ADVERTISEMENT

"Gus Malzahn is a good football coach"

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
Gary Danielson made that remark during the final game Gus coached in the Iron Bowl. In case you don't understand, that is a backhanded compliment in football.

Good is the enemy of great. Auburn fired Gus because "he didn't win enough." I will focus on that.

At Auburn and at UCF, I witnessed inexplicable "lulls" in offensive production, typically in the second half of games.

(A lot of people who don't know football will say "The other team 'made adjustments'" on defense. But anyone who has coached and knows football knows major adjustments cannot be made in a football game. For example, a team that bases out of a 3-3-5 defense cannot change into a bear front in the middle of an offensive possession UNLESS the team has not practiced the formation. You can make minor in-game adjustments, such as with play calling, manipulating alignment, reading keys, etc., but major in-game adjustments can only be used ONLY IF they have been practiced or are already built into your system. For example, if you practiced and ran a front or blitz against an earlier opponent, you can jump into it within an offensive drive because the players have already practiced it and remember it. Or you can practice for a defense to be used before halftime and practice for a totally different defense to change to in the second half, but you cannot change to a new defense at halftime that you never practiced.)

Point is... Minor adjustments do not account for the lulls in offensive production. It is almost like Gus goes into a game with a plan and never deviates. It happened again in the second half last night.

I didn't get to watch last night's game, but I cannot explain the box score. I understand the failure of the defense. UCF was without Corey Thornton, Jarvis Ware, Ja'Cari Henderson, and DeJordan Mask. I knew it was limited. But I don't know why the offense featured Javon Baker so much. UCF had only 33 rushes for just 169 yards. RJ Harvey averaged 8 yards per carry and had only 15 carries. Haynes King outrushed John Rhys Plumlee in terms of carries and yardage. Georgia Tech ranked 128th in rush defense. Whoever called plays for UCF ran a "balanced" offense, but shouldn't have.

Moving forward, Gus needs to do the following things to improve the trajectory of the UCF program:

No. 1, Hire Gary Patterson as DC.
No. 2, Hire Terry Bowden and Scott Frost as offensive analysts. Bowden is one the best game day coaches in college football. Y'all are enamored with Frost so even though he is worthless, his hire will rebuild a lot trust in the fan base.

EDIT: Frost did recruit Hawaii well. I will give him that.

Maybe then Gus can be great again.

Last edited:
I still can't believe he beat Saban's Alabama twice, if I'm not mistaken. He must have sent a gift basket to Saban the day before the game filled with Taco Bell goodies; and, Saban just had brain farts day of game.

I still can't believe he beat Saban's Alabama twice, if I'm not mistaken. He must have sent a gift basket to Saban the day before the game filled with Taco Bell goodies; and, Saban just had brain farts day of game.
Seriously? Gus beat sabahr three times (2013, 2017, 2019) as a head coach and once as an assistant (2010).

Gus didn't call plays last night. That was UCF product Darin Hinshaw who passed the damn ball more than he ran!

Gus is a good coach. He needs to take steps to be a great coach again.
Define “good”. One definition of “good” would be “winning” and we finished 6-7. Another definition of “good” would be “progressing” in year 3 of him taking over our program. We haven’t progressed.

You can pick all the micro metrics you want, but you need to start at the macro level and he isn’t getting it done.

Gary Danielson made that remark during the final game Gus coached in the Iron Bowl. In case you don't understand, that is a backhanded compliment in football.

Good is the enemy of great. Auburn fired Gus because "he didn't win enough." I will focus on that.

At Auburn and at UCF, I witnessed inexplicable "lulls" in offensive production, typically in the second half of games.

(A lot of people who don't know football will say "The other team 'made adjustments'" on defense. But anyone who has coached and knows football knows major adjustments cannot be made in a football game. For example, a team that bases out of a 3-3-5 defense cannot change into a bear front in the middle of an offensive possession UNLESS the team has not practiced the formation. You can make minor in-game adjustments, such as with play calling, manipulating alignment, reading keys, etc., but major in-game adjustments can only be used ONLY IF they have been practiced or are already built into your system. For example, if you practiced and ran a front or blitz against an earlier opponent, you can jump into it within an offensive drive because the players have already practiced it and remember it. Or you can practice for a defense to be used before halftime and practice for a totally different defense to change to in the second half, but you cannot change to a new defense at halftime that you never practiced.)

Point is... Minor adjustments do not account for the lulls in offensive production. It is almost like Gus goes into a game with a plan and never deviates. It happened again in the second half last night.

I didn't get to watch last night's game, but I cannot explain the box score. I understand the failure of the defense. UCF was without Corey Thornton, Jarvis Ware, Ja'Cari Henderson, and DeJordan Mask. I knew it was limited. But I don't know why the offense featured Javon Baker so much. UCF had only 33 rushes for just 169 yards. RJ Harvey averaged 8 yards per carry and had only 15 carries. Haynes King outrushed John Rhys Plumlee in terms of carries and yardage. Georgia Tech ranked 128th in rush defense. Whoever called plays for UCF ran a "balanced" offense, but shouldn't have.

Moving forward, Gus needs to do the following things to improve the trajectory of the UCF program:

No. 2, Hire Terry Bowden and Scott Frost as offensive analysts. Bowden is one the best game day coaches in college football. Y'all are enamored with Frost so even though he is worthless, his hire will rebuild a lot trust in the fan base.

Don't you dare call Scott Frost worthless around here!!

Isn’t Frost back on staff @ Oregon?

Gus is a good coach. He needs to take steps to be a great coach again.
I won't even go so far as to say that Gus is a good coach and he is certainly not a great one. His best teams were when he was with Tulsa and that's a long time ago and offensive football has changed a great deal in that time.

Last edited:
We better hit on a portal QB or next year we may only win 4 games. If Gus was smart he’d start one of the incoming Freshmen and blame the losses in inexperience. People will buy that. I can see he doesn’t have it but a lot of people will believe his smoke and mirrors.

At least we didn’t hear the lame “we weren’t motivated excuse”

.Ga Tech was better coached and had a better game plan. Our problem lies with the run defense and not getting points in the red zone. Turnovers also hurt us again.

At least we didn’t hear the lame “we weren’t motivated excuse”

.Ga Tech was better coached and had a better game plan. Our problem lies with the run defense and not getting points in the red zone. Turnovers also hurt us again.
Some of y'all are going to hate regardless, but UCF and Georgia Tech aren't that different. UCF had the nation's No. 4 rushing offense; Tech had the nation's No. 10 unit. Tech had the nation's 128th ranked defense against the run; UCF has the 122th.

HEre is a tidbit most of you don't know ...

Tech DC Kevin Sheerer, with stops at uat (2010), uGay (2014-17), Tennessee (2018), and Tech (2022), had a wealth of experience going up against Gus Malzahn-coached offenses.

As the DC of the Volunteers in 2018, Sheerer held Auburn to 7 points in the second half to snap the Vol's 11-game SEC losing streak. Ninety percent of Auburn fans consider it the worst loss of Gus,'s career. (I personally considered the loss to UCF as his worst loss because it was the only G5 loss as s head coach.)

What doesn't make sense about this game is why RJ Harvey had only 15 carries averaging 8 yards a pop. It was his lowest number of carries since October.

Last edited:
Some of y'all are going to hate regardless, but UCF and Georgia Tech aren't that different. UCF had the nation's No. 4 rushing offense; Tech had the nation's No. 10 unit. Tech had the nation's 128th ranked defense against the run; UCF has the 122th.

Tech DC Kevin Sheerer, with stops at uat (2010), uGay (2014-17), Tennessee (2018), and Tech (2022), had a wealth of experience going up against Gus Malzahn-coached offenses.

As the DC of the Volunteers in 2018, Sheerer held Auburn to 7 points in the second half to snap the Vol's 11-game SEC losing streak. Ninety percent of Auburn fans consider it the worst loss of Gus,'s career. (I personally consideref the loss to UCF as his worst loss because it was the only G5 loss as s head coach.)

What doesn't make sense about this game is why RJ Harvey had only 15 carries averaging 8 yards a pop. It was his lowest number of carries since October.
Verrrry Curious.

As the DC of the Volunteers in 2018, Sheerer held Auburn to 7 points in the second half to snap the Vol's 11-game SEC losing streak. Ninety percent of Auburn fans consider it the worst loss of Gus,'s career. (I personally consideref the loss to UCF as his worst loss because it was the only G5 loss as s head coach.)

Gus was featuring JRP. His love affair with JRP has lost games and made him not want to upgrade the QB position. He’s putting an individual over the team. That’s not good.

I think Gus is a good coach, but he needs to be more selective on his hires.
He's selective, but on his terms. He doesn't want to be challenged.

I think he's jealous of Saban. He came to UCF in hopes of having total control and being revered.

He and Mohajir could have easily carved out more money for coordinators instead of only bolstering his pay and hired an elite staff.

He's selective, but on his terms. He doesn't want to be challenged.

I think he's jealous of Saban. He came to UCF in hopes of having total control and being revered.

He and Mohajir could have easily carved out more money for coordinators instead of only bolstering his pay and hired an elite staff.
He is selective in terms of he surrounds himself ONLY with people he trusts and he has a small circle of trust to begin with because he is very paranoid. He values coaches' trustworthiness over their coaching ceiling. He rarely goes outside his coaching tree to add an assistant coach.

In this regard, he is similar to the Taken movie Bryan Mills character, who inspects the karaoke machine multiple times before he buys it for his daughter: .

Gus's only similarity with sabahr is both are the of the most controlling coaches in college football. Cannot speak to the "being revered" part.

As far as carving out money, I think Gus was saving money. He hired an offensive coordinator from UCF and promoted an assistant from within to coordinate the defense. Gus is the real offensive coordinator; David Gibbs is the real defensive coordinator.

Gus didn't pay the "figurehead" coaches a penny over fair market value: Addison Williams made $700k and Darin Hinshaw $600k.

Gus/UCF saved half a million dollars over the salaries of the lowest paying programs in the Big 12.

Cincinnati's DC Bryan Brown makes $1 million and OC Brad Glenn $700. Houston's (2023) DC Doug Belk made $1 million. Texas Tech's DC Tim DeRuyter made $1.05 million and OC Zack Kittley $850k.

Last edited:
Day has come and gone. I guess he wants to see another year of the same D.
Possibly.

Or Gus may be waiting till the New Year to avoid having to pay extra for a Year 1 separation clause. I haven't read the language of Addison's contract so I don't know. Anyone can file an open records request and submit it to the athletic department to get a copy of the contract. All I know Addison's contract runs out on Jan. 31, 2025.

He may may be waiting until a bowl game is over so he can talk to someone without tampering. Or he isn’t making changes. January 3 would be a key date.

It’s a delicate balance because you don’t want to risk compromising the trust of the defensive recruiting class by firing the d coordinator who they we’re under the assumption he’d be there

It’s a delicate balance because you don’t want to risk compromising the trust of the defensive recruiting class by firing the d coordinator who they we’re under the assumption he’d be there
Delicate balance my ass....fix the freaking problem. Our Defense against the run was horrible, our top tacklers are graduating, our best DB is already in the portal and one of the D Captain's and key returnees just announced that he's going into the portal.....what the hell more do you need? Get a top-notch D coordinator who will prepare this team to make in game changes and teach 'em how to tackle. Get him in front of the D and explain to them how he plans on fixing the problem (and trust me, the D knows they have a problem). So, get on with it!

Delicate balance my ass....fix the freaking problem. Our Defense against the run was horrible, our top tacklers are graduating, our best DB is already in the portal and one of the D Captain's and key returnees just announced that he's going into the portal.....what the hell more do you need? Get a top-notch D coordinator who will prepare this team to make in game changes and teach 'em how to tackle. Get him in front of the D and explain to them how he plans on fixing the problem (and trust me, the D knows they have a problem). So, get on with it!
He is saying wait till Jan. 3 when the portal closes (like every other program in America is going to do) before personnel changes are made. Can't risk losing the EEs.

Reactions: Yaes
He is saying wait till Jan. 3 when the portal closes (like every other program in America is going to do) before personnel changes are made. Can't risk losing the EEs.
The guys in the portal can make a move any time before they enroll....so it's got nothing to do with Jan 3rd. If it's contract related that's another thing but there's not enough $$ at stake there to miss out on hiring the best DC. Go get the best you can, Malzahn (and while you're at it make sure you have the best OC as well). This is the year to get this Coaching problem fixed. Fix the problem Malzahn. It's your frigging job.

Reactions: Yaes
I mean our defense has mostly performed like this Since NAVY 2022 at home. There was no change. Also I do agree that we don't have the Athletes. But I also don't see the Athletes here for 2024. Something has to change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT