ADVERTISEMENT

Grading UCF's 2019 Football Recruiting Classes: Hits & Misses

Knight_Light

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
3-4 years is a good time frame to look back at those HS (or JUCO signees) from the "official" 2019 UCF Recruiting Class

HITS: (Multi-year starters and/or 1 year starter with other years as a solid backup)
QB Gabriel (5.7 recruit)
DE Tre-mon Morris Brash (5.7)
Guard: Lokahi Pauole (5.6)
LB Tatum Bethune (5.5)
WR ROK (5.5)
Center: Matt Lee (5.4 recruit)
LB Jeremiah Jean Baptiste (5.4)
DB Tay Gowan (5.4) - 1 year starter (sat out Covid year)

Misses:
DE Dallaz Corbitt (5.6)
DE Jalen Pinkney (5.6)
RB Damarius Good (5.6)
WR Jarrad Baker (5.6)
OL: Alan Adams (5.5)
WR: Justin Menard (5.5)
LB Raymond Cutts (5.5)
DE Kam'ron Green (5.4)
DL William Hancock (5.4)
DB James Tarver (5.4)
K Daniel Obarski (5.4)

Incomplete:
OL Adrian Medley (5.7) (injuries but could be a starter in 2023)
DL Keenan Hester (5.6) - Injuries but had bright spots in 2021
WR Amari Johnson (5..3) Depth then injuries...has a chance in 2023

All 3 of the top recruits (5.7) hit and/or have a chance to make an impact in 2023 because of injury.

Largest group of failures were the 2 star (5.4) group.

Add the hits and incompletes (11 players)...and its a 50% hit rate out of 22 signees...which is above average for a G5 program.

Last edited:
I was excited about Menard. Had good speed coming out of HS, if I remember correctly. You just never know.

According to your criteria, Obarski would be a hit......and he did make some kicks we needed him to make, of course missed others....alot of others. I would give him credit over the guys NONE of us would remember.

D Good at least had 62 yards from scrimmage and 5 tackles....half a point maybe? Same with Baker, 8 tackles and 1 catch for 10 yards

I was excited about Menard. Had good speed coming out of HS, if I remember correctly. You just never know.
On a related note, I thought Ke'von Ahmad was going to be the next big thing for us......1 catch for 15 yards. And didn't catch on with a team last year.....

Reactions: HammerB08
According to your criteria, Obarski would be a hit......and he did make some kicks we needed him to make, of course missed others....alot of others. I would give him credit over the guys NONE of us would remember.

D Good at least had 62 yards from scrimmage and 5 tackles....half a point maybe? Same with Baker, 8 tackles and 1 catch for 10 yards
You're being generous.

Fair point.

He had a solid Year 2 as a first time starter...hit 12-17 FG's (70.6%)...but ever since that 2020 season...he went 8-16 (50%).

Because a lot of kickers are never signed to a scholarship...and most can hit over 50%, thats why I had him as a miss but fair point that he did produce in his first year of starting...but totally failed in his last 1.5 years (and is now in the portal).

Good had a total of 28 yds rushing in 4 seasons....so as a RB recruit...that is a HUGE miss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shark19
Fair point.

He had a solid Year 2 as a first time starter...hit 12-17 FG's (70.6%)...but ever since that 2020 season...he went 8-16 (50%).

Because a lot of kickers are never signed to a scholarship...and most can hit over 50%, thats why I had him as a missed but fair point that he did produce in his first year of starting...but totally failed in his last 1.5 years (and is now in the portal).

Good had a total of 28 yds rushing in 4 seasons....so as a RB recruit...that is a HUGE miss.
Had high hopes for Good coming out. But he got passed up and our RB room has been consistently deep. He has 2 more years. Now at Texas State.

Had high hopes for Good coming out. But he got passed up and our RB room has been consistently deep. He has 2 more years. Now at Texas State.
He transferred to Texas State and had just 2 carries for 6 yds this season...as the team finished with a 4-8 (2-6) record.

Reactions: Shark19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT