ADVERTISEMENT

Heather Cox Richardson February 8, 2020

Trigeek

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2001
February 8, 2020 (Saturday)

On Monday, Trump will release his 2021 budget. It contains $800 billion worth of cuts in Medicaid over the next decade. On January 22, in an interview on CNBC when he was at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, when pressed on the enormous budget deficits his policies have created—he has added almost $3 trillion to the national debt-- he suggested that he is considering cutting Social Security and Medicare in his second term. “That’s actually the easiest of all things, if you look,” he said. And despite his pledge at the State of the Union to protect health insurance coverage for people with preexisting conditions, his administration is currently asking the courts to repeal the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) entirely, a decision the Supreme Court has put off until after the 2020 election.

One of the reasons the nation’s deficit and debt is soaring is that Trump’s 2017 tax cut slashed tax revenues. And rather than helping regular Americans, “the plumbers, the carpenters, the cops, the teachers, the truck drivers, the pipe-fitters, the people that like me best,” as Trump put it, 60% of the tax savings went to people whose incomes were in the top 20%.

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/february-8-2020

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to stop posting full scripts of published articles without a link.

I'm tagging my own post because the moderators need to be aware of this going on. It is copyright infringement and can lead to a lawsuit.

It is absolutely painful that history is written by people that are so left-biased as this. I stopped reading these but popped into this one to learn that she thinks federal tax revenues were slashed after 2017. Those years went $3.32T, $3.33T, and $3.46T. Of course, if you believe that corporatism is evil, then a decline in the corporate tax revenue would be a “slashing”. But when overall receipts are flat or increasing, you can’t call it a slashing.

And no, you can’t say that tax revenue fell as a percentage of production unless you acknowledge the role of the tax rate in that production.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT