ADVERTISEMENT

Game Musings

goodKNIGHTnurse

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Oct 10, 2005
- Embarassingly small crowd (I don't want excuses from the apologists)
- We are not very good on offense
- Our quarterback play has been poor of late
- Defense has been better than expected (saved our bacon tonight)
- Why can't we get the ball to Jordan Akins? Is a mismatch against everyone we play.

Happy with the W tonight and glad the defense came alive in the second half but saw a team that came out with no intensity and less than great effort. I hope practice is uncomfortable next week, fortunate it was Tulane tonight and not a quality team or results would have been much different

As I've been saying, you don't just turn attendance around in one or two seasons, despite what everyone else says. The draw is in the stands and the tail gating, not just on the field. It's the experience of being there. It has to become a must see "be there." Guilt tripping people won't put people in the seats.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
- We are not very good on offense
- Our quarterback play has been poor of late
- Defense has been better than expected (saved our bacon tonight)
- Why can't we get the ball to Jordan Akins? Is a mismatch against everyone we play.

Happy with the W tonight and glad the defense came alive in the second half but saw a team that came out with no intensity and less than great effort. I hope practice is uncomfortable next week, fortunate it was Tulane tonight and not a quality team or results would have been much different

You made a really good point with getting the ball to Akins. On attendance,this weekend was schedule as an off week. Some of the fans made other plans this weekend. The rescheduled game is not good indicator of attendance. :sunglasses:

4 loses is the biggest reason I believe. It is what it is for us diehards.
Doesn't make any sense. Diehards attend 0-12 seasons. Close, exciting games is enough to draw the regular supporters. Only casual fans use winning percentage as a decisive factor.

About the attendance, it wasnt horrendous after we settled in. Wasnt great. Edc and rescheduled game had a lot to do with it so I kind of understand. Gotta remember we were playing tulane lol.

Reactions: Mikesi
Yeah, and the weather was so horrible. There were so many other games at that time of day. I watched a bit of the Miami game played in a downpour. But the crowd never stopped cheering. And Miami's known for fickle crowds.

Big game next weekend. We could clinch bowl eligibility. I'll be there, but here's what we'll be saying about next weekend's attendance: 1) students partied the night before, 2) it's a noon game, too hot! Who's idea was this game time anyway, O'Leary's?, 3) parents have to take their kids to a) birthday parties, or b) kids' little league game conflicts with the noon kickoff. Any of those is my prediction for next week's sorry ass attendance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stetson_1883
Doesn't make any sense. Diehards attend 0-12 seasons. Close, exciting games is enough to draw the regular supporters. Only casual fans use winning percentage as a decisive factor.
People want to spend their money on the "in and cool" thing. Win games and play or win vs good competition.

If Alabama was 0-12 and played in the American vs Tulane do you think that they would be selling out??? Our attendance is fine for what and where we are in college football. The numbers prove that

Reactions: HammerB08
You made a really good point with getting the ball to Akins. On attendance,this weekend was schedule as an off week. Some of the fans made other plans this weekend. The rescheduled game is not good indicator of attendance. :sunglasses:
Milton missed him for a long gain on one play and a touchdown on another.
Frost knows it's a mismatch and so is Killins.

My wife and I went. Easy parking, easy to move seats, plenty of stretch areas. Sat behind the team on the 40 first half, then my tix in North end zone, then ended up by the band. It was a great night for UCF football. Weather was perfect and the light crowd is nice for me and my enjoyment of the game. 5pm kick off times are awesome. Had time to visit an area bar/restaurant after the game and still got home at 10:30pm (live in brevard). Great Defense last night. Agreed on the offense, but Tulane was tough on defense. It was great to see all those pick sixes! Go Knights!

And...what about the behind the back statue of liberty plays? A new wrinkle in the offense!
See the other thread. And glad you also enjoyed the game. We need more game promotions for alums and commuter students in our vast hinterlands.

While Danny White has hired a lot of new coaches and has helped raised badly needed donations...he is finally figuring out that even with 63,000 students and 240,000 alumni...while located in a metro area of over 2 million people...one just won't automatically show up for games...even if they don't need a ticket (students).

I think he finally realizes he needs some major marketing help...and a lot more focus to this activity...as he was up early today..already "begging" people to show up for our Noon game next week.

White now knows that if you don't sell a huge majority of all available tix as season tix PRIOR to the start of the season...there is no way in heck you can sell 16,000 plus single game tix to most games.

While Danny White has hired a lot of new coaches and has helped raised badly needed donations...he is finally figuring out that even with 63,000 students and 240,000 alumni...while located in a metro area of over 2 million people...one just won't automatically show up for games...even if they don't need a ticket (students).
I think he finally realizes he needs some major marketing help...and a lot more focus to this activity...as he was up early today..already "begging" people to show up for our Noon game next week.
White now knows that if you don't sell a huge majority of all available tix as season tix PRIOR to the start of the season...there is no way in heck you can sell 16,000 plus single game tix to most games.
Correct. As he'll discover with basketball, too. We'll see how new ticket plans, floor seating, etc. does.
Also, welcome Danny to an urban university! UCLA, MIami, Georgia Tech, etc. have always face major attendance problems that statewide flagships (mostly located in smaller cities and towns) never have.

Great! I'm in Vegas at a conference. First game that I missed in years, but my friend took his son to his first game with my tickets.

Good job. Way to turn a huge disappointment into a positive.

I took a family with me when my friend couldn't make the game. That's how us diehards can help the program.

Reactions: Mikesi

All very true. I'm confident that he'll figure it out and come up with some innovative idea.

Personally I think the "15 anyway" basketball season tickets is one the most innovative athletic dept ideas I've seen.

Too many positive points to list. The athletics dept has done an excellent job so far though.

All very true. I'm confident that he'll figure it out and come up with some innovative idea.

Personally I think the "15 anyway" basketball season tickets is one the most innovative athletic dept ideas I've seen.

Too many positive points to list. The athletics dept has done an excellent job so far though.

I hope he figures it out...as most from out of town haven't.

UCF is giving away 1,000 t-shirts to the men's season hoop opener on Monday, Nov 14th...how many students will show up for Game 2 (Nov 26) or Game 3 (Nov 30th)?

Yes, the "anytime" tix is a great idea...(something UCF Baseball did a few years back with 5-10 game packs...then took it away for some REALLY dumb reason)

Reactions: UCFhonors

EDC during the planned bye week hurt student turnout vs Tulane but Noon is another challenge. hopefully they show

Reactions: UCFhonors
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT