ADVERTISEMENT

Hudanick: Team, line becoming closer

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

Tyler Hudanick was thrown right into the action as a true freshman in 2015, starting in nine of the 10 games he played in.

Holding down the No. 1 left guard spot this spring, the Pennsylvania native has seen a big change since Scott Frost took over in December.

UCFSports.com caught up with him at a recent practice.

I know some of the coaches have indicated the offensive line was a little bit slow to get going when practice started, but you guys have really come along. Is that something you're seeing?

"We're definitely going in the right direction. Sometimes we get a little bumpy here and there. Today, I wouldn't want to say we started out slow but it wasn't where it needs to be. It got better throughout practice and then we hit some bumps. We need to finish strong and keep the same intensity all throughout practice."

The previous scrimmage you had was inside the indoor facility and people said the offense won that one. Did the defense win today?

"It was shaky. You'd probably have to give it to the defense because of the execution on the offensive side. They made more plays than we did. Everybody is still growing. It's still a learning experience for all of us. Effort is the biggest thing for us. Keep the effort up."

Obviously consistency is key in being a successful offense. Have you seen flashes and signs of how good it can be when everyone is on the same page?

"Everyone did see that in the first scrimmage. Even the defense was pretty excited about it. We went up and down the field, tempo was good, scoring tons of points. We have seen it work. We've definitely got to trust these coaches. We know it's going to work."

What's it like playing in this new style of offense? Different plays, faster tempo. Has it for a lineman? Do you like the change?

"I ran something similar in high school. A lot of the guys on the o-line did. We like it. Hurry up, get to the line. The tempo, you do have to be in better shape but you also have to be able to think while you're moving. It's a lot more simpler, get to the line and then figure it out from there. Getting set is the biggest thing."

Looking at the offense, who has had a good spring?

"Nobody has not done well. Everybody has good days and a bumpy day here and there. For the most part, I feel like the o-line is coming together. Slowly, but we're going in the right direction. Receivers are coming together a little bit too. Our quarterbacks are always on point."

What's the chemistry like on the offensive line?

"Last year we were a little bit young. Most of us are coming back so we've played with each other for a whole season. The chemistry throughout spring so far, even off the field, is just closer. Especially on the o-line. Even with other parts of the offense. Receivers. We're all just closer."

Didn't you play in the first game last year as a true freshman?

"I played in 10 out of 12 games as a true freshman."

Can you pull any positive experiences from last year?

"We all just learned a lot last year. The experiences will bring us closer. The experiences will help us go forward from here."

ekpsls9pcehx5yruv3xm

How are you enjoying UCF?

"Almost coming up on a year. It's been a great experience. I'm from up north, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. You don't see anything like this every day. I'm definitely enjoying. Great group of guys on the offense and the defense we get along with."

Did you always play football?

"I've played football since I was about six years old. It's been a journey since then."

Were you a big kid at six?

"Always big. Sometimes too big for those younger leagues. Couldn't make weight."

Was it always a goal of yours to earn a college scholarship?

"I had talks with my dad since I was this tall. 'Dad, I want to play in college. I want to play in the NFL.' Talks. I've always wanted to play."

Who were your favorite players or teams growing up?

"I'm from Pittsburgh. I love Pitt. Big Penn State fan. My mom's family all went to Penn State. That was probably my main goal in the beginning, try to get to Penn State. I came down here and loved it. That's where I am now and I still love it."

What do you like to do when you're not playing football?

"I just like to hang out. I'm easy going. Just kind of relax. Chill by the pool. Go fishing every once in a while. Kind of lay low."

Is there a leader on that offensive line?

"We're all kind of contributing. J-Rae has to be a leader because he has to make a lot of the calls. We all have to make calls, but J-Rae is the first one that has to get set and take care of the ball. From that standpoint, J-Rae would be a leader. We're all trying to be leaders here. Just make sure we all stay together. That was the biggest thing from last year going over to this year is keeping that chemistry."

Are you excited for all the changes and where this program can go? It seems the energy is a lot better.

"The energy, the attitude, just the mentality of this football team is just way different than the way it was. It's a lot better for all of us. All of us I think are in better moods when we come to this building and putting in work. I think it's definitely going to correlate to the field."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News