ADVERTISEMENT

Gus's New Deal (Devil in the detail$)

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022

"As of earlier this year Malzahn would’ve been owed just under $3.6 Million if fired without cause, that number currently stands at $18 Million, lowering each year as it’s a percentage of guaranteed compensation.

Buyout

--By UCF (termination without cause by UCF): 75% of guaranteed compensation, coach has a duty mitigate buyout amount (buyout offset based on new employment, dollar for dollar)"

Ladies and Gents, hear my words and understand them later.... You better hope and pray Gus turns this thing around and is successful enough at UCF to be hired away or end up being the winningest coach in UCF history.

Otherwise, UCF will be forking over $18 million (or less) to pay Gus not to coach. Gus is owed 75% of his remaining contract if terminated early. This is the same contract deal Gus had at Auburn (with the lone exception being his buyout figure is mitigated by any new employment).

Please, please, please listen and understand: It is CHEAPER to pay money to make Gus successful (building infrastructure, increasing recruiting staff, raising assistant coaching salaries, etc.) than it is to fire Gus and start over with a low budget head coach and staff.

If you don't believe me, just look at Auburn.

"When Auburn gave Malzahn a new seven-year, $49 million contract at the end of the 2017 season, it came with significant buyout, with 75 percent of the deal’s value fully guaranteed. At the time of his firing last month, that buyout was down to $21,450,000, half of which was due within 30 days. That means last week Auburn forked over a $10,725,000 payment to its now-former coach, with the remaining money due in four equal annual installments."

Last edited:

"As of earlier this year Malzahn would’ve been owed just under $3.6 Million if fired without cause, that number currently stands at $18 Million, lowering each year as it’s a percentage of guaranteed compensation.

Buyout

--By UCF (termination without cause by UCF): 75% of guaranteed compensation, coach has a duty mitigate buyout amount (buyout offset based on new employment, dollar for dollar)"

Ladies and Gents, hear my words and understand them later.... You better hope and pray Gus turns this thing around and is successful enough at UCF to be hired away or end up being the winningest coach in UCF history.

Otherwise, UCF will be forking over $18 million (or less) to pay Gus not to coach. Gus is owed 75% of his remaining contract if terminated early. This is the same contract deal Gus had at Auburn (with the lone exception being his buyout figure is mitigated by any new employment).

Please, please, please listen and understand: It is CHEAPER to pay money to make Gus successful (building infrastructure, increasing recruiting staff, raising assistant coaching salaries, etc.) than it is to fire Gus and start over with a low budget head coach and staff.

"When Auburn gave Malzahn a new seven-year, $49 million contract at the end of the 2017 season, it came with significant buyout, with 75 percent of the deal’s value fully guaranteed. At the time of his firing last month, that buyout was down to $21,450,000, half of which was due within 30 days. That means last week Auburn forked over a $10,725,000 payment to its now-former coach, with the remaining money due in four equal annual installments."
Agree. We need to get the Assistant Coaches pool into the 5-7 mil range so we can attract and retain critical staff. TMo will have facilities upgraded. We will be good.

The raw numbers show we need to make the assistant coaches pool pay more competitive, nobody can question that. But Gus also needs to empower said coaches, we aren't going to attract an elite staff without that. Ex: Chip Lindsey leaves us and has UNC churning out almost 40ppg. (Maye deserves credit as well)

Seems like Malzahn could easily done what many pro athletes do, take in less money or restructure contact to allow the signing of better supporting cast.

It remains to be seen if Malzahn actually wants to hire coordinators that wield actual influence and power in the program though.

Reactions: Knight59

Buyout

The difference is that UCF does not have the money to buy Gus out so...

Seems like Malzahn could easily done what many pro athletes do, take in less money or restructure contact to allow the signing of better supporting cast.

It remains to be seen if Malzahn actually wants to hire coordinators that wield actual influence and power in the program though.
A few notes here.

I seriously doubt Gus Malzahn was present at the negotiations. Jimmy Sexton represents Gus and Sexton does wield actual influence in meetings with athletics directors and university presidents. The language of the contract has Sexton's fingerprints all over it.

The one thing that strikes me as odd is Terry Mohajir was able to include wording in the deal that would mitigate Gus's buyout with compensation from a new employer should UCF cut ties. On the surface, that looks like a win for Mohajir. However, Gus is a wealthy beyond the average person' imagination and will never need to work another day in his life post UCF.

Regarding your last point, the UCF administration/boosters can hire any assistants of their choosing regardless of Gus's input. Gus doesn't pay assistant coaches' salaries or buyouts; UCF does. Nothing is stopping UCF from firing and replacing Darin Hinshaw with Scott Frost, Mark Whipple, or Paul Chryst and Addison Williams with Jim Leonhard, Derek Mason, Charlie Strong, or Kurt Mattix. All of whom are available and affordable to UCF.

I personally think UCF needs to ditch the 4-2-5 and midget DBs and switch to a 3-4 or 4-3 in its new league. Of course that would require the Knights to have more than one FBS-caliber linebacker on the roster.

Last edited:
Terry putting all eggs in one shit sandwich. Gus better find a new OC
You mean a new defensive coordinator? A-Will is very green and it shows. I know the cupboard is dry at Linebacker but he makes no adjustments at the half. At least Lazy Randy and T-Will made adjustments at halftime.

The raw numbers show we need to make the assistant coaches pool pay more competitive, nobody can question that. But Gus also needs to empower said coaches, we aren't going to attract an elite staff without that. Ex: Chip Lindsey leaves us and has UNC churning out almost 40ppg. (Maye deserves credit as well)
Actually, they are averaging 37.3 per game so far.

They averaged 34.4 in 2022, but that included a stretch of 0-4 at the end of the season where they respectively scored 17, 27, 20 and 17.

A few notes here.

I seriously doubt Gus Malzahn was present at the negotiations. Jimmy Sexton represents Gus and Sexton does wield actual influence in meetings with athletics directors and university presidents. The language of the contract has Sexton's fingerprints all over it.

The one thing that strikes me as odd is Terry Mohajir was able to include wording in the deal that would mitigate Gus's buyout with compensation from a new employer should UCF cut ties. On the surface, that looks like a win for Mohajir. However, Gus is a wealthy beyond the average person' imagination and will never need to work another day in his life post UCF.

Regarding your last point, the UCF administration/boosters can hire any assistants of their choosing regardless of Gus's input. Gus doesn't pay assistant coaches' salaries or buyouts; UCF does. Nothing is stopping UCF from firing and replacing Darin Hinshaw with Scott Frost, Mark Whipple, or Paul Chryst and Addison Williams with Jim Leonhard, Derek Mason, Charlie Strong, or Kurt Mattix. All of whom are available and affordable to UCF.

I personally think UCF needs to ditch the 4-2-5 and midget DBs and switch to a 3-4 or 4-3 in its new league. Of course that would require the Knights to have more than one FBS-caliber linebacker on the roster.
Yeah the UCF admin can hire whoever they want, but what desirable assistant would come/stay if they aren't going to have the responsibilities to match their title? You think Frost/Whipple/etc would come here if Gus is going to do their job for them? Id argue its also led to us not being able to secure a big QB transfer under him, and we've run off several of our own QBs. Watching Penix/Nix play last weekend, and you can see why they chose another staff/system. I think Gus can really build a great program and roster here, but he has to be willing to delegate and empower.

Yeah the UCF admin can hire whoever they want, but what desirable assistant would come/stay if they aren't going to have the responsibilities to match their title? You think Frost/Whipple/etc would come here if Gus is going to do their job for them? Id argue its also led to us not being able to secure a big QB transfer under him, and we've run off several of our own QBs. Watching Penix/Nix play last weekend, and you can see why they chose another staff/system. I think Gus can really build a great program and roster here, but he has to be willing to delegate and empower.

Offense is not the problem. Gus can have total control of that.

The UCF administration needs to hire an established Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach and give him the authority to hire defensive assistants.

Dave Aranda (if available) or his understudy Jim Leonhard should get the first call.

As long as UCF doesn't pull a USF, we should be OK. We cannot afford to have 2-3 football coaches on the payroll. I still cannot believe that USF extended their last coach only to still fire him at the end of the year.

I still think the expectations were high this year. The level of competition has significantly increased this year - yes we have been embarrassed this year by Baylor and then had a poor showing against Kansas but we still have a good team. We can still turn it all around like Kansas State did last year. We can rally back and win the rest of our season and still be a top team in the conference. We need to go back to that mentality and go game by game. I don't care about the Baylor or Kansas game at this point if we can put a good football team on the field next week. If we make this next game close and can win games, all will be forgiven. Take it for what it is, this is a learning season. From this point on, we need to build up from here and consistently improve.

I think we should Gus should have at least 2-3 years in the Big 12 as consistency in the coaching position helps. He is a recruiter so I feel that we will get us access to some of the top recruits. If he cannot find success or prove that he is moving the team in the right direction, then we should get another coach who can. I still feel our team should become bowl eligible and I would consider that a successful season.

As long as UCF doesn't pull a USF, we should be OK. We cannot afford to have 2-3 football coaches on the payroll. I still cannot believe that USF extended their last coach only to still fire him at the end of the year.
I think UCF already pulled a USF by signing an extension with Malzahn and upping his salary without him delivering anything. Sure he would have been the lowest paid B12 coach. Malzahn is also flush with cash from his last buyout and nobody was beating down the doors to get him even before this season.

We will know more with how the rest of the season plays out, but if the Kansas game performance is not a fluke, things will go down hill fast and I would imagine there will be an exodus of starters come season end. Which lately for UCF football and basketball has been a tradition.

2023-10-18-14-19-06-UCF-31-44-Kansas-State-Sep-23-2023-Game-Stats-ESPN.jpg

2023-10-18-14-20-21-Baylor-36-35-UCF-Sep-30-2023-Game-Stats-ESPN.jpg

2023-10-18-14-21-02-UCF-22-51-Kansas-Oct-7-2023-Game-Stats-ESPN.jpg

GOL must be having heart palpitations over this defense.

I still think the expectations were high this year. The level of competition has significantly increased this year - yes we have been embarrassed this year by Baylor and then had a poor showing against Kansas but we still have a good team. We can still turn it all around like Kansas State did last year. We can rally back and win the rest of our season and still be a top team in the conference. We need to go back to that mentality and go game by game. I don't care about the Baylor or Kansas game at this point if we can put a good football team on the field next week. If we make this next game close and can win games, all will be forgiven. Take it for what it is, this is a learning season. From this point on, we need to build up from here and consistently improve.

I think we should Gus should have at least 2-3 years in the Big 12 as consistency in the coaching position helps. He is a recruiter so I feel that we will get us access to some of the top recruits. If he cannot find success or prove that he is moving the team in the right direction, then we should get another coach who can. I still feel our team should become bowl eligible and I would consider that a successful season.
I want what you're smoking @rainman614!

6-6!

Reactions: UCFsbarro
A few notes here.

I agree that it’s cheaper to pour money into support staff, recruiting, and assistants. But, Do you really expect us to believe UCF would hire assistants without Gus’ approval? Even if that were the case, it doesn’t absolve Gus for not identifying good coaches and hiring them.

This is Gus's 3rd year, we moved into the Big 12. You can't fire coaches every few years. What proven coach would want to go to that type of program and I'm tired of unproven coaches. I look forward to every Saturday and am enjoying the teams we are playing. I expect to be conference champs down the road but also think we need to let the dust settle. I see UCF moving in the right direction and know life if full of ups and downs.

This is Gus's 3rd year, we moved into the Big 12. You can't fire coaches every few years. What proven coach would want to go to that type of program and I'm tired of unproven coaches. I look forward to every Saturday and am enjoying the teams we are playing. I expect to be conference champs down the road but also think we need to let the dust settle. I see UCF moving in the right direction and know life if full of ups and downs.
Let's be honest and lay out all the information here.

Gus hired Addison Williams to keep together the 2023 defensive recruiting class; unfortunately 5 of the 12 do not play.

Addison Williams signed a 2-year deal worth $450k per year. He is without question the lowest paid coordinator in the Big 12 and one of the lowest paid in the entire FBS. By comparison, Travis Williams inked a 3-year deal worth $1.1 million per year, increasing 75k each year.

Addison Williams is not and was never expected to be a long term solution. He is a bandaid. A Dollar Tree brand bandaid, like CURAD, Coralite, CarePak, etc.

He gots to go.

Let's be honest and lay out all the information here.

Gus hired Addison Williams to keep together the 2023 defensive recruiting class; unfortunately 5 of the 12 do not play.

Addison Williams signed a 2-year deal worth $450k per year. He is without question the lowest paid coordinator in the Big 12 and one of the lowest paid in the entire FBS. By comparison, Travis Williams inked a 3-year deal worth $1.1 million per year, increasing 75k each year.

Addison Williams is not and was never expected to be a long term solution. He is a bandaid. A Dollar Tree brand bandaid, like CURAD, Coralite, CarePak, etc.

He gots to go.
I did not intend to imply that Gus couldn't hire and fire and I don't have your knowledge just was trying to add 2 cents. I enjoy your posts and banter.

I did not intend to imply that Gus couldn't hire and fire and I don't have your knowledge just was trying to add 2 cents. I enjoy your posts and banter.
I could be wrong. I just don't see any way the guy survives. Thank you for the kind words.

Buyout

LOL, UCF is not buying out Gus' contract...ever. So get used to Gus being around a while

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT