ADVERTISEMENT

Have we “lapped” USF?

NYCKnightLife

Four-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017
No question UCF has put some distance between USF in terms of accomplishments on the football field. UCF’s brazen National Title campaign is likely putting distance in the brand factor as well. It would take them more than 1/2 a decade of sustained excellence to catch up. UCF still seems to struggle recruiting against them and obviously the head to head is still in their favor. Like most UCF fans the one thing that doesn’t sit well is that UCF has yet to hand them a true blowout loss they way they have handed UCF a couple of times. Their overall bowl record is better however UCF has the big boy bowl wins which count probably 2X as
Much. 2019 is a huge, HUGE opportunity for Heupal and co to cement UCF into the national picture and perhaps leave USF behind for a long time to come . A nice 54-7 beat down at the Pirate Ship is past due!!Hope the “Heup” is for real!!

The head2head has become irrelevant when UCF just won the 2nd NYD Bowl in 4 years & this time against the SEC West Champ. Also notice that most of their OOC upsets that they used to brag about came when those Programs had their worst years(7 win teams) and either fired or forced that coach into retirement(FSU, Auburn)

UCF caps off the big years with wins over Conference & Division Champions

UCF ahead by a large margin. This year's War on I-4 was a big turning point. Remember that this was USF's year. They had the star senior QB and a ton of returning starters from a good team. They had the weakest schedule of any AAC team. They were supposed to be favored in and win all their games. They were supposed to be playing in the AAC title game and they were supposed to represent the G5 in the New Years Six.

It all came gloriously crashing down on Black Friday.

But that's what the talk is, the expectation. And it should be. USF is favored to be the Group of Five representative in the New Year's Six bowl picture. Athlon has USF headed for the Peach Bowl. Phil Steele's Football Preview has USF down for the Cotton Bowl. Charlie Strong is following Willie Taggart. USF is coming off 11 wins, the best year in its history.

We're a million miles away from 13-0, no playoffs, Charlie leaving. What a great problem that would be. USF making a New Year's Six bowl would be an astounding milestone. You're telling me Bulls fans wouldn't take that right now?

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/coll...ootball-season-would-and-wouldnt-mean/2331420

The best way to nudge that argument forward is to have a credible playoff contender deep into November. The only realistic way a Group of Five program can do that is to go undefeated. And that’s the task facing South Florida.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/08/18/american-athletic/?utm_term=.2c27754acdb3

They'll still bring up the score of a game a decade ago, not realizing how ridiculous it makes them look.

giphy.gif

With a 5 conference title, 2 New Year bowl win, and a National Championship deficit?......yeah even Captain Obvious would agree. USF's only real chance to catch up is to join the NFL.

Reactions: GoKnights2003
They'll still bring up the score of a game a decade ago, not realizing how ridiculous it makes them look.

Just like Nobraska bringing up their last natty Ancient History. Pretty desperate when you have to go back into your past to find moments of greatness to try to top UCF.

Reactions: Mikesi
I don't think we have lapped them, but I do believe we have accomplished more than they have. The issue both teams have is consistency. Once we have consistency, then I will believe we have lapped them, college football is a pendulum. Right now it is swinging in our favor but it won't always swing that way. We are just one bad season away for the Bulls to catch up. What I want to see is the AAC win next year's NY6 game preferably UCF again :)

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
IMO, yes. You see, USF was built for individual games, which is why they can claim beating us 64-12, beating WV and Auburn and being #2 for a week.

However, GOL built the team for the long haul - not for certain spurts. Yeah, we have lapped them - both on and off the field.

But hey, the Glazers are happy. The rent they have paid the Bucs made the improvements to RJS possible. As a Bucs fan I thank them for that.

Reactions: ProAttitude
I don't think we have lapped them, but I do believe we have accomplished more than they have. The issue both teams have is consistency. Once we have consistency, then I will believe we have lapped them, college football is a pendulum. Right now it is swinging in our favor but it won't always swing that way. We are just one bad season away for the Bulls to catch up. What I want to see is the AAC win next year's NY6 game preferably UCF again :)
They’ve never won a conference. Ever. Even when we were 0-12 they couldn’t take advantage. Last year when Milton couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn they couldn’t take advantage. If Bama wins tomorrow we probably get ranked 1 or 2 by multiple outlets. We are 10 laps ahead at the Monster Mile.

They’ve never won a conference. Ever. Even when we were 0-12 they couldn’t take advantage. Last year when Milton couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn they couldn’t take advantage. If Bama wins tomorrow we probably get ranked 1 or 2 by multiple outlets. We are 10 laps ahead at the Monster Mile.

I think my laps are bigger than your laps. I agree with you in regards to your points - conference champions, major bowl wins, etc. At the end of the day, we are in the same conference suffering the same problems making roughly the same amount of TV money. Both teams suffer from coach poaching and are viewed by many fans to play in a weak conference which means our TV contracts are not as valuable. I think we are ahead, I don't think we have lapped USF. If we jump into the Big12 or another P5, I would change my story because we are less likely to be poached, we will have better competition, and we will have more tv revenue.

Reactions: Wings0fred
No question UCF has put some distance between USF in terms of accomplishments on the football field. UCF’s brazen National Title campaign is likely putting distance in the brand factor as well. It would take them more than 1/2 a decade of sustained excellence to catch up. UCF still seems to struggle recruiting against them and obviously the head to head is still in their favor. Like most UCF fans the one thing that doesn’t sit well is that UCF has yet to hand them a true blowout loss they way they have handed UCF a couple of times. Their overall bowl record is better however UCF has the big boy bowl wins which count probably 2X as
Much. 2019 is a huge, HUGE opportunity for Heupal and co to cement UCF into the national picture and perhaps leave USF behind for a long time to come . A nice 54-7 beat down at the Pirate Ship is past due!!Hope the “Heup” is for real!!
2x? NYD/BCS bowl wins are about 10x the impact factor of a non-BCS/NYD Bowl win.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
UCF ahead by a large margin. This year's War on I-4 was a big turning point. Remember that this was USF's year. They had the star senior QB and a ton of returning starters from a good team. They had the weakest schedule of any AAC team. They were supposed to be favored in and win all their games. They were supposed to be playing in the AAC title game and they were supposed to represent the G5 in the New Years Six.

It all came gloriously crashing down on Black Friday.

One thing this does bring to the forefront is actually how hard it is to go undefeated in ANY conference. All the stars had aligned for USF and they lost 2 conference games. By all accounts they had a great season. 11 wins and a bowl victory against P5. But now they will all be measured by the UCF undefeated season

Reading the posts on their message board about out national championship is worth whatever money it costs to pay the coaches. There is so much anger and jealousy there is it amazing. I know if the shoe were on the other foot I would probably feel the same.

What Usf doesn’t know is that they showed their logo during the peach bowl and the crowd erupted in cheers. Probably not for the reason they want though...

If Jim Lampley was calling this discussion/fight, he would be shouting: "They are stopping the fight. They are stopping the fight".

To somewhat quote Otis Anderson, "And we're gonna keep our foot on their neck."

Yeppers - UT. Good school. Nice campus. Just don't drive about 15 minutes north into suitcase city, aka Temple Terrace.

main-qimg-82c565fc4d22830b6a0fd1578df5a25c-c

Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff (wrestling) was a running back there as I recall.

I think the Big 12 has to be thinking of expanding and including UCF as their first team.

Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff (wrestling) was a running back there as I recall.

John Matuszak was a defensive end for the Tampa Spartans and an All-American in 1972. He was selected first overall in the National Football League draft by the Houston Oilers. He played 123 career games with Houston, Kansas City, and Oakland. As an actor, Matuszak antagonized opposite Ringo Starr in the comedy Caveman and played "Sloth" in the 1985 comedy The Goonies.

Reactions: AAC6800
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT