ADVERTISEMENT

Gus rant

Guinness_Knight

Five-Star Recruit
Oct 19, 2009
There’s a bunch to address, but this is what’s making me mental the most:

Missouri just put out a basic blueprint of how to beat KState; passing the ball. Some of UCF’s most successful plays last night were downfield passes, yet we didn’t consistently work that in throughout the game. It seems like an afterthought. Why not pass to setup the run?

Instead, Gus wasted crucial possessions crowbarring in his Wild Knight and other dumb formation plays that don’t work. How large of a sample does he need to understand he’s simply wasting opportunities and destroying momentum? This is compounded in that it doesn’t allow the offense to get in any sort of rhythm.

Missouri just put out a basic blueprint of how to beat KState; passing the ball. Some of UCF’s most successful plays last night were downfield passes, yet we didn’t consistently work that in throughout the game. It seems like an afterthought. Why not pass to setup the run?

Instead, Gus wasted crucial possessions crowbarring in his Wild Knight and other dumb formation plays that don’t work. How large of a sample does he need to understand he’s simply wasting opportunities and destroying momentum? This is compounded in that it doesn’t allow the offense to get in any sort of rhythm.
He's set in his ways...good luck getting him to change. I hate to say it but until he admits the truth (that he can't "hand off" the offense and play calling to a true OC), kind of like AA, then we're always going to have these rants. Until he really changes (not just say he has), our play calling is not going to change. Honestly, it seems he's just as interested in his reputation as an offensive play caller as whether we win or lose these games.

Reactions: Guinness_Knight

I agree. I simply cannot understand it.

Reactions: Knight59
He's set in his ways...good luck getting him to change. I hate to say it but until he admits the truth (that he can't "hand off" the offense and play calling to a true OC), kind of like AA, then we're always going to have these rants. Until he really changes (not just say he has), our play calling is not going to change. Honestly, it seems he's just as interested in his reputation as an offensive play caller as whether we win or lose these games.
I think he wants to win, he's just stuck in the past and refuses to see it. Wish he would though because I think he is very good at recruiting (except for QBs).

Last edited:
Reactions: Guinness_Knight

I agree.

Don't worry, I'm sure @Brandon will get things cleared up at this week's PC.

• Haha
Reactions: Poolside Knight

Just pointing out a few facts ...

Missouri had more rushes against K-State than UCF, but UCF doubled up Missouri's total rushing yards.

Missouri's quarterback had 24 completions for 356 yards and 2 touchdowns. Timmy McClain had 14 completions for 254 yard and three touchdowns. (Missouri 5* Luther Burden III had 75 receiving yards after the catch and these yards factored into Missouri QB's passing stats.)

UCF scored 31 points against K-State and lost, while Missouri scored 30 points and won.

Regarding the Wild Knight play, there is a thread on the front page asking why Gus doesn't throw the football out of the Wild Knight formation. A poster suggests that Gus is waiting to let Harvey throw deep against a tougher opponent. On that particular play, Harvey was trying to throw the ball deep, but K-State had covered it. So Harvey threw it away.

Is it possible mizzou’s QB/WR are better than ours? There were multiple plays where we had 3+ seconds of a pocket for someone to break free and it didn’t happen.

Their team only needed 1 second to get enough separation for a completion.

Missouri had more rushes against K-State than UCF, but UCF doubled up Missouri's total rushing yards.

Missouri's quarterback had 24 completions for 356 yards and 2 touchdowns. Timmy McClain had 14 completions for 254 yard and three touchdowns. (Missouri 5* Luther Burden III had 75 receiving yards after the catch and these yards factored into Missouri QB's passing stats.)

UCF scored 31 points against K-State and lost, while Missouri scored 30 points and won.

Regarding the Wild Knight play, there is a thread on the front page asking why Gus doesn't throw the football out of the Wild Knight formation. A poster suggests that Gus is waiting to let Harvey throw deep against a tougher opponent. On that particular play, Harvey was trying to throw the ball deep, but K-State had covered it. So Harvey threw it away.
My point, is why is there a premium put on the Wild Knight to begin with?

Why build it up into something at all vs simply using and building upon a creative "traditional" offensive pass play?

The Wild Knight has more negatives vs positives. It destroys momentum; disrupts rhythm; creates an increase in confusion on our team which leads to an increase in penalties/false starts/illegal procedure/etc.

The Wild Knight vs KState where Harvey "threw" a pass looked about as bad a play that can be executed. It was horrible. It's the kind of play that if it happened 1x; a coaching staff would never use it again; and yet... Gus keeps modifying it and using it...vs using those downs to work a higher percentage play downfield.

I think he wants to win, he's just stuck in the past and refuses to see it. Wish he would though because I think he is very good at recruiting (except for QBs).
That’s what any staff is for…to tell him this without making it seem personal.

Punting on 4th and 2 in plus territory with the game tied in the 3rd quarter was brutal. Why try to pin them and lean on your defense when the defense was getting gashed left and right? Punted the ball to the 15-yard line. Kansas St. goes 85 yards to take the lead (which they never relinquished).

Is anyone in the local media going to ask him about that decision? For me, that’s when the game got away from us…

Punting on 4th and 2 in plus territory with the game tied in the 3rd quarter was brutal. Why try to pin them and lean on your defense when the defense was getting gashed left and right? Punted the ball to the 15-yard line. Kansas St. goes 85 yards to take the lead (which they never relinquished).

Is anyone in the local media going to ask him about that decision? For me, that’s when the game got away from us…
We stopped them, other than the refs throwing a flag for roughing the passer after we stopped them. I thought all 3 (that I can remember), on both teams, were unavoidable contact and no flag thrown. Then at the end of the game Timmy looks like he clearly got roughed, with targeting and they pick the flag up.

Why build it up into something at all vs simply using and building upon a creative "traditional" offensive pass play?

The Wild Knight has more negatives vs positives. It destroys momentum; disrupts rhythm; creates an increase in confusion on our team which leads to an increase in penalties/false starts/illegal procedure/etc.

The Wild Knight vs KState where Harvey "threw" a pass looked about as bad a play that can be executed. It was horrible. It's the kind of play that if it happened 1x; a coaching staff would never use it again; and yet... Gus keeps modifying it and using it...vs using those downs to work a higher percentage play downfield.
That play is a 2nd and goal play at best, not a 1st and 10 on the other side of the field. The defense didn’t have to do anything different to cover it and they weren’t fooled in the least.

Here comes the Malzahn simp trying to defend his beloved. Dude watches football games just to focus on Gus Malhazan…biggest weirdo ever on a sports forum.

Why run trips to the boundary? Why run the diamond formation? It is all about numbers and angles. Was the Wild Knight so bad last year when Bowser led the nation in red zone rushing touchdowns?

Also, practice time in college football is limited. Anything you put on film, trick plays, etc., take up valuable practice time on defense whether you run them or not.

I assure UCF practiced every Avery Johnson run in film.

Last edited:
Why run trips to the boundary? Why run the diamond formation? It is all about numbers and angles. Was the Wild Knight so bad last year when Bowser led the nation in red zone rushing touchdowns?

Also, practice time in college football is limited. Anything you put on film, trick plays, etc., take up valuable practice time on defense whether you run them or not.

I assure UCF practiced every Avery Johnson run in film.
Not sure I'm following you or if we're on the same page.

My point, is The Wild Knight never had to be a thing to begin with even with Bowser. We easily could have had Bowser run traditional in a 1 back set and had the same results. In fact, it could be argued that it would have had better results bc we would have stayed with base personnel which would... again... helped with flow, cohesion, timing, familiarity, deception... the lists go on.

Not sure I'm following you or if we're on the same page.

My point, is The Wild Knight never had to be a thing to begin with even with Bowser. We easily could have had Bowser run traditional in a 1 back set and had the same results. In fact, it could be argued that it would have had better results bc we would have stayed with base personnel which would... again... helped with flow, cohesion, timing, familiarity, deception... the lists go on.
It should only be used at the goal line within 3-4 yards to go tops. Never outside of that, you have mobile QBs for a reason, use them to throw or run.

What game were y'all watching? I just watched the first half and Gus picked up three consecutive first downs on third down with Harvey running the Wild Knight. Granted Harvey fumbled on his third carry, but it was after he had ran for the necessary yardage prior to coughing it up.

Also, Kansas State went for two 4th downs in the first half. One it failed to convert; the other it got in an offsides call.

K-State was scared of UCF.

Last edited:

Agreed. That 4th down decision was way worse, and way more impactful, than any play call on the night.

The offense was far from perfect but played well enough to win. I didn't watch the Missouri game, but just looking at the final score it seems like the primary difference between us and them was they played better defense. K-State set some kind of team record against us for 1st downs in a game -- that tells you all you need to know. But it's easier for us to dissect offense and the hundreds of observable decisions that are made every game than it is for us to think of ways to improve the defense. Usually it's just "tackle better".

I like the wild knight in short yardage situations. It gives you an extra blocker on the line and we’ve had a high conversion rate running it.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
I like the wild knight in short yardage situations. It gives you an extra blocker on the line and we’ve had a high conversion rate running it.
You can just put a guy on both sides of regular QB and have them hit hole on snap and QB runs behind them.

Wish he would though because I think he is very good at recruiting (except for QBs).
I am 1000% certain that Gus can RECRUIT any QB. The problem is, as some have stated here before, he is looking for a needle-in-a-haystack player to fit millimeter tight into his niche scheme. Does anyone honestly believe if we had Jeff Lebby or GJ Kinne as OC and actually running the offense, that Gus would not be capable of recruiting the best QB for that offense? I think he is. The best thing we could do is make Gus CEO and hire the best OC our money can buy. I love everything about Gus besides the offensive scheme and playcalling. Like the fire on the sidelines, love his ability to connect with young players, and he represents the program extremely well.

I am 1000% certain that Gus can RECRUIT any QB. The problem is, as some have stated here before, he is looking for a needle-in-a-haystack player to fit millimeter tight into his niche scheme. Does anyone honestly believe if we had Jeff Lebby or GJ Kinne as OC and actually running the offense, that Gus would not be capable of recruiting the best QB for that offense? I think he is. The best thing we could do is make Gus CEO and hire the best OC our money can buy. I love everything about Gus besides the offensive scheme and playcalling. Like the fire on the sidelines, love his ability to connect with young players, and he represents the program extremely well.
He is a good figure head (and the announcers on every network love to talk about his successes). If he can find the right OC and DC it could be a match made in heaven.

It's been stated, "that which doesn't destroy you only makes you stronger". It remains to be seen what outcome pertains to UCF this season. As our B12 home opener it is really painful but the type of loss makes it more so. It is early in the season but this loss makes many of us doubtful I'm sure.

It's been stated, "that which doesn't destroy you only makes you stronger". It remains to be seen what outcome pertains to UCF this season. As our B12 home opener it is really painful but the type of loss makes it more so. It is early in the season but this loss makes many of us doubtful I'm sure.
Certainly does for me. I still can't believe it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT