ADVERTISEMENT

Gus Malzahn a Top 3 coach in the Big 12

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
3. Gus Malzahn -- UCF

"Last year’s 6-7 record was the first losing season
in Gus Malzahn’s 12 years as a college head coach. Malzahn has been close to reaching the mountain top, losing the BCS National Title game in 2013 with Auburn. I suspect UCF will rebound next season."

Last edited:
lol. First year was his best. Kind of like another coach we had. I’m sure the coaches that he faced off against ranked 4-12 might have something to say since the 6 coaches he faced off head to head with in that range all stuffed him in a locker in the last meeting.

Reactions: LoboCane
lol. First year was his best. Kind of like another coach we had. I’m sure the coaches that he faced off against ranked 4-12 might have something to say since the 6 coaches he faced off head to head with in that range all stuffed him in a locker in the last meeting.
He DOMINATED No. 1.

He has coached on bigger stages than anyone on the list.

This is the only fair and unopinionated way to rank the Big 12 coaches.

CAREER Head Coaching FBS Records

Mike Gundy 166-79

Kyle Whittingham 162-79

Gus Malzahn, 101-54 (Played for NC)

Sonny Dykes 89-72 (Played for NC)

Matt Campbell 88-63

Scott Satterfield 79-57

Willie Fritz 71-54
17-7 (Georgia Southern) 54-47 (Tulane)

Neal Brown 66-45

Kalani Sitake 61-41

Lance Leopold 54-54
37-33 (Buffalo) 17-21 (Kansas)

Brent Brennan 34-48

Dave Aranda 23-24

Jerry McGuire 15-11

Deion Sanders 4-8

Kenny Dillingham 3-9

Embarrassed is a strong verb. Upset maybe.
Biggest bed shitting in program history. Against an atrocious coach. He also kept Satterfield employed at Louisville and but for 2 miracles would have lost to Jeff Scott and the ghost of Jeff Scott. Oh and no answer for Navy. It’s cool that he played for a NC in his first season, but we all know a sequence of events that’s like a 1/500 shot occurred to facilitate that (Georgia game miracle catch and kick 6).

One game is called an anomaly. 6 games is a trend.
101 FBS wins, 54 losses

Western Kentucky (Arkansas State) was Gus's only regular season, non-power 5 loss PRIOR to coaching at UCF.

Gus is already the second all-time winningest coach to lead UCF. Only George O'Leary (133, 101 losses) has more career victories.

101 FBS wins, 54 losses

Western Kentucky (Arkansas State) was Gus's only regular season, non-power 5 loss PRIOR to coaching at UCF.

Gus is already the second all-time winningest coach to lead UCF. Only George O'Leary (133, 101 losses) has more career victories.
Perennial top 12 recruiting classes. How many teams ranked top 12 when all was said and done? One of the more talented teams on paper in the Big 12 last year. 3-7 against P5 (if you are counting 2 teams that transitioned last year otherwise 1-7). He is a great recruiter. His game day coaching is what drags him down.

His game day coaching is what drags him down.
I agree with this point.

It is not a deal breaker, though. He theoretically can address this issue and his time management issues by hiring key analysts to monitor these things. (Granted he does have to realize/admit these are problems before he is willing/able to seek solutions, and that is hard for some people to do.)

No coach in America is perfect, however. But when you weigh Gus's faults against his strengths, he stacks up pretty darn well against most active coaches in America.

No coach in America is perfect, however. But when you weigh Gus's faults against his strengths, he stacks up pretty darn well against most active coaches in America.
Yeah, I think he deserves his #3 ranking in this poll. But Deion Sanders at #4? Are you ****ing kidding me??!? What in God's name did he do to deserve that ranking?

On the other hand, Leipold is way too low. There's a reason he's been a candidate for most of the Big Dawg HC openings the last couple of years. Iowa State's Campbell and the Kitty-State HC aren't too shabby either.

Reactions: lawknight
I agree with this point.

It is not a deal breaker, though. He theoretically can address this issue and his time management issues by hiring key analysts to monitor these things. (Granted he does have to realize/admit these are problems before he is willing/able to seek solutions, and that is hard for some people to do.)

He can get away with it at a place he can pull top 10 classes like Auburn. Talent alone will have his teams sniffing top 25 in those circumstances. What will be his test here is he will maybe recruit top 30 some years. Will this be enough to be competitive in the Big 12 going forward? This isn’t a case of a coach taking top 50 talent to a top 10 ranking like Scott frost did here. It’s a coach who took top 10 talent to top 25 rankings.

Reactions: 90Knight
This dude specifically Google searched for “Gus Malzahn Best Coach” to find this. Lol.

Don't fret Lobo. Wario is a Top 10 P5 coach.

Lol. You keep bringing up articles from random blogs. Malzon was fired at Auburn and could not get a better job than G5 UCF where he was getting paid like $2.5M a year.

Dude had his best year at Auburn in 2013 with a team he inherited. Once he got going…he did nothing but fail.

9-4, 9-5 and now 6-7 at UCF. You see a trend?

Lol. You keep bringing up articles from random blogs. Malzon was fired at Auburn and could not get a better job than G5 UCF where he was getting paid like $2.5M a year.

Dude had his best year at Auburn in 2013 with a team he inherited. Once he got going…he did nothing but fail.

9-4, 9-5 and now 6-7 at UCF. You see a trend?
I certainly see where Gus Malzahn beat Wario head-to-head during Wario's best year in 2019.

2019. Oregon 12–2. 8–1. 1st (North)W Rose†

Cracking Up Lol GIF

I certainly see where Gus Malzahn beat Wario head-to-head during Wario's best year in 2019.

2019. Oregon 12–2. 8–1. 1st (North)W Rose†

Cracking Up Lol GIF
Is this guy serious? So stupid…lol. The last time old head Malzon went to a NY6 bowl was in 2017 and he got beat by a G5 team coached by Scott Frost. Scott Frost is unemployed.

Frost > Malzon.

Last edited:
Cristalbawl won a rose bowl?
Not me. National Championship or bust.

Take away Gus's National Championship and National Championship runner up finish and he is not much better than Christolowertierbowl (but still better nonetheless).

Last edited:
Not me. National Championship or bust.

Take away Gus's National Championship and National Championship runner up finish and he is not much better than Christolowertierbowl (but still better nonetheless).
What’s Gus’s best bowl win?

He was NOT the head coach.
Well let's see...

Before Gus, Auburn played 100 years of football and had one National Championship (1957) on probation.

During Gus, Auburn played 10 years of football with two National Championships games NO PROBATION.

After Gus, Auburn has had three consecutive losing seasons.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

How much credit for a national championship do you attribute to a coordinator? Before you answer that, how much do you contribute to the offensive coordinator in a national championship where the victor scored the least amount of offensive points of any championship team since the World Trade Center towers still stood?

Reactions: LoboCane
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT