ADVERTISEMENT

Hey, old people on the board...

fabknight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2007
I find as I'm getting older that my passion for working hard, my ambition and drive are starting to dwindle. It seems the older I get the more tired and lazy I get. I'm curious on what has been your experience through your career as you get older?

As I have gotten older, I have learned not to give a f*ck about other people and what they think, but the ambition and drive have gotten stronger. Difference is probably between being an entrepreneur mindset vs a worker bee. I feed off of the souls of the working man while you get the will to live sucked right out of you. Oh and I am evil so as I collect minions, my power grows until one day I will take over the world.

Haven't lost the drive entirely but different things motivate me now instead of the "how much money can I make" mentality. I've also learned how to manage stress much better. I recently had a customer yell at me for taking his problem non-chalantly, I told him don't confuse calmness with not caring. If I can't control a situation I try not to let it affect me.

Reactions: ProAttitude
I find the older I get, my fapn drive only increases. I can't walk by a Good Housekeeping mag without sporting wood. Work drive is only increasing too. But I am a part owner which I think makes a difference. At least it does to me.

I've been in the same industry for 13 years and feel I've hit my ceiling. Next level for me is not where I want to go, despite the money. It's not a job I want. So yeah, I feel I need a change. I have a drive, but it's not doing what I'm doing now and I'd need to either start my own business or go back to school. For me, I'm just bored with what I do now and want something new and I think if/when that happens, I'll be more driven than ever.

priorities change. As I moved up the ladder I have a lot of autonomy which allows me to cater my work schedule around my family. It's nice not to have to think/respond/reply to customers all of the time.

Reactions: ProAttitude
If you are not doing physical work, There is no real reason you should slow down very much. If you work for a living, at some point things start breaking down. I did well up to 50, Now I have turned 60 it seems like I get hurt every day by really stupid stuff. I fill up my truck at fire hydrants, {I have a meter on truck} been turning them on for 35 years, couple of weeks ago started to turn one on and my shoulder popped out and fortunately right back in. Couldn't lift my arm or pull with it for a week, and it still is sore. Stupid stuff gets hurt for no good reason other than being an old fart.

You should just do more things that make you happy instead of trying to please everyone else. Also try to stop being so negative and try to find the good in situations instead of your typical doomsday nonsense we see all over these boards everyday.*

If you are not doing physical work, There is no real reason you should slow down very much. If you work for a living, at some point things start breaking down. I did well up to 50, Now I have turned 60 it seems like I get hurt every day by really stupid stuff. I fill up my truck at fire hydrants, {I have a meter on truck} been turning them on for 35 years, couple of weeks ago started to turn one on and my shoulder popped out and fortunately right back in. Couldn't lift my arm or pull with it for a week, and it still is sore. Stupid stuff gets hurt for no good reason other than being an old fart.

Mental work is more demanding than physical labor. Physical labor just sucks more. Brainless, physical labor sucks even more than plain old physical labor.

You should just do more things that make you happy instead of trying to please everyone else. Also try to stop being so negative and try to find the good in situations instead of your typical doomsday nonsense we see all over these boards everyday.*

LOL, Vaginae! I'm quite happy. I just seem to be getting lazy and I'm actually a very optimistic person. I still do 10-11 hours per day and have busted ass every day of my life. Maybe that's the problem.

Reactions: jetsaholic
If we only had to work 24 hours a week and got paid to take a couple years off to write a book none of this would be happening.

LOL, Vaginae! I'm quite happy. I just seem to be getting lazy and I'm actually a very optimistic person. I still do 10-11 hours per day and have busted ass every day of my life. Maybe that's the problem.
Don't worry, I was kidding.*

Reactions: fabknight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT