ADVERTISEMENT

Gus says he's going to re-evaluate all of the phases....

Oldest Man

Silver Knight
Oct 19, 2001
Re-evaluate? How about you do your job and actually evaluate this team every single day until you get the right schemes for this group of players? Just for starters, I can tell you the D needs coaching on how to tackle and needs to be re-schemed each game in the worst way. You can't play run-oriented teams with a base D every play. Not with the D talent that we have. And the O needs smarter play calling and increased QB awareness. We expect you to get off your butt Gus and do your job every single day, day in and day out, until you get this fixed. And if you can't then it's time for you and the AD (if he doesn't have the smarts to demand that you do your job and earn your ridiculous salary) to move along. It's no longer get on the Gus bus it's get off your butt Gus.

IMG-3677.png

I’m for it!

what’s going on with our transfers are they all busts? I feel like they barely see the field. (Mostly defense)

You can’t go cheap on DC when you’re a head coach who focuses on offense. Especially for your first year in a P5 conference. Addison is a first year DC and was our CB coach — the same CBs who couldn’t get a single interception most of last year. Really inexplicable error in judgment to promote this guy instead of hiring a veteran DC.

70's, member here since 2001 and season tic holder for many years....although I prefer praising our coaches (and usually do) I unload on them as needed. Unfortunately, it's time to call out Malzahn and his staff. They need to step it up. How about you?
What 70? You're just a kid. I'm almost 85 and i'm still not old. I thought 70 was the new 50?

Keep rooting for the Knights young man!. I hear 85 is the new 65!!
Great! Glad to hear that! Disappointed though I was laboring under the delusion it was the new 55 :) Still 65? I'll take it.

? ? ? ? ? Don't understand your reply to bprockman_100
Me either. It makes zero sense.

Gus has not adapted to anything since 2014.
Gus led the nation in rushing in 2013.
Gus led the nation in screen passes in 2017.

If that's not "adapting," I don't know what is.

To Yaes, bprockman_100 picked an arbitrary game (Texas A&M 2014) that a lot of idiots select to try to create some false narrative that Gus lost such and such games since that time.

A certain poster on here tries to arbitrarily pick the 2022 Navy game to say Gus forgot his to coach as well. It is just stupid.

In bprockman's case, it shows he doesn't have a growth mindset toward Gus. In other words he is close minded. Because Gus lost to Texas A&M in 2014, he can never be a great coach again. (As if Gus can't learn from his mistakes.)

Last edited:
1) Play as many freshmen and portal transfers as possible to see what they could do to prove themselves
2) let Hinshaw actually call the offense to see how it looks
3) tell Addison he needs to change up the defensive scheme because obviously it is failing miserably and every team knows how to defeat it
4) consider making adjustments at half time
5) at some point use tight ends and receivers on crossing routes across the middle on third down instead of the obvious run up the middle, screen play or some stupid trick play

Reactions: Knight59 and Yaes
1) Play as many freshmen and portal transfers as possible to see what they could do to prove themselves
3) tell Addison he needs to change up the defensive scheme because obviously it is failing miserably and every team knows how to defeat it
5) at some point use tight ends and receivers on crossing routes across the middle on third down instead of the obvious run up the middle, screen play or some stupid trick play
Most of these are spot on and the bad thing about Gus it want happen. Just like he did at Auburn

He just stubborn

Reactions: Yaes and UCFsbarro

#1, I don't think Gus is hiding any good players. If true freshmen, it is because they need a redshirt. If transfers aren't playing, it is a bad sign.

#2, Not gonna happen.

#3, I see through the Addison Williams is the defensive coordinator facade, like I see through my windshield.

#4, he has.

#5, he has.

#1, I don't think Gus is hiding any good players. If true freshmen, it is because they need a redshirt. If transfers aren't playing, it is a bad sign.

#2, Not gonna happen.

#3, I see through the Addison Williams is the defensive coordinator facade, like I see through my windshield.

#4, he has.

#5, he has.
56 unanswered points between Baylor and Kansas. UCF has given up 1,500 yards on defense the last three weeks.

Got lucky and beat a trash Boise team on a last minute FG. Three straight L’s. 1-5 vs P5 since last year.

Baylor just lost to Texas Tech 39-14…lol.

Last edited:
Remember when UCF used to be a top 5 scoring offense? #32 now and had 56 unanswered points against the likes of Baylor and Kansas.

Oklahoma will call the score against UCF. Dillon Gabriel Will clown Malzon….

It’s quite possible that UCF doesn’t win another game the rest of the year. Very possible. What will the Malzon simp say about that? Blame the fans again?

#2, Not gonna happen.

#4, he has.

#5, he has.
Your answer number 2 tells me everything I need to know about why Gus should be fired.

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
I don't know about any of this stuff but Gus, there is the solid phase, liquid phase and gas phase . If you go from a solid to gas phase it's called sublimation. It takes a lot of heat and or pressure to do it but it can be done. I think our defense undergoes sublimation as they are somewhat solid then immediately get gassed. There you have it an evaluation of all 3 phases .

• Haha
Reactions: Collinsco and Yaes
Unfortunately, we all know there will be no staff changes. Gus will continue to turn this into a mediocre program, and our Athletic Director will support him at every turn. I don’t understand why Terry won’t come out and make any type of statement to the Fanbase or the media. He’s been real quiet when he’s normally an outspoken social media personality

It's a bad sign that the team is getting worse under Gus as the roster becomes his own, rather than Heupel's leftovers. Definitely starting to feel like we're sliding backwards.
That's becoming more noticeable. Forcing turnovers has steadily declined each year under Malzahn.

2020 - 22 turnovers
2021 - 20
2022 - 17
2023 - 5 (On pace for 10) Team has not caused a single rushing fumble through 6 games. Kent State caused 1 on the season, Plumlee.

Re-evaluate? How about you do your job and actually evaluate this team every single day until you get the right schemes for this group of players? Just for starters, I can tell you the D needs coaching on how to tackle and needs to be re-schemed each game in the worst way. You can't play run-oriented teams with a base D every play. Not with the D talent that we have. And the O needs smarter play calling and increased QB awareness. We expect you to get off your butt Gus and do your job every single day, day in and day out, until you get this fixed. And if you can't then it's time for you and the AD (if he doesn't have the smarts to demand that you do your job and earn your ridiculous salary) to move along. It's no longer get on the Gus bus it's get off your butt Gus.
coach speak. He's full of crp

Reactions: PositYourself
what’s going on with our transfers are they all busts? I feel like they barely see the field. (Mostly defense)
Exactly why we need to move away from too many transfers (which we’ve had last two recruiting classes in 2022 and 2023; 0nly 14 and 15 high school recruits). 2024 so far has 18 and I assume there will be more. You probably want to only grab about 5 people to fill holes so you’re bringing in around 20 recruits per class (from high school) to maintain continuity and build an actual foundation.

Exactly why we need to move away from too many transfers (which we’ve had last two recruiting classes in 2022 and 2023; 0nly 14 and 15 high school recruits). 2024 so far has 18 and I assume there will be more. You probably want to only grab about 5 people to fill holes so you’re bringing in around 20 recruits per class (from high school) to maintain continuity and build an actual foundation.
Gus needs to cut all the chicken eaters and sign as many high school recruits and transfers as possible. If guys don't play and can't play, they need to go elsewhere.

well the same people who are evaluating these transfers (when they have actual college game footage) are evaluating high school players with even less to go on. i'm sure we' re just recruiting players that other big schools are recruiting and saying "well they can't all be wrong." we use to be a school that found underrated gems and put them in the NFL. now we're signing overrated bums and putting no one in the NFL.

when you see auburn's NFL numbers with Gus compared to their highly rated recruiting classes, it's not hard to see why we fell off.

Reactions: akhenaten and Yaes
well the same people who are evaluating these transfers (when they have actual college game footage) are evaluating high school players with even less to go on. i'm sure we' re just recruiting players that other big schools are recruiting and saying "well they can't all be wrong." we use to be a school that found underrated gems and put them in the NFL. now we're signing overrated bums and putting no one in the NFL.

when you see auburn's NFL numbers with Gus compared to their highly rated recruiting classes, it's not hard to see why we fell off.
Reminds me of the Maryland LBs that Gus brought in, despite both of them having red flags. However, all they saw was that they were 4 star recruits in HS. That decision by Gus had a lot more impact on the defense than what Huepel did 5 years ago.

Focusing on getting high rated recruits can be very lucrative for coaches, it buys them a lot of time. Look at Dawkins, he gets one recruit and now he is not considered on the hot seat by the fan base. Team can be in the basement for a few years, then get another highly rated recruit/class to buy the coach another couple years.

Try again...

Gus produced NFL draftees at a rate Auburn had not seen in a 100 years of playing football.

"Go all the way back to 2014, and Auburn has now produced 32 picks over seven drafts since Gus Malzahn’s first season as head coach in 2013 (28 in the College Football Playoff era, which ranks 10th among FBS teams nationally). It produced only 21 picks over the seven drafts before that and 30 over nine from 2005-13."

That's becoming more noticeable. Forcing turnovers has steadily declined each year under Malzahn.

2020 - 22 turnovers
2021 - 20
2022 - 17
2023 - 5 (On pace for 10) Team has not caused a single rushing fumble through 6 games. Kent State caused 1 on the season, Plumlee.
And the turnover margin is arguably the most important stat in football. How does the D not have a fumble recovery in six games? I would imagine that's a pretty short list of teams at the season midpoint.

Reactions: Knight59
And the turnover margin is arguably the most important stat in football. How does the D not have a fumble recovery in six games? I would imagine that's a pretty short list of teams at the season midpoint.
Four teams, though two of them have only played 5 games and faced opponents that have rushed the ball significantly less (80-90 attempts less). However, Terry's own Arkansas state is matching UCF stride for stride for terrible rush defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT