ADVERTISEMENT

Gus says he's going to re-evaluate all of the phases....

This is about where I thought our record would be. After two dogfights with Kansas State and Baylor, I kind of thought we might be out of gas. Just not enough depth yet. It will come. I haven't been impressed with the O, but haven't been completely disappointed. About where I thought we would be, especially if JRP got hurt. I thought Timmy would play better. He hasn't been terrible, but he has not played the way I hoped, for whatever that is worth. The bye couldn't have come at a better time. A week off to lick our wounds and get better. I do believe the second half of the schedule offers better opportunities to win. That being said, we have to be able to at least slow down the run. I work Saturdays, but I have the ESPN gamecast up and it seems very odd to me every time I see the other team throw an incompletion. Only because it seems like for the last few weeks, it seems like every play is opponent runs for 7 yards. Opp runs for 9 yards, opp runs for 12 yards, opp runs for 8 yards. Why would you ever pass when you can get on average about out 6-7 yards a carry. Honestly I was worried when we promoted from within for the DC. We weren't really that good on D in the AAC, running teams punished us unless they threw on an early down and missed an open receiver. Honestly, I think it is a combination of two factors on that side of the ball. We are not that good at LB, Jason Johnson is good, but can't do it by himself. And if you are being gashed in the run, that says all you need to know about your DL. Nobody seems to be stepping up and making consistent plays. I'm not able to watch the games, but is anybody outside of Tre'mon Morris Brash getting any heat on the QB when they do pass? I think the talent is there, but still very young. This is mostly a good, not elite, AAC team competing in the Big 12. I still think we have 2-4 wins left in us as we build towards next season. That being said, WTF is going on with our DC. Don't you see you are getting gashed every play. I do, and I'm not even able to watch the game. Make some adjustments. Commit to stopping the run. Play some cover 0, put as many in the box as you can. Maybe he is, like I said, I can't watch, just get to see the gamecast. The Offense played well enough to win both the K-State and Baylor games. But if you go back and watch the Baylor game, we never really stopped them, except for maybe the first two drives of the game. After that, they went up and down the field, only they stopped themselves. Going forward, I think we compete against OU, but get the L. I think Cincy and Houston are must wins, should win games. I think if we go to a bowl will come down to Okie State, Texas Tech and WVU. WVU has a great OL, that will be a tough one for us. Okie State is a physical team that just beat KSU. Texas Tech will be a tough matchup for us. I put my preseason prediction at 5-7 wins, I still think that is possible. But not if we don't figure out how to stop the run. If we don't I'm not sure 4-5 wins is possible. We might go 0-8 in conference our first year. Just a real possibility. But I'm sticking with 5 wins. Hopefully in the offseason, some of the young guys can really hit the weights, especially on the DL and take that next step. We really need them to

It’s not depth. We don’t have good coaches from top to bottom. Depth is the excuse people say when the coaches haven’t done enough to develop. By year 3 depth should not be an excuse. Starters are getting outclassed.

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
It’s not depth. We don’t have good coaches from top to bottom. Depth is the excuse people say when the coaches haven’t done enough to develop. By year 3 depth should not be an excuse. Starters are getting outclassed.
It is all connected. Poor defensive coaching leads to second chance opportunities for offenses, which is visible on third down conversions.

As the number of offensive plays mount up, fatigue sets in on the defense. Opening seeasin starters get injured and give way to reserves who aren't ready. Hence, the "new" starters (Rian Davis) get outclassed.

The biggest difference this year is UCF missed on transfers for whatever reason. I can only assume TWill is a better talent evaluator than I gave him credit for.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
This has nothing to do with money. Gus is just such a egomaniacal pos to hire real coaches. The best option was Brennan Marion who is killing it at unlv and have had him bring Malik Murphy with him. Instead Gus went with a yes man dick sucker.

And Addison Williams should have been fired last year, but instead coach Alzheimer’s promoted him because he bent over for Gus.

God I hate everyone involved with UCF hierarchy :
The geek president who only got the job because dg’s slam piece turned onlyfans model tried to be a reporter.

The cancer that is Alex martins as head of bot

The tiktok guy trying to flirt with underage girls

A dementia patient for hc

A loser as oc

A guy with a single digit iq as dc

I think if we had held onto that Baylor game, this thread would've turned out quite differently.

This has nothing to do with money. Gus is just such a egomaniacal pos to hire real coaches. The best option was Brennan Marion who is killing it at unlv and have had him bring Malik Murphy with him. Instead Gus went with a yes man dick sucker.

And Addison Williams should have been fired last year, but instead coach Alzheimer’s promoted him because he bent over for Gus.

God I hate everyone involved with UCF hierarchy :
The geek president who only got the job because dg’s slam piece turned onlyfans model tried to be a reporter.

The cancer that is Alex martins as head of bot

The tiktok guy trying to flirt with underage girls

A dementia patient for hc

A loser as oc

A guy with a single digit iq as dc

I believe Gus will figure this out and right the ship. You need to change your mind. If you have a little faith, you will be a lot happier.

Try again...

Gus produced NFL draftees at a rate Auburn had not seen in a 100 years of playing football.

"Go all the way back to 2014, and Auburn has now produced 32 picks over seven drafts since Gus Malzahn’s first season as head coach in 2013 (28 in the College Football Playoff era, which ranks 10th among FBS teams nationally). It produced only 21 picks over the seven drafts before that and 30 over nine from 2005-13."

so what you're saying is auburn is historically a school that wastes talent and gus was less wasteful than his predecessors? still not good enough. and turning 5 stars into late round NFL picks is also not something to brag about.

recruiting rankings:
2010 - #4
2011 - #7
2012 - #10
2013 - #8
2014 - #9
2015 - #7
2016 - #8
2017 - #14
2018 - #12

so those are the classes that would safely feed the drafts (2014-2020) that article is talking about. 7/9 top 10 classes and you're talking about 32 picks over 7 drafts like that's a good number when it's representative of high talent wastage. ucf had 14 draft picks over those 7 drafts with classes that average #63. so basically with your man gus we can expect top 30 classes and if we're lucky the same 2 drafted players on average.

so what you're saying is auburn is historically a school that wastes talent and gus was less wasteful than his predecessors? still not good enough. and turning 5 stars into late round NFL picks is also not something to brag about.

recruiting rankings:
2010 - #4
2011 - #7
2012 - #10
2013 - #8
2014 - #9
2015 - #7
2016 - #8
2017 - #14
2018 - #12

so those are the classes that would safely feed the drafts (2014-2020) that article is talking about. 7/9 top 10 classes and you're talking about 32 picks over 7 drafts like that's a good number when it's representative of high talent wastage. ucf had 14 draft picks over those 7 drafts with classes that average #63. so basically with your man gus we can expect top 30 classes and if we're lucky the same 2 drafted players on average.
Signing All Americans doesn't guarantee you'll win a national championship, but you sure won't win one without them.

--Paraphrased from Bobby Bowden

Signing All Americans doesn't guarantee you'll win a national championship, but you sure won't win one without them.

--Paraphrased from Bobby Bowden
i wasn't even talking about national championships anyway, I was talking about talent development. if you're good at talent development then when it comes to NFL productivity you'll at least match your recruiting. top 10 in incoming talent should mean top 10 in nfl draft picks. when you're bad at it you end up like auburn and texas where people ask "what the hell are you all doing with those blue chip recruits?" it must burn you all up that saban and his protégé at georgia aren't wasteful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT