Rio Grande area rarely sees sub freezing temps either but this cold air mass is bringing that region some deep Arctic cold.. it's not out of the realm of possibility with this projected weather pattern.

I hope air traffic is not impeded by the weather as well if this set up happens. You gotta wonder what attendance looks like if the shortt term forecast verifies with a 50% chance of snow ?
I'm a native Floridian and the snow is a huge positive for me. I know I might be unique in that but having never been around snow growing up, I love it when we get 3-4 snow days a year up here.

I don't think the snow will hinder too many people. People that are traveling from FL/NC are coming regardless, it may just hinder the very few UCF/Duke fans in the vicinity that were on the fence about going in the first place (on a Wed at 2pm I can't blame them). I think this will be a pretty empty stadium no matter what.

Reactions: Nautiknight

"Cotton's rotten"

"Cotton's rotten"
Well that's true hiking in the heat for sure . 😆. It's swamp ass when it's hot hot and hypothermia when it's cold and wet.

I did this one 3 night winter hike in the Smokies a few years back and we were staying at shelter on the AT called Pecks Corner. These 4 dudes decided to hike in their blue jeans from New Found Gap to Pecks which is like 8-9 miles as I recall. It started to sleet and rain and when they got to the shelter they were very cold. Thankfully they had dry sleeping bags to get into or otherwise things could have turned for the worse on them.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Super stoked Bowser isn't sitting out the bowl game. Coming from Northwestern and being a bruiser of a running back and snow games have gotta be his game. Hope his blood hasn't thinned out since!

If it is snowy the team with the best O'line and running game has the advantage.
He pretty much needs to play. Needs to get his draft stock higher.

According to the Weather Channel:

“Mostly cloudy with snow showers developing during the afternoon. High 39. Winds N at 5-10 MPH. Chance of snow 50%.”

Hope our boys can adapt to playing in very cold conditions with potential snow. Hope to see many of you in the Stadium cheering on the team with us! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays fellow Knights! Let’s hope we beat Duke and bring home that W!
Thanks mom

You’re welcome, Son (daughter?). Although something tells me you’re definitely NOT going to the game. Right? Too expensive for your budget?
Not all of us can afford to live in our own places and have to live in our parent's basement, Daddy Warbucks.

What a shitty thing to say, you ass.

Not all of us can afford to live in our own places and have to live in our parent's basement, Daddy Warbucks.

What a shitty thing to say, you ass
How did I perfectly predict YOU would chime in? lol Everyone on this board already knows you live in mommy’s basement, sitting behind your computer hurling insults at fans on this board who just laugh at you. And if you took my advice and got yourself a career, worked hard, and made something out of yourself, you too could be a, “Daddy Warbucks.” But instead, you just continue to be the Massengil you’ve always been, which is fine. You’re more entertaining that way (great example on this post that you completely lacked the critical thinking skills to comprehend the irony of someone mocking my comments about packing for the weather at the game by someone who isn’t even going—lol). Wow the truth— what a shitty thing to say, such an ass. lol

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT