ADVERTISEMENT

Herman Bye Bye?

LSU is a harder job. Higher expectations, more competition, less resources, Nick Saban. Once you jump over the elite hurdle at Texas, maintaining that will be like coaching at FSU, maybe easier.

Harder job??? No. They are in the top 20.

More competition?? Yeah

Less resources?? It's LSU in the SEC
They have plenty of resources.

Nick Saban won't be coaching forever and LSU could rule the SEC. He will be 66 in 2017.

Texas fans have been humbled by so many years of drought. They see how wizard offensive coordinators have come to places like Oklahoma and turned them around in 1 or 2 years. Yet their hiring has been TOO focused on a coach who can work with alums and donors. Look how Penn State and Ohio State went to town with a modern offense.

Well.., we will soon find out for sure, but if he shuns Texas, it's for obvious reasons.

Just on quality of life, Austin is a zillion times better than Baton Rouge.
Never heard of a big time coach and job even take that into consideration

I was just in Houston. The stadium was nice, but the city? Meh. He's been there

Never heard of a big time coach and job even take that into consideration

I was just in Houston. The stadium was nice, but the city? Meh. He's been there
That's because Austin is unique among college or even college/state capital towns. Tallahassee may be the closest for livability, especially if a coach has a family, but lacks the size for the urban amenities (whereas OSU's Columbus is too large and cultureless). When you are at the top of your profession, you can go anywhere. College football is a coach's game, rather than primarily a recruiting game the way basketball is, and you can have your assistant coach's live on the road. Moreover, He knows Texas and that is enough talent for a national championship (U Michigan has almost no locals starting). The nice thing about Austin is a coach can ignore his family and know they are still gonna be happy.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I agree that Austin is probably the best live/work market in Major College Football but the Booster meddling is a big problem. One of the biggest boosters did a radio interview just 1 week after Strong was hired saying he was better served 'just being a coordinator'.

LSU is already a loaded roster with another Top 5 Recruiting Class coming in.

Reactions: Mikesi
We'll know real soon if he signs with LSU. Don't do it! Louisiana is ranked worst in quality of life, racism, and political corruption. Baton Rouge is known in particular for its racist cops and, as state capital, the center of the corruption. Herman has hands the best and longest resume of anyone available, so he'll get other top offers before the year ends. Nobody's mentioned that he was a grad asst. at Texas and got his masters there. I hadn't known that. His tenure at Sam Houston, Rice and Texas St. makes him a Texas guy through and through.

We'll know real soon if he signs with LSU. Don't do it! Louisiana is ranked worst in quality of life, racism, and political corruption. Baton Rouge is known in particular for its racist cops and, as state capital, the center of the corruption. Herman has hands the best and longest resume of anyone available, so he'll get other top offers before the year ends. Nobody's mentioned that he was a grad asst. at Texas and got his masters there. I hadn't known that. His tenure at Sam Houston, Rice and Texas St. makes him a Texas guy through and through.
When you're going to make like 5-6 million dollars a year quality of life statistics for the state don't mean squat. His family's quality of life will be just fine. Good for him. He has earned it.

he's worth 5-6 million to several schools. He grew up in SoCal like me, and I never knew anyone there who'd move there for any amount of money. We'll soon learn if he's such a guy.

Quality of life index figures apply to regular people, not multi-millionaire coaches who can live isolated amongst the elite in any city if they so choose.

Job satisfaction is much more important and that hasn't existed for awhile at Texas. At LSU, The coaches are very happy, it's just that they are expected to be top 15 or so, not top 20-25. Herman would have them near the top yearly

looks like LSU got to him first but Texas jumped in late and won the bidding war, over 6 mil a year. Their money saves them from almost botching this

Reactions: UCFProf
I said that would be the outcome. LSU needs a reality check. As bad as Texas' alums are, they're much worse at LSU, a tougher conference schedule, and zero upside. When I read about Herman's connections with UT, it was a no brainer as long at Texas was wise enough to make an offer.

Announcers saying Texas stocked full with talented frosh and sophomores. National championship, lookout!

Herman called up to the majors. Why would he continue to toil in the minors? He got his players where they are. They should thank him.

Herman had one good year. This year he pulled a Jim Leavitt. Won the big games and wet the bed in conference. They had to come from behind to beat us. I think he is overrated but I guarantee Charlie Strong will not leave the cubboard bare.

Herman's been hugely successful for almost two decades while moving up every couple years. He's the same age as Frost but didn't lose those coaching years by playing in the NFL as Frost did.

Harder job??? No. They are in the top 20.

More competition?? Yeah

Less resources?? It's LSU in the SEC
They have plenty of resources.

Nick Saban won't be coaching forever and LSU could rule the SEC. He will be 66 in 2017.

Yes. Saban will be there next year and probably 2018. You only get 3 years to make a splash. Texas has more resources.

Reactions: UCFProf
Yeah! what's in Houston? The only city in the nation without ANY zoning laws. Ugly. And the people suck, too. Austin is one of the only tolerable places in the South. He done right.

Pretty funny the Big12 doesn't want our teams but they sure do love our coaches...
Why's it funny? That's the P-5 business model! They grab any proven talent we develop. You can't beat them at their own rigged game. Certainly, winning won't do it, nor great coaches. Most of the best recruits head to P-5, so the G-4 must innovate offenses that are more exciting to watch or can negate superior talent advantages. Those innovation and the coaches or coordinators who develop them get bid away by wealthier athletic programs. And the cycle begins anew. It's the Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals. We are meant to lose.

Reactions: jtGoldenKnights
Chump change! Their donor resources are a bottomless pit, as is everything UT. For example, they are are the only state university with multibillion dollar endowments up there with some of the top private universities. It's like 5 times UF's and 30 times ours (though still only one-sixth of Harvard's). And football is EVERYTHING in Texas. Even JC games are broadcast. Finally, UT dominates the entire multi-state region from New Mexico to Oklahoma to Louisiana.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT