ADVERTISEMENT

Good read on ESPN

Makes you wonder why O'Leary never gave Shaquem a shot. Honestly he didn't go from not talented enough to see the field on a winless team to conference defensive player of the year overnight.

Reactions: 2DogKnight
Not sure he was as good of a fit under the old defensive scheme. He really fit the profile for his position last year. My guess is that there are a number of players on every team that fall between the cracks. Players that if they could just get on the field would show their true abilities. Really glad that he got his shot.

Not sure he was as good of a fit under the old defensive scheme. He really fit the profile for his position last year. My guess is that there are a number of players on every team that fall between the cracks. Players that if they could just get on the field would show their true abilities. Really glad that he got his shot.
Yeah i have a feeling GOL didnt want a 1 handed safety which is what shaq played (Safety). We also had some VERY good safeties over the past few years, some in the NFL currently i believe.

Once we switched to 3-4, he fit perfectly at OLB.

Reactions: Renegade2007
Yeah i have a feeling GOL didnt want a 1 handed safety which is what shaq played (Safety). We also had some VERY good safeties over the past few years, some in the NFL currently i believe.

Once we switched to 3-4, he fit perfectly at OLB.

Bingo. I don't think it was a personal attack on him at all. We just didn't know where to put him. This 4-3 scheme is PERFECT for him.

Reactions: Miltonian
It's also nice to know that Shaquill's frame would also be able to add weight and strength (like his brother) if that's the trend in the NFL.

It's also nice to know that Shaquill's frame would also be able to add weight and strength (like his brother) if that's the trend in the NFL.

Maybe fit in the same roll as Atlanta's Ishmael (S-LB), Colt's Gaethers (S to LB) and the Chargers Non-UCF player.

Makes you wonder why O'Leary never gave Shaquem a shot. Honestly he didn't go from not talented enough to see the field on a winless team to conference defensive player of the year overnight.

Same reason why he was 3rd string DB under Frost in Spring 2016, just wasn't a good fit.

Believe it was Coach Fisher that asked Frost if he could move him to the new outside LB in the new 3-4 and lightning struck, and I'm glad it did.

If UCF was still in a 4-3, he maybe wouldn't have been a good fit at OLB in that as well.

Same reason why he was 3rd string DB under Frost in Spring 2016, just wasn't a good fit.

Believe it was Coach Fisher that asked Frost if he could move him to the new outside LB in the new 3-4 and lightning struck, and I'm glad it did.

If UCF was still in a 4-3, he maybe wouldn't have been a good fit at OLB in that as well.
One of the best decisions by Frost was keep Fisher on the staff. He's also a good recruiter.

Correct, 4-3 linebackers need to be a bit bigger that shaq, hes a perfect 3-4 edge rusher.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT