ADVERTISEMENT

Holy crap Florida's school system sucks UPDATED with School's Response

Re: Holy crap Florida's school system sucks

OCPS's Response

The program titled ReTeaching is in fact not remedial. Perhaps their marketing people should go to the class to learn what remedial means.

The teacher was the one who was tasked with responding to us. Her superiors passed the buck.

She tried to tell us it wasn't remedial and that it would enrich their scores on the test. She also said that if my daughter was unable to attend we had to let them know so that they could replace her with another student because they were required to have a certain number of students in the class.

So it was exactly as I thought it was. A quota system handed down by superiors to teachers regardless of teaching level to keep the show of teaching while really only trying to make sure all of their forms are filled out correctly so they get their bonuses and annual raises, etc.

This is what our education system in Orange County has come to.

Private School
I have been told by teachers (real ones not the ones that are occupying a good chunk of the classrooms these days), that Private School for PreK and K is great, 1-5 isn't necessary, 6-8 is great and then high school isn't necessary. The reasoning is that PreK and K get them their core reading, language and math skills that gets them placed in the advanced classes in 1-5. In 1-5, even in public school, they are getting the best teachers to teach the advanced classes so they are getting as good of an education as in Private Schools.

By Middle School, there is a lot of cross over from the teachers between lower level and advanced so your teachers are hit and miss and you are lining up your grades and class track to be in AP classes in High School and for dual enrollment.

For High School, the students are either self-motivated or not so the structure of where you put them doesn't matter. The kids in the AP program are dealing with teachers who have to go through additional training to teach so the students are getting the level of education commensurate with the class level.

Originally posted by ReginaeUCF:
My wife and i both went to top ten academic high schools in the nation - public schools in Duval County. If you want your kids to get a good education it's available, for free.

Did you run into Nu while you were at your Top Ten Academic school? He kept going, though, and went to a Top Ten University, too!

Originally posted by UCFWayne:

Originally posted by EweSeaEff:
Originally posted by UCFWayne:
How much does private school normally cost? Things like this are really pushing me towards that way.
Not sure how much they "normally" cost (i.e., I don't know what the average is), but we just received the renewal contracts for our girls' school and tuition next year is going up by $500 to just under $16,000 for the first child. For the first time ever they're offering a discount off that tuition for the second enrolled child (historically, you only received a discount beginning with the third child) of $785. So, all-in, we've been running about $30k per year for our girls...plus what we contribute via taxes to the public school system.
Is there a monthly payment plan available? If so how much? Is it just for the months they are in school or over the span of a full year?

My daughter is almost 2, and second is due in April, so Ive got plenty of time. Im just curious.
Yes, there's a monthly payment plan available but I think it comes with a 5%-6% financing charge. Our kids' school also has scholarships available, etc.

As for when to send kids to private - there's no one way to look at it. I should preface this by saying that my wife is a language arts teacher for public middle (currently) and public high (in the past) and she was also recently a resource teacher for title 1 at a local private school (before recently re-entering the classroom on a full-time basis). The elementary schools around us are decent...at least they get decent "grades". None of them can hold the jockstrap of the school that our girls go to. Our girls (K and 2nd grade) are in classes from technology to Spanish to drama to Mandarin Chinese to marine biology and on and on. Those classes just aren't offered in public school. Not only that, but (and I think GDS pointed this out) our kids coming out of pre-K and K have been reading at levels far advanced for their age. Our 2nd grader learned cursive (since that seems to be a recurring theme within this topic) this year.

As for middle school - our girls' private school only goes through 8th grade, but if they can get into the middle school where my wife teaches (a public, "fundamental" school) then we'll likely move them there. Same goes for high school. If they qualify and can get accepted into an IB program or one of the few great public high schools in the area then we'll likely do that.

This post was edited on 2/11 2:43 PM by EweSeaEff

Thank you fab and eweseaeff for the great info.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT