ADVERTISEMENT

Has Heupel changed

For me it would be;
1. Special Teams - Two blocks allowed, directly costing us 1 point, and gifting Navy 7 on the scoreboard. We lost by 4.
2. Defense - Could not stop the triple option consistently. Allowed scores (3 TDs 1 FG) in half of their possessions. 406 yards allowed, the most for Navy this season.
3. Offense - Ineffective and inefficient. 2 - 10 on 3rd Downs.

Keene's lone interception came at the very end. Absolutely far from a great game, he was sub-par, but he was not the sole reason we took an L in Annapolis. We were up 13 in the 3rd.

They still had to win each and every one of them, and they did. I don't know about you, could just be me, but I think with a healthy KZ we handily beat LSU and we're talking about extremely rarified air with back-to-back undefeated seasons. Everyone had us circled on their schedule because they wanted to be the team to break the streak and shut us up. We were every teams' SuperBowl that season.
We win that LSU game plus the 2019 team that went 10-3 goes 12-0 in the regular season (lost those 3 games by a total of 7 points). That would have been 38 wins in a row going into the AAC title game, which we would have hosted. No guarantee on a win in that game but I like our chances, and if we won that another shot at a NY6 game (because the powers that be still would have kept us away from the CFI). Although, maybe, just maybe they would have snuck us in at #4. That would have resulted in a rematch of the 2019 Fiesta Bowl, with a first round matchup of LSU versus UCF. That would have gotten lots of interest.... but lets put that in perspective. We would have had to win 39 games in a row to maybe get that chance.

Now Cincy may get a shot after winning just 13 in a row.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Strength
There was plenty of excitement on the sidelines with JH. We had our own players fighting with each other on the sidelines while JH did nothing. It was a total undisciplined circus. Glad to see him and that sorry RS go. I think the Scott Frost years are looking more like a Danny White fluke pick after seeing what's happened the past 3 years, rather than an intelligent calculated move to build our program. It's even more apparent when you see DW take JH with him to UT.

Heupel at UCF was not ready to recruit as a head coach. Luckily it will be much easier recruiting at Tennessee. Also his halftime adjustments were null and he never adjusted for the defense being gassed in the second half.

It’s difficult to assess because if Heup was handcuffed by DW with the Shannon hire (and unable to fire him) why would he then follow DW to Tennessee and potentially end up in the same frustrating situation. He hired a Penn State guy as his DC at Tennessee. Seems he had the autonomy to do so, which makes you more inclined to think he thought Shannon was doing a good job (or good enough).

In the end he got his opportunity at UCF and did some really good things in 2018 and 2019 (playing with a true freshman QB). I do think beyond coaching he was somehow losing the locker room and that is why we sank in 2020 and have issues this season. Gus was the right option at the time. We need some consistency with our staff to really grow players into one system.

I guess we’ll see how it all works out.
good points

There was plenty of excitement on the sidelines with JH. We had our own players fighting with each other on the sidelines while JH did nothing. It was a total undisciplined circus. Glad to see him and that sorry RS go. I think the Scott Frost years are looking more like a Danny White fluke pick after seeing what's happened the past 3 years, rather than an intelligent calculated move to build our program. It's even more apparent when you see DW take JH with him to UT.
Thank goodness he took huep with him!!!

Reactions: GoKnights2003
For me it would be;
1. Special Teams - Two blocks allowed, directly costing us 1 point, and gifting Navy 7 on the scoreboard. We lost by 4.
2. Defense - Could not stop the triple option consistently. Allowed scores (3 TDs 1 FG) in half of their possessions. 406 yards allowed, the most for Navy this season.
3. Offense - Ineffective and inefficient. 2 - 10 on 3rd Downs.

Keene's lone interception came at the very end. Absolutely far from a great game, he was sub-par, but he was not the sole reason we took an L in Annapolis. We were up 13 in the 3rd.

They still had to win each and every one of them, and they did. I don't know about you, could just be me, but I think with a healthy KZ we handily beat LSU and we're talking about extremely rarified air with back-to-back undefeated seasons. Everyone had us circled on their schedule because they wanted to be the team to break the streak and shut us up. We were every teams' SuperBowl that season.
No one said the interception was the sole reason we lost. But defense not stopping them much shouldn’t matter. We also shouldn’t be punting deep in our own part of field because it’s a bad Navy defense. Marshall scored 40+ On them. With a decent QB we can put 40 on them. Not sure what part of Navy’s only win is against us you are fighting against.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT