ADVERTISEMENT

Hire Gus

Central Floridave

Todd's Tiki Bar
Aug 21, 2001
Just as an experiment to counter that stupid 'fire gus' thread, let's try this one.

Be a Positive Paul and not a Neggie-Nancy and make some good statements about Coach Malzhan. (lobocane need not apply).

I'll start...
I like the run first mentality. If they know you are going to run the ball and you are still successful running the ball, 9 times out of 10 you gonna win.
Recruiting is top notch. His spider web amongst High School and other college recruiting circles is wide.
Coachspeak. He knows it, we know it, he plays the game of coachspeak very well. Wins the press conferences. Takes blame, inspires to always improve.

Most importantly, we are 3-0 and winning cures everything....

Just as an experiment to counter that stupid 'fire gus' thread, let's try this one.

Be a Positive Paul and not a Neggie-Nancy and make some good statements about Coach Malzhan. (lobocane need not apply).

I'll start...
I like the run first mentality. If they know you are going to run the ball and you are still successful running the ball, 9 times out of 10 you gonna win.
Recruiting is top notch. His spider web amongst High School and other college recruiting circles is wide.
Coachspeak. He knows it, we know it, he plays the game of coachspeak very well. Wins the press conferences. Takes blame, inspires to always improve.

Most importantly, we are 3-0 and winning cures everything....
Very happy for the 3-0 and his recruitment.

I am happy he is playing to our strengths. Run first and establish the running game. When they cannot stop us, then it opens our passing game up. I got frustrated when he wouldn't build around DG/MK/et al but he was determined to do things his way. When I saw talented players leaving, I just had to trust that we were still going in the right direction (not the same direction Florida is headed). Overall, I've been happy with Gus. I like him and hope he decides to stay here. Its a nice change of pace when every 2-3 years someone would poach our coach. As long as we keep improving year over year, I'm happy.

I loved the high-flying offenses that Frost and Heupel ran. It was ready-made for the conference the Knights were in and the schedule they played. But when UCF moved up to a Big Boy League, I seriously doubt the program could have maintained it week after week against better competition. Frost tried to do it his first few years at Nebraska and got manhandled by B1G defenses.

Gus has been around long enough to know what type of team can be successful in a conference like the Big XII. Clearly, he's developing a team quite different from the Frost/Heupel days. I see it as a 'work in progress.' Some impatient Knight fans need to remember that Rome wasn't built in a day.

3-0. Two FBS schools and a TCU with serious depth issues on defense. I’m glad UCf could come back on Saturday, but it shouldn’t have taken 2-3 quarters for a coach to realize that we had the advantage through the air.

I want to see how Gus does against more talented teams. I’ve seen him piss away too many games for me to believe this year will be different. I hope I’m proven wrong.

I like Gus as a person. He is authentic and I want to believe he truly has passion for being the leader of UCF football. I think the guy retires from UCF and does so with a Big XII championship or 2.
I agree with my old sparing partner, Nauti. The two most essential aspects of a good HC is recruiting and development. Unless UCF had huge bundles of NIL cash laying around that I'm not aware of, you need a veteran like Gus to know where best use it --- as well as the contacts to find the under-the-radar guys they can develop into dudes.

This is a really tough time to manage a college football team, especially one in UCF's position in the Big XII. I think there are quite a few Knight fans who don't appreciate how good they have it. The team in playing Big Boy Football now and last time I checked, UCF is 3-0. The line between success and failure is razor-thin nowadays. If you don't believe me, ask Florida State's Mike Norvell. :)

Reactions: U C to the F
3-0. Two FBS schools and a TCU with serious depth issues on defense. I’m glad UCf could come back on Saturday, but it shouldn’t have taken 2-3 quarters for a coach to realize that we had the advantage through the air.

I want to see how Gus does against more talented teams. I’ve seen him piss away too many games for me to believe this year will be different. I hope I’m proven wrong.
Also the FG and Extra point blunders are scary. Hopefully the new 4 qtr mentality will hold and KJ can throw a few more on target passes. I still don't understand why he can't pass.

Reactions: PositYourself
Amen, thanks for the perspective people often times lack Shucks. We had too much success so early, our fans are spoiled with unrealistic expectations. Every blue blood program has up and down years. The thing mostly lost on Gus is how he has transitioned the big jump up in competition and the depth needed for the Big12 and he has done a great job at it recruiting, portal and setting up the foundation. Every team making the jump up struggles.

Reactions: DaShuckster
Also the FG and Extra point blunders are scary. Hopefully the new 4 qtr mentality will hold and KJ can throw a few more on target passes. I still don't understand why he can't pass.
Why you say he can’t pass? He had a terrible first game but since then he’s been really good. He’s got 5 TDs to 1 INT, just shy of 600 yards passing, 150+ yds rushing and I think a couple more rushing TDs (no fumbles btw). And almost 63% completion. Completion isn’t great, but he’s steadily improved each game. His PFF grades have been good last 2 games.

Our WR depth is an issue though, that’s not helping and our pass protection is a little suspect.

1 FCS, 1 G6 and 1 P4.

People have mentioned the recruiting level, but I'm glad he recruits FL, GA, etc hard. Its important to build that brand in our own backyard especially being the only B12 team nearby. I've also yet to hear of someone that doesn't have positive things to say about Gus as a person, and he publicly supports his former athletes into the NFL/real world and vice versa. And knock on wood player incidents off the field have been infrequent, so it seems he runs a tight ship or is at minimum a good role model to the players and staff.

Reactions: PositYourself
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT