ADVERTISEMENT

Huggers, where are you?

I agree. Mc Dowell did us strong, as did GOL. Kruz was a good coach and gave us one great year, just was not enough of a disciplinarian.
GOL took a program in shambles and built it up solid, and it was solid in spite of the horrid year last year. Frost took over a well run program, has done very well so far, and hopefully with his youth and new style of football bring us to heights unseen. Time will tell the tale.
^ Very well stated!

One might make the argument that the coaches ran their programs far more consistently and far more effectively than way too many in our fanbase who cannot see past a season or even the off-season at times, let alone likes to marginalize or even re-write history (e.g., ranking of GoL recruiting classes and actual, on-field results). All performed far, far higher than the median for the same level of competition, conferences, etc..., and each had their own quirks, some deadly (e.g., Kruz and discipline).

Why does this sh-- always have to drop into "versus"?
Every coach has his role to play and most did us proud.
It's the Frost-era now ... let's leave everything else behind.

Because certain posters on this board have a blind dislike for GOL and feel the need to re-write everything so as to support their hatred of the guy and their positions. If you look back these arguments generally start like "GOL would never have been able to... or this would never have happened under GOL. Or in this case "Frost did something GOL could not do..." despite there being no rational thought behind what he says.

You will notice that none of these posts start off..."we were better off under GOL... or I wish GOL was still here..." In this particular post it is a serious troll effort just trying to run people the wrong way.

Reactions: UCFBS
Frost is doing some amazing things in his short time here. [cheers]
And who has disagreed? Especially given the circumstances.

But let's get real ... this magical recruiting class is still not a top 50, and still ranked under the last 2. Some of you guys said we'd be there with Florida and Florida State if we replaced GoL. Some of you will put the asterisk of being 0-12, but let's get real.

If Frost manages to pull a Top 10 recruiting class, like Florida and Florida State, in any of the next 3 years, as a G5 (assuming we stay as a G5), I'll eat my words. But for us realists, it's still "slim to none" to have even a top 25 recruiting class -- even if we got into (and won) an access bowl (just like Houston, not even top 40, who is in talent rich Texas, BTW) -- and impossible to get a top 10 recruiting class, as a G5. It's just the reality of being G5.

Everyone loved the Frost hire. In fact, it was fascinating to see a lot of the anti-GoL folk complaining about the class, while even us pro-GoL folk were saying, "we'll see." Frost has done us proud, and will continue to do so. But understand it's a lot of alleged GoL nuthuggers who are supporting Frost without feeling the need to kick him during the recruiting season (yes, you know who you are), and without feeling the need to kick GoL.

GoL did us proud as well, and pulled in 2 of the top classes Frost will be using in 2016-2018 too. Stop hating, and look forward. ;)

Reactions: GILL T
And who has disagreed? Especially given the circumstances.

But let's get real ... this magical recruiting class is still not a top 50, and still ranked under the last 2. Some of you guys said we'd be there with Florida and Florida State if we replaced GoL. Some of you will put the asterisk of being 0-12, but let's get real.

If Frost manages to pull a Top 10 recruiting class, like Florida and Florida State, in any of the next 3 years, as a G5 (assuming we stay as a G5), I'll eat my words. But for us realists, it's still "slim to none" to have even a top 25 recruiting class -- even if we got into (and won) an access bowl (just like Houston, not even top 40, who is in talent rich Texas, BTW) -- and impossible to get a top 10 recruiting class, as a G5. It's just the reality of being G5.

Everyone loved the Frost hire. In fact, it was fascinating to see a lot of the anti-GoL folk complaining about the class, while even us pro-GoL folk were saying, "we'll see." Frost has done us proud, and will continue to do so. But understand it's a lot of alleged GoL nuthuggers who are supporting Frost without feeling the need to kick him during the recruiting season (yes, you know who you are), and without feeling the need to kick GoL.

GoL did us proud as well, and pulled in 2 of the top classes Frost will be using in 2016-2018 too. Stop hating, and look forward. ;)

GOL killed momentum and morale. Frost builds momentum and morale. Nobody is expecting a top 10 class. Playing in the AAC, we can dominate with consistent top 40 classes.

GOL killed momentum and morale. Frost builds momentum and morale. Nobody is expecting a top 10 class. Playing in the AAC, we can dominate with consistent top 40 classes.
We'll see ... once we get a Top 40 class.

It took GOL 3 years to land a 4 star recruit. CSF landed two in a month.
And what conference were we in, or just coming out of, those first 2 years? Oh, that's right ... the MAC!
But once we got into C-USA ... did we start getting 4-stars? ;)

Case-in-point ...
- How many top 25 teams did the MAC or even C-USA have over those years?
- Now how many top 25 teams did the AAC have this past year?

Seriously guys ... time to let this go.
We're not being fair to anyone here.

I.e., we cannot be fair to Frost by pointing out GoL's successes as well as handicaps/limitations.
And we cannot be fair to GoL by pointing out Frost's successes as well as advantages/disadvantages.

Again ... just let it go ...

Top 40 class is tough. Talking a bunch of 4 stars not just 1 or 2.
Exactly my point. ;)

Now that said ... if Frost can pull out this type of class after an 0-12 season, give him an access bowl or two (let alone a win) ... a top 40 class is plausible. And that could mean we start to dominate G5 ... consistently. But we still will never have the constant top 25, let alone any chance at a Florida/Florida State-like top 10, that the anti-GoL haters have long stated we would.

The Frost hire was outstanding. The Frost first class was unbelievable, even if not top 50. But I fear what happens when the honeymoon "wears off" for some folk, that finally realize G5 is ... still ... G5.

The MAC and the American are both G5 conferences. Its a fair argument.
Oh you're kidding me, right?

I mean, AAC is already besting the Big East's BCS '05-12 history in its very first 3 years ('13-15). No comparison. No comparison whatsoever. Just look at those MAC and C-USA recruiting classes from other schools.

All this rivals class ranking stuff is really irrelevant. Frost needs to just win games with his system. You all realize that if Frost recruits a 170lb-175lb RB with blazing speed, an undersized athletic offensive lineman, etc., these players may only have 2-3 stars, but thrive in his system.
This kind of recruiting class could lead to a great record, ranking, access bowl, etc. but doesn't give UCF a top ranked class at all.

Reactions: UCFBS
All this rivals class ranking stuff is really irrelevant. Frost needs to just win games with his system. You all realize that if Frost recruits a 170lb-175lb RB with blazing speed, an undersized athletic offensive lineman, etc., these players may only have 2-3 stars, but thrive in his system.
This kind of recruiting class could lead to a great record, ranking, access bowl, etc. but doesn't give UCF a top ranked class at all.
And that may always be the case.

But if we believe the anti-(whomever was the last), the (new coach) can recruit in Florida like we are Florida, Florida State, etc... as a G5.

That we have backups and replacements like P5. That we can have 1st year starters that dominate P5 teams.

I really hope we get there someday. But it's rarely seen in the G5. So I'm a realist. I love Frost, but I fear the expectations some have for 2016.

As he said, it may take 1, 2 or 4 years, he doesn't know. I'll support him even if 2016 only has a few wins and 2017 is around 0.500. Hopefully we'll be better, but sometimes a new system takes time.

Especially one that has never, ever been exported before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT