ADVERTISEMENT

How often do you eat at your dining table?

brahmanknight

Sep 5, 2007
Winter Park
Does anyone frequently use the dining table for it's intended purpose?

I may use mine once every other week.

Even growing up, I only used it for breakfast, perhaps once a week.

We have a separate dining room at the house and it only gets used for eating when we have company and we all don't fit at the kitchen table. So I would say my family averages using it once every two weeks for eating and 5-6 times for week for other stuff.

If it were up to me, I'd just get rid of it and make better use of the space like maybe a pool table or something. If I ever get another house, it will not have a dining room and therefore no dining table.

Reactions: EweSeaEff
We eat breakfast as a family in the breakfast nook (or whatever the hell it is called) and usually eat dinner there too when it is too hot outside. When the weather is nice, we eat out on the patio.

Dining room is reserved for when people come over. It's too much of a hassle with a 1- and 3-year old to move high chairs and all that stuff.

And we pray before every meal like good heel-clicking Catholics.

You should start now. Even when my kids were just one, we sat down as a family for dinner (whether the wife or I was there or not) and continue when possible to do that to this day. It's really important, IMO.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timi-gustafson/family-dinner_b_1898387.html
This. From the moment our kids were old enough to sit in a high chair we were sitting down for dinner at the table. When we lived in Orlando (7+ years ago) we would sit at the kitchen table. In our house here in Clearwater we don't have a kitchen table, so we sit in the dining room probably 4-5 nights a week.

And we pray before every meal like good heel-clicking Catholics.

Good boy, Joe. We do the same at my house but I call shenanigans on the "before every meal" part. You are probably too embarrassed to pray in a crowded restaurant for fear of ridicule and offending the heathen liberals with your God stuff.

Good boy, Joe. We do the same at my house but I call shenanigans on the "before every meal" part. You are probably too embarrassed to pray in a crowded restaurant for fear of ridicule and offending the heathen liberals with your God stuff.

No, we don't pray in restaurants--just at home. We're too busy trying to keep the kids quiet and well behaved when we are out. I couldn't care less what people think if we did, however.

Hopefully not by shoving an iPad or iPhone in their face.

It's always great trying to enjoy dinner somewhere only to have the sound of stupid kid games coming from the table over, since the kid is fixated on an iPad and the parents aren't giving a shit that his games are bugging everyone else around them.

Hell no. They can have one toy, but dinnertime is no TV or any other electronic devices for my kids.

We did the same thing. In fact, this past year I just started allowing the TV on while we eat dinner and my kids are 22 and 19. Dinner time is family time for enjoying each other's company and conversation, not staring at the boob tube. My kids tried to get away with their phones at the table but that lasted for about one text. Cell phones can be the freakin' bane.

It's always great trying to enjoy dinner somewhere only to have the sound of stupid kid games coming from the table over, since the kid is fixated on an iPad and the parents aren't giving a shit that his games are bugging everyone else around them.

I just think it's sad that they an iPad has more control over kids than most parents do.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks like this. I know that we've had this discussion on here before, but you're a bvllshit parent if you can't even muster control of your little shitheads at a restaurant. It's really not that freaking hard. Parenting is tough work and you have to set the tone and expectations very early on. Miss that opportunity and you're likely screwed. Our kids have NEVER, EVER acted up at a dinner table (let alone anywhere else) in a home or restaurant and we have NEVER, EVER had to put Spongebob or Dora or some painting app or Texas Hold 'Em on for them in order to achieve that. Be courteous to your fellow diners - you don't own the restaurant and no one else should have to see the flickering light or hear the obnoxious sounds.

Reactions: fabknight
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks like this. I know that we've had this discussion on here before, but you're a bvllshit parent if you can't even muster control of your little shitheads at a restaurant. It's really not that freaking hard. Parenting is tough work and you have to set the tone and expectations very early on. Miss that opportunity and you're likely screwed. Our kids have NEVER, EVER acted up at a dinner table (let alone anywhere else) in a home or restaurant and we have NEVER, EVER had to put Spongebob or Dora or some painting app or Texas Hold 'Em on for them in order to achieve that. Be courteous to your fellow diners - you don't own the restaurant and no one else should have to see the flickering light or hear the obnoxious sounds.

I wish I could like this 1000X.

You're probably younger than me and have a larger sample size but I have several friends with younger children and it's rare that they don't use electronic devices as a crutch. I don't say anything since it isn't my business but it drives me insane.

Team Fab here. We always sit down for dinner together. It's been that way since the kids were born. I made it a point to do that for the very reasons you mentioned. Even had a neighbor compliment me on doing that (nosy mf'er looking into my old house).

As for the tv, usually put on Pandora but an important sporting event usually bypasses the norm.

We always sat down for dinner together when I was a kid. Must be why I'm such a fine upstanding citizen. Liberals probably never ate together.

I waited tables to get through grad school and you would be absolutely shocked at how most people who have kids treat the dining experience. Very few have children who sit in their seats and behave. Most let their kids run around the table, crawl everywhere, and don't say a word. I even had one table with a bunch of brats let their kids walk around the restaurant. Another table got thoroughly pissed when one of the kids took some food off of their plate and ate it (I am not joking). And the parents of that kid started mouthing off to the people who complained to management about it, and basically told them how dare they act that way about a child. F that.

Reactions: 1ofTheseKnights
Five times a week for dinner. No phones, no TV just talking to kids about their day. Friday and Saturday are going out days.

You should start now. Even when my kids were just one, we sat down as a family for dinner (whether the wife or I was there or not) and continue when possible to do that to this day. It's really important, IMO.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timi-gustafson/family-dinner_b_1898387.html
We do eat as a family, but in the living room at the coffee table. Just easier for my 2 year old to sit in her tiny chair and eat, vs sitting in a regular chair at the dinner table. Once they are both big enough to fit at the regular table, we will switch over. ;)

Every other Saturday we have a jam at our house and eat at the table. I probably use it 2 or 3 x per week. Other than that it is for wife's quilling and other crafts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT