ADVERTISEMENT

Frost at UCF vs Frost at Nebraska, article

San Diego Knight

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2001
La Jolla, CA
www.skillstorm.com
There’s always a lot of discussion about why Scott Frost succeeded here and failed at Nebraska. There were a couple of quotes in this article that I thought were interesting from some former assistants….especially the one about chasing stars in recruiting. Still looking for the original Athletic Article that’s mentioned here.

“The big issue? Frost’s approach at UCF worked because his lack of attention to detail and loosey-goosey style followed George O’Leary’s more militant attitude. Unfortunately, with the Nebraska football team, Frost was following Mike Riley, who was a player’s coach and had already tried the laid-back method.

The other assistant also made it clear that he felt UCF players were a bit more willing to learn and responded to what the coaching staff was saying and doing than the Cornhuskers’ players did.”

“At UCF, they just wanted people to love them up and make football fun again. Those kids wanted to be great. They just wanted to be loved and understood. We were a young staff. We’d play noon basketball. Frost would be playing too, and the players were jumping into it with us. Practices were short and fun. We coached off emotion. At Nebraska, I think they’d been chasing (recruiting) stars … and we (ended up) letting more things go.”

I was also interested to see what Oleary recruited Players contributed to the 2017 season and what Frost Recruiter Players contributed.

The Frost recruited players were all Freshman and Sophomores and the Oleary recruited players were mostly juniors and Seniors…which I think makes the offensive performance of 2017 all that more impressive. We also know that it’s really difficult to play on the OL and DL as underclassman.

Offense

QB - Milton- Frost
RB- Killins - Frost
RB- Taj McGowan - Oleary
RB - Cordarrian Richardson - Frost
RB - Greg McCrae - Frost
WR - Trequan Smith - Oleary
WR - Otis Anderson - Frost
WR - Dredrick Snelson- Frost
WR - Marlon Williams - Frost
WR - Gabe Davis - Frost
TE - Jordan Akins - Oleary
TE - Michael Colubiale - Oleary
LT - Aaron Evans - Oleary
OG - Tyler Hudanick- Oleary
C - Jordan Johnson - Frost
OG - Chavis Dickey - Oleary
RT - Wyatt Miller - Oleary

Also Frost recruits

OL - Cole Schneider
OL - Samuel Jackson
OL - Jake Brown

Defense

CB - Brandon Moore - Frost
CB - Mike Hughes - Frost
DB - Tre Neal - Oleary
DB - Kyle Gibson - Oleary
OLB - Shaquem Griffin - recruited by Oleary and never played, moved positions by new staff
ILB - Chequan Burkett - Oleary
ILB - Pat Jasinski - Oleary
OLB - Titus Davis - Oleary
DE - Tony Guerad - Oleary
NG - Trysten Hill - Frost
DE - Jamiyus Pittman - Oleary

Others

LB - Eric Mitchell - Frost
LB - Burgess Becker - Frost
LB - Nate Evans - Frost

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT