ADVERTISEMENT

Gay Dude is Running for President

I’m not saying I’m voting for him. I don’t know enough about him yet to make that decision.

It’s pretty cool for me to see though.

I get that, and didn't mean for it to be disrespectful if you took it that way. I can see people voting for him solely based on the fact and that would be bad. I have family members that will blindly vote for him regardless of his policies because he is openly gay.

I was impressed with what I read about him today. I hope he does well, regardless of party we need more younger voices that are DC status quo.

I get that, and didn't mean for it to be disrespectful if you took it that way. I can see people voting for him solely based on the fact and that would be bad. I have family members that will blindly vote for him regardless of his policies because he is openly gay.

I get you - and I'm sure that's true for some people - however - I'm hopeful that people will educate themselves this time around.

Him being gay obviously caught my eye. I also like that he's a bit younger. He's quite an impressive individual - from his education to his Navy service - he seems like he'll have quite the future.

Many articles I've seen think this is more of a long play for him. If he can get any sort of traction - he'll boost his name recognition as he continues in politics. It also plants the seed for future LGBT candidates for presidential office.

I know "most people" don't care that he's gay but I think there's still enough of the population that would have a problem with it that he couldn't win a general election - yet. He also doesn't mention religion anywhere on his site - which is a tough sell for President.

We have AOC that is barely old enough to drink. She has the brains of a rock though.

Youth obviously doesn't automatically equal a good candidate, the good thing is he will have a long primary to vet him if he gains any traction. Comparing him to AOC because is young would be no different than comparing Donald Trump to Bernie Sanders because of age.

Don't get me wrong, the odds I would vote for this guy are slim-to-none based on his policy positions, but it is refreshing to see fresh blood from either party rather than the entrenched retreads.

Why exactly does it matter who he chooses to have sex with something that is worthy of comment?

Guy who has sex with inanimate objects declares candidacy.

Woman who has lived a life of monogamous sex declares candidacy.

Transgender celibate person declares candidacy.

Why would any of these be worthy of discussion?

Why exactly does it matter who he chooses to have sex with something that is worthy of comment?

identity politics

Literally, there is a guy who wears a boot on his head and carries around a giant toothbrush running for president. Not newsworthy

Reactions: UCFWayne
Literally, there is a guy who wears a boot on his head and carries around a giant toothbrush running for president. Not newsworthy
Vermin Supreme would be a great president. I would love to get a free pony, at least my kids would anyways.

Vermin Supreme would be a great president. I would love to get a free pony, at least my kids would anyways.
Can we please just have an election where our choices are vermin supreme and "the rent is too damn high" guy? This country needs real leadership. I don't like having to choose between the gay dude and mike pence.

Because to young gay people it’s aspirational. Just like the first women president or black president.

This is a big deal because it’s the first openly gay elected official to run for this office for a major party.

When I was growing up, there were barely gay elected officials period. This is huge for my community and it feels good.

You say, why does it matter? Yet to a good portion of people they wouldn’t even vote for a gay guy.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Because to young gay people it’s aspirational. Just like the first women president or black president.

This is a big deal because it’s the first openly gay elected official to run for this office for a major party.

When I was growing up, there were barely gay elected officials period. This is huge for my community and it feels good.

You say, why does it matter? Yet to a good portion of people they wouldn’t even vote for a gay guy.

I agree with a lot of this. I also get where crazyhole is coming from, because also don't care what people are attracted to. However, the proliferation of gay acceptance is still relatively new, and there are still many people who would view it as disqualifying, unfortunately. I can't wait for the day it goes from "gay athlete" or "gay politician" to just athlete and politician but we aren't there yet.

I agree with a lot of this. I also get where crazyhole is coming from, because also don't care what people are attracted to. However, the proliferation of gay acceptance is still relatively new, and there are still many people who would view it as disqualifying, unfortunately. I can't wait for the day it goes from "gay athlete" or "gay politician" to just athlete and politician but we aren't there yet.

Amen, would love that day to come - we're getting there - but there's still a ways to go.

The only people who care whether a person is gay are those with an agenda. The point of the OP wasn't to uphold the merits of this individual, it was to point out that he is gay. If it doesnt matter what his sexual preferences are then why make it a point to comment on it?

"Man who has sex with horses every other thursday except during lent runs for president"

"Woman who likes having sex with 2 men at the same time runs for president "

"Man who has regular sex with another man runs for president"

"VP Mike Pence has decided to run for president. He only does it missionary style and only with his wife"

Reactions: DaShuckster
He worked on the 2004 Kerry campaign. I'll have to ask my colleague what he thinks of him, as he did the same.

I usually agree with most of my colleague's views. We're both Libertarians when it comes to personal freedoms, with him having more fiscally liberal views, while I have more traditional American Libertarian views.

The only people who care whether a person is gay are those with an agenda. The point of the OP wasn't to uphold the merits of this individual, it was to point out that he is gay. If it doesnt matter what his sexual preferences are then why make it a point to comment on it?

"Man who has sex with horses every other thursday except during lent runs for president"

"Woman who likes having sex with 2 men at the same time runs for president "

"Man who has regular sex with another man runs for president"

"VP Mike Pence has decided to run for president. He only does it missionary style and only with his wife"

Because for young gay men - and even somewhat older gay men like myself - seeing someone who is gay run for the office is cool to see.

Would I vote for him purely because he’s gay? No.

But it’s cool a gay guy is running. As I mentioned before there’s still a good chunk of people who would never vote for a gay guy simply because he’s gay.

Because for young gay men - and even somewhat older gay men like myself - seeing someone who is gay run for the office is cool to see.

But it’s cool a gay guy is running. As I mentioned before there’s still a good chunk of people who would never vote for a gay guy simply because he’s gay.
Yep and there are people who will vote for him just because he's gay

We're both Libertarians

giphy.gif

Reactions: btbones
People said the former, but it ended up being a lot more of the latter, with President Obama. And like Obama, he's a 'Dark Horse.'

Even a lot of Gen-Z Christians are pro-marriage equality, as the MAGA kids proved in DC.

You need to stop listening to others, including whatever media you choose. I’ve never cared what race, sex, religion or sexual orientation a person is for any job, including politician. I would say most people out there care about what their policies are. It’s the radical fringe on both sides that make the noise that makes people think these are real issues. They are also the same people getting rich off of the noise. I would vote for a gay person no problem if they believed in the same policies I did.

You need to stop listening to others, including whatever media you choose. I’ve never cared what race, sex, religion or sexual orientation a person is for any job, including politician. I would say most people out there care about what their policies are. It’s the radical fringe on both sides that make the noise that makes people think these are real issues. They are also the same people getting rich off of the noise. I would vote for a gay person no problem if they believed in the same policies I did.

I understand that YOU never cared but that's not the case for a large portion of American society. It's gotten better - yes - but there's still lots of work to go.

Maybe it's because you've never been called a f@g in public or been told I'm not allowed to hold my boyfriends hand in public by random strangers.

I would never vote for someone based on something like sexual orientation, race or gender. That doesn't mean it's nice to see.

I understand that YOU never cared but that's not the case for a large portion of American society. It's gotten better - yes - but there's still lots of work to go.

Maybe it's because you've never been called a f@g in public or been told I'm not allowed to hold my boyfriends hand in public by random strangers.

I would never vote for someone based on something like sexual orientation, race or gender. That doesn't mean it's nice to see.
It’s gotten a lot better. The portion sticks out more now because it’s easier to notice the loud idiot that the silent crowd.

I’m a straight guy who got called a fag and a lot worse throughout the 80’s and 90’s because my primary sport was figure skating. Not to go all, my friends were gay, but a lot of the people I hung with then and now are gay. The slurs were wrong then and it’s wrong now. But the general public has matured and the level of understanding between the 80’s and now is night and day. I play in the NAGAA softball league on Sundays and tournaments now and still have a large number of gay friends, including the man who officiated my marriage in 2017. Things that were commonly directed against our group in the 80’s and 90’s are extremely rare now.

Will the “it’s better but long way to go” ever become “it’s better?”

It’s gotten a lot better. The portion sticks out more now because it’s easier to notice the loud idiot that the silent crowd.

I’m a straight guy who got called a fag and a lot worse throughout the 80’s and 90’s because my primary sport was figure skating. Not to go all, my friends were gay, but a lot of the people I hung with then and now are gay. The slurs were wrong then and it’s wrong now. But the general public has matured and the level of understanding between the 80’s and now is night and day. I play in the NAGAA softball league on Sundays and tournaments now and still have a large number of gay friends, including the man who officiated my marriage in 2017. Things that were commonly directed against our group in the 80’s and 90’s are extremely rare now.

Will the “it’s better but long way to go” ever become “it’s better?”

I think it will - eventually - but it's not quite there. In larger cities - I think you're at the point where it's better but there are still many, many people who are still kicked out of their house, disowned by their family or made to feel like they are inferior just because of who they are. While that is still happening, I find it hard to claim "everything is okay".

The thing is there will also be a whole lot of people who won't because he's gay. By and large a lot of voters are superficial. Whether it be sexuality, race, gender, religion, good looks etc, they will vote just for that reason.

I get why this is significant to the OP. Gay people still have a long way to go in terms of acceptance in our country. While I am straight, I can understand why to a gay person this would be exciting.

Heck, I'm 29 years old and until probably 4-5 years ago I thought gay marriage should be banned. While being gay isn't a minority, it is certainly a class of people who continue to face persecution from a large segment of our country.

Reactions: bqknight
I think it will - eventually - but it's not quite there. In larger cities - I think you're at the point where it's better but there are still many, many people who are still kicked out of their house, disowned by their family or made to feel like they are inferior just because of who they are. While that is still happening, I find it hard to claim "everything is okay".
I understand your point. I’m not sure if that’s a society thing or an individual thing. American society isn’t forcing people to displace their gay children. I think society today looks down on those kinds of actions more often than not. But there’s also an unwillingness to interfere in family dynamics.

I understand your point. I’m not sure if that’s a society thing or an individual thing. American society isn’t forcing people to displace their gay children. I think society today looks down on those kinds of actions more often than not. But there’s also an unwillingness to interfere in family dynamics.

I get what you’re saying. We just have different ways of looking at it, I think.

I know some folks in a gay softball league. It’s cool you do that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT