ADVERTISEMENT

GOL now 44-59 without Friedgen or Taffe.

Still think he's a good coach?

This doesn't really make any sense. A single head coach doesn't carry an entire staff -- there's plenty of examples of coaches where their success or failure of a season was determined by key assistant coaches. Those OCs you mentioned would have made just about any coach's record better.

Time to move on. Program is built. We are 10 years in. We need some effective, high caliber coaching and at this point, some really effective play calling is needed. I feel like we are never going to get out of this and are in for years of being average at best. :-(

Reactions: Knight2000
This doesn't really make any sense. A single head coach doesn't carry an entire staff -- there's plenty of examples of coaches where their success or failure of a season was determined by key assistant coaches. Those OCs you mentioned would have made just about any coach's record better.

It means that until he finds really good assistants, we will continue to suck.

LOL, he did hire Taaffe, so I don't understand why he wouldn't get credit for those wins? Still, even counting Taaffe, he's at a .55 winning percent. Not exactly lighting the world on fire. We can do much better for our money.

You are right. Not his fault. I blame the players.

Name one winning head coach you consider good that has bad assistants. I'm not defending GOL, I think it's time he goes. I'd just like to hear more about this stat that seems to say good head coaches perform well with bad assistants.

It can be argued Gol puts his trust in yes men and as a result we get Salem and Key. Under pressure he has to bring in a guy like Taaffe to clean up the mess he created.

The Miami Hurricanes of the 1980s is a good example of head coaches that made the right hires, utilized their talent to their potential with no obvious cronyism that have existed during the darkest days of the gol regime.

I believe how a team performs in the 3rd quarter really speaks volume of their coaching staff. Just look at UCF's 3rd quarter stats during GOL tenure and you have your answer.

Name one winning head coach you consider good that has bad assistants. I'm not defending GOL, I think it's time he goes. I'd just like to hear more about this stat that seems to say good head coaches perform well with bad assistants.

So either hire better assistants or leave. Key really needs to work at another school to gain perspective. He can be a good coach, just needs to get out of Orlando.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT