ADVERTISEMENT

Frost gets his QB for this recruiting class

I am glad we landed a QB. I hope he is not a freshman starter and we are able to gut it out next year with one of the upper classman. Not exactly a recruit "from our backyard" is he. I do think we had a kid from Samoa one time. Not sure which is farther.

Exciting times...rock 'n roll! Bringing the west coast (football) to the east. The old offensive flair of UCF football is coming back in spades.

Be curious to see how this all plays out. Will we sign another QB (Blocker)? Will Justin start this fall to let this guy mature? How many more recruits will come now because of the pieces coming together?

giphy.gif

Holman will be the starter this year. None of the other QBs looked at all confident out there. He has the best grasp on what being a starter means. Depending on how the season goes, the kid could see some time if he earns it. I was out in Hawaii for 2 weeks in December and saw a whole segment on this kid. Funny, because all he talked about was putting Hawaii's program back on the map (his best friend was probaby the top WR prospect from Hawaii as well). Guess in the end he knows how much of a trainwreck Hawaii's program is right now. There is a lot of pressure on Hawaiian kids to stay there.

Exciting times...rock 'n roll! Bringing the west coast (football) to the east. The old offensive flair of UCF football is coming back in spades.

Be curious to see how this all plays out. Will we sign another QB (Blocker)? Will Justin start this fall to let this guy mature? How many more recruits will come now because of the pieces coming together?
OL and DL is the priority where we need to get better....not the skill positions. We've never had a problem finding talent at the skill positions.

Holman will be the starter this year. None of the other QBs looked at all confident out there. He has the best grasp on what being a starter means. Depending on how the season goes, the kid could see some time if he earns it. I was out in Hawaii for 2 weeks in December and saw a whole segment on this kid. Funny, because all he talked about was putting Hawaii's program back on the map (his best friend was probaby the top WR prospect from Hawaii as well). Guess in the end he knows how much of a trainwreck Hawaii's program is right now. There is a lot of pressure on Hawaiian kids to stay there.
Is he really Hawaiin tho? Certainly not native. I hope the kid starts day one and gets the growing pains out of the way.

IDK about you guys, but I kind of want that Sawyer Smith kid back. Looking at his tape, he is legit the perfect type of QB for this system. Anyone know if Frost is after him? I'm sure he won't come back, but he'd be perfect here.

the Junior season hudl tape posted on Brandon's article

Impressive. The athleticism and quick twitch change of direction reminds me of Houston's QB Ward. The fact that his character and intangibles seem to be off the charts as well lead me to believe Frost has found himself a very intriguing piece for his first QB recruit. Excited to see what else Frost can salvage out of a shortened recruitment year.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Impressive. The athleticism and quick twitch change of direction reminds me of Houston's QB Ward. The fact that his character and intangibles seem to be off the charts as well lead me to believe Frost has found himself a very intriguing piece for his first QB recruit. Excited to see what else Frost can salvage out of a shortened recruitment year.

Yeah Ward Jr is 5-11 185 after a few years of college and he just dominated the American. Vernon Adams Jr is roughly the same size w similar mobility and he played great in the Oregon offense. Hope he enrolls in the Summer to get into the strength program before Camp

I'm waiting for the ink to dry... <--- can we still say that?

Watching the highlights, he looks short and quick. Interesting to see Frost recruit that type of athlete for QB, i.e. short. Mariota is 6'4". Does size matter in Frost's Offense?

Watching the highlights, he looks short and quick. Interesting to see Frost recruit that type of athlete for QB, i.e. short. Mariota is 6'4". Does size matter in Frost's Offense?
excellent point. I almost think with today's game, a QB has to have some height....i.e. Jeff Godfrey.

As others have pointed out, if he had ideal size to go with the rest of his make up he'd more than likely be out of our league. The pictures of him standing next to Frost (who was listed in the NFL as 6'3") indicate 6'0" is about right, so it's not like he's Nick Patti small.

I get the height questions bc UCF has run mostly a Pro Set offense for so long but we are not projecting for a future NFL draft pick. It's if he can run this system and win a lot of games in College whether he be 5'11 or 6'5. There are plenty of successful shorter QBs at this level in the Oregon offense or the Air Raid

By avg star per player we're up to #5 for G5 programs. I left out Akron who had only three commits but it is indicating an avg star rating of 3.0, which is incorrect because only one of the three commits is rated, while the other two have no rating. Makes me wonder if thier numbers are even right for every team. Some kind of value should be assigned to unranked players. Btw, someone might have noticed this but Houston got a 5-star DE to commit. That is just unheard of in the pecking order of college football. Up until now a pretty typical year was maybe up to 10 4-star kids committing to G5 schools. I hope he excels so other 4-5 star recruits can start to see that we are a real path to success, and not just fallback plans.

Houston really struck it ritch with Tom Herman, didn't they? Frost, I have no doubt will replicate the same!
It would be awesome if UCF and Houston could be good at the same time. Never seems to happen though. By the time Frost gets us back, Herman will be gone.

It would be awesome if UCF and Houston could be good at the same time. Never seems to happen though. By the time Frost gets us back, Herman will be gone.
I think that year we beat them when they were ranked was the last time. Also weren't they decent when we beat them at their place with Godfrey?

I think that year we beat them when they were ranked was the last time. Also weren't they decent when we beat them at their place with Godfrey?
The year that we beat them when they were ranked was 2009, we were 8-5. The next year 2010, we beat them with Godfrey (11-3) and they were 5-7. The year after that 2011, they went 13-1 and we were 5-7 and lost to them. Then we were good from 2012-2014 while they went 5-7,8-5,8-5. In 2015 they went 13-1 while we went 0-12.

OL and DL is the priority where we need to get better....not the skill positions. We've never had a problem finding talent at the skill positions.
Your kidding, right? When was the last time we recruited multiple highly recruited RBs? Also, an occasional break like signing Q (McDuffie) is NOT "never having a problem finding talent at skilled positions".

Yes, we found some diamonds in the rough but good talent wasn't breaking down our doors. The OL and DL will improve with new schemes. A lot of your so called talent already on our roster will be gone by the end of the year.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Your kidding, right? When was the last time we recruited multiple highly recruited RBs? Also, an occasional break like signing Q (McDuffie) is NOT "never having a problem finding talent at skilled positions".

Yes, we found some diamonds in the rough but good talent wasn't breaking down our doors. The OL and DL will improve with new schemes. A lot of your so called talent already on our roster will be gone by the end of the year.
Not kidding. If we can't block we aren't going to run or throw well. If we can't get any pressure up front we're going to remain a bottom half of college football defense, instead of top 20. Hamilton has offers from powerhouses FAU, FIU, Syracuse, Southern Illinois, Temple and Western Kentucky....and Miami. Is this what you consider highly recruited? Killins has offers from Miami, West Virginia and Louisville, and the rest of his offers were no better or worse than us. Micah Reed had offers from Florida, Kentucky, Louisville, Indiana, Purdue, and Vandy (point being they were P5 programs). Same year, 2013, Dontravious had offers similar to Hamilton. Overall, my point is on paper these kids aren't any better or worse than what we've pulled in the last 3 years or so. The only thing that matters is what they do out on the field anyways.
As for the guys you say will not be on the roster at the end of next season, you nor I have a crystal ball as to who will succeed or won't under our new schemes and staff, and very few players will quit or transfer if they like and enjoy showing up for work each day. Last season the coaches quit on a bunch of young, inexperienced players. A new staff is going to reinvigorate a lot of them. It's not like our overall program has institutional issues. UCF does very well to make sure they excel on and off the field. This isn't the NFL where you come in and trade or release players. That's not how college football works, or UCF runs their program.
Latavious Murray was recruited as a LB so where a kid starts is not always where they remain. We, like every other program has also brought in some good talent that failed to come to fruition on the field. We can only wait until next season and see what happens. This staff will do much better in recruiting next year as they will have time to establish and build relationships with kids and coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT