ADVERTISEMENT

General Consensus after the Spring Game

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
Every year the players say they have goal to win the championship. After the spring game day this Saturday I'd like to hear your consensus on potential to do this. In order to win the Division and get into the Conference Championship we need the following wins:

Sat, Sep 2 vs FIU (young team must win for confidence) *W
Sat, Sep 9 vs Memphis (not mandatory but would be nice home win)
Sat, Sep 16 vs Georgia Tech (nice but not sure about this one)
Sat, Sep 23 at Maryland (don't think so after we folded last year)
Sat, Sep 30 vs Maine (young team must win for confidence) *W
Sat, Oct 7 at Cincinnati (not mandatory but they have new coaching staff)
Sat, Oct 14 vs ECU (mandatory) *W
Sat, Oct 21 at Navy (not mandatory but this would be sweet win)
Sat, Nov 4 at SMU (young team has to win a game like this on the road to be taken serious) *W
Sat, Nov 11 vs Connecticut (mandatory) *W
Sat, Nov 18 at Temple (mandatory) *W
Fri, Nov 24 vs South Florida (mandatory) *W

Note: 7 wins could get UCF into the championship game but beating Temple on the road and
USF at home will be tough to do if this team isn't on a roll by second half of season. This
is why people are saying USF is favorite this year. We could get into a bowl game again with 6 wins and lose 2 games in division. I believe in 2018, we will be in the driver seat but you never know about each season until they suit up and play what will happen this year.

What do you see UCF doing with its schedule after spring game?

Reactions: Knight_Light
I am sure it is their goal. This team was a disaster 1.5 years ago, and I had no expectations of it being a contender in year 2 under a first time coach. Next year would be when I expect us to be contenders again.

Reactions: muckdawg24
Just back from the spring game. I get great mileage from my old time machine. The number 1 squad really stuck it to the number 2s, though there were a few great individual plays by the backups. They could push the starters for playing time this fall. The crowd, 19,812, though not as large as the previous year, made up for it by its cheering. Lots of newer faces as unsung reserved, last year's scout teamers, and a couple early entrants made their presence felt.

Milton garnered the most focus, and he seldom disappointed. Mackenzie even helped prevent a touchdown on the run back following a shoe-top interception. The run game is still a work in progress, especially on short yardage plays. Though holes closed quickly for the running back corp, the offensive line pass protect usually held up against the strong rush and occasional blitz.

Milton took off for a couple first downs. He was also especially sharp on the first drive, going 4 of 5 and just overthrowing Smith on a post pattern. The defensive rush later adjusted and successfully batted down two straight passes on their second possession. Special teams looked solid, and the 47 yard field goal attempt had plenty of distance but was just wide.

Every year the players say they have goal to win the championship. After the spring game day this Saturday I'd like to hear your consensus on potential to do this. In order to win the Division and get into the Conference Championship we need the following wins:

Sat, Sep 2 vs FIU (young team must win for confidence) *W
Sat, Sep 9 vs Memphis (not mandatory but would be nice home win)
Sat, Sep 16 vs Georgia Tech (nice but not sure about this one)
Sat, Sep 23 at Maryland (don't think so after we folded last year)
Sat, Sep 30 vs Maine (young team must win for confidence) *W
Sat, Oct 7 at Cincinnati (not mandatory but they have new coaching staff)
Sat, Oct 14 vs ECU (mandatory) *W
Sat, Oct 21 at Navy (not mandatory but this would be sweet win)
Sat, Nov 4 at SMU (young team has to win a game like this on the road to be taken serious) *W
Sat, Nov 11 vs Connecticut (mandatory) *W
Sat, Nov 18 at Temple (mandatory) *W
Fri, Nov 24 vs South Florida (mandatory) *W

Note: 7 wins could get UCF into the championship game but beating Temple on the road and
USF at home will be tough to do if this team isn't on a roll by second half of season. This
is why people are saying USF is favorite this year. We could get into a bowl game again with 6 wins and lose 2 games in division. I believe in 2018, we will be in the driver seat but you never know about each season until they suit up and play what will happen this year.

What do you see UCF doing with its schedule after spring game?
To get into conference championship all conference games are mandatory. FIU is not. Although I want more than just a conference championship. I'm hoping 10 wins if we figure out QB situation.

Looking at our schedule going 1-3 is possible the 1st 4 games. Memphis is supposed to be one of the best teams.

Did our Oline improve at all? If not a major improvement in the OL it will be an average season. If the Oline is decent we could fight for a top spot.

Only games im really not confident about are GT and Maryland, mostly because GT is a triple option team who can give fits to teams without deep linebacking cores. Then the fact we play a growing Maryland team the following week after a triple option, nobody plays well the week after playing a triple option team.

Reactions: Brc75
To get into conference championship all conference games are mandatory. FIU is not. Although I want more than just a conference championship. I'm hoping 10 wins if we figure out QB situation.
Agreed but FIU is a big confidence booster. If the O can put up 30-40 on them, that can help alot going into week 2

Consensus?
"We are doomed"

That's the only conclusion you should come to here... ever.

299.gif

Looking at our schedule going 1-3 is possible the 1st 4 games. Memphis is supposed to be one of the best teams.
We got off easy with last year's schedule, and only had to beat bottom feeders (ranked in the bottom 25% of FBS schools) to make a bowl. No way we would beat Navy or Memphis last year had they been on our schedule. This year, we play both and don't get to feast on Tulane!

The scheduling gurus don't give us a bye week until after the 8th game, so new starters will have to learn by making mistakes until they gain experience (and any injuries where we are thin will be really costly). On the plus side, we don't have to play always strong Tulsa and Houston.

And when was the last time (if ever) that we opened the season with 3 home games (and four of the first 5 games)? Only P5 schools with big stadiums are allowed that advantage (Michigan St. this year doesn't have to leave the state until mid October).

However, it's a two-edged sword because UCF students and alums are notoriously bad at attending back to back games, especially if we're forced to have afternoon games! Danny White needs to do the same marketing wizardry used to fill the CFE Arena of else our 7-home-game opportunity could be a curse.

Must keep the Memphis streak alive. Too much fun poking that bear

We got off easy with last year's schedule, and only had to beat bottom feeders (ranked in the bottom 25% of FBS schools) to make a bowl. No way we would beat Navy or Memphis last year had they been on our schedule. This year, we play both and don't get to feast on Tulane!

The scheduling gurus don't give us a bye week until after the 8th game, so new starters will have to learn by making mistakes until they gain experience (and any injuries where we are thin will be really costly). On the plus side, we don't have to play always strong Tulsa and Houston.

And when was the last time (if ever) that we opened the season with 3 home games (and four of the first 5 games)? Only P5 schools with big stadiums are allowed that advantage (Michigan St. this year doesn't have to leave the state until mid October).

However, it's a two-edged sword because UCF students and alums are notoriously bad at attending back to back games, especially if we're forced to have afternoon games! Danny White needs to do the same marketing wizardry used to fill the CFE Arena of else our 7-home-game opportunity could be a curse.
Hey if the fans arent good enough fans to go to a game, we dont need em. I know my a** will be plastered (to the seat) regardless if its 100 degrees and a 12 oclock game vs Bethune Cookman.

I had skin cancer surgery and skin graft yesterday so I wont be there tomorrow night so I put this thread out there. I hope tomorrow somebody will put up a thread that considers our schedule and gives a realistic prediction. Without seeing I'm in the 6-6 camp right now.

Looks like we have more / better depth. I'm excited for this year. And I think we have built up the program to where we should always be in the hunt for a Conference title - we have won it 50% of the time after all.

GT and Navy worry me because they run the triple option. We have a favorable schedule over all with 7 home games.

7 to 9 wins is realistic.

FIU will be improved if for no other reason than they have better coaching. Also, our players remember how easy that game was. Their players may want some payback. Memphis the next week, players could be looking ahead.

That being said, I think 2-2 in the OOC. I think we beat UConn, ECU, and Temple (new QB right). I think Navy and USF are probably a step ahead of us (but playing GT will help with Navy). Memphis, Cincy and SMU are swing games. I think anywhere from 5-7 to 8-4 is certainly doable. If we get a few lucky breaks to go our way we could be even better. Honestly, I believe their is more depth on the Oline this year. IMO, some of the better players on the OL probably won't start until later in the year. It will take them a little time to adjust to the speed of the game. But by the end of the year, if we stay healthy, the OL could be beastly. If we can just be average to slightly above average on the OL and in the secondary, this team will have a chance to compete for a conference championship.

I don't see it being close Vs. FIU. If it is, we are in for a long season. Our offense SHOULD be better than last years blowout with all the returning starters, and the defense won't be THAT bad even in game 1.

Right where he says a 6'5 safety who could cause our wide receivers trouble....and also thinking a brand new freshman class thats only half decent on paper would make the difference up of 40 points.
Only that margin because the about-to-be-fired couch benched the QB who helped beat us the previous year and put in a deer-in-the-headlights guy.

I don't see it being close Vs. FIU. If it is, we are in for a long season. Our offense SHOULD be better than last years blowout with all the returning starters, and the defense won't be THAT bad even in game 1.

On paper it shouldn't be close. But the relative ease with which we won last year might get some of the younger players, and we have plenty of those, looking ahead to Memphis. I just hope we can stay healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT