ADVERTISEMENT

I have a question

Crazyhole

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 4, 2004
We are knee deep into fall practice right now, and being a husker fan I've been paying attention to what Frost and co have to say in their pressers, obviously. The single biggest theme that they all continue to stress is effort. That makes sense to me considering last year the huskers pretty much quit after about 20 minutes of most games. My question is whether or not that was the theme going into 2016 during UCFs coaching change when Frost took over, or if there was some other thing that was being stressed. And also, what is the theme this year for UCF coming from CJH? Is he focusing on proving the detractors wrong, on speed, on physicality, etc? Just curious how the transitions compare between teams and between coaches.

We are knee deep into fall practice right now, and being a husker fan I've been paying attention to what Frost and co have to say in their pressers, obviously. The single biggest theme that they all continue to stress is effort. That makes sense to me considering last year the huskers pretty much quit after about 20 minutes of most games. My question is whether or not that was the theme going into 2016 during UCFs coaching change when Frost took over, or if there was some other thing that was being stressed. And also, what is the theme this year for UCF coming from CJH? Is he focusing on proving the detractors wrong, on speed, on physicality, etc? Just curious how the transitions compare between teams and between coaches.
I can’t remember what they were stressing. I think effort. Weight room and on field. Eating right etc. All that really matters is how your QB plays. He will probably give an upperclassman the mod at first and if he falters go to his guys like he should. Year 1 is a throw away year. You’d like to make a bowl but year 2 and 3 is more important.

"Buy in" was big and "loving the game again" for the first season. Obviously, the weight program was big but UCF has been big on weight training for years since we don't recruit many 4/5-stars. Operating at the speed SF wanted was his year 2 emphasis.
Now in year three our guys are going even faster, have benefited from new weight training team and having 2 very good offensive minds teaching under them (SF and Heup). Expecting bigger things here. You should expect .500 season.

2016: coaching change themes. Oregon East. Hurry up spread offense that a lot of Florida High Schools run. Speed and everything fast. Allowed names on back of jerseys and music played at practice. 180 degree opposite than Coach O'leary. Turned it around with 6 wins but got smacked in the mouth by Arkansas State with bigger linemen. That was the wake up call going into 2017. Bigger stronger faster.

2017: UCFast. Speed. Recruited short and very quick players.

2018: UCFaster.

My observations between Scott Frost and Josh Heupel are that they are both very driven, workaholics, and very competitive. both from Coaching parents and both successful as college players. Heupel is better at Coachspeak. Whereas Frost was more off the cuff and seemed shy in front of the camera. I don't think he enjoyed doing radio shows and often yielded to assistant coaches. Heupel reminds me of a coworker. Just driving to work and get stuff done. Very intelligent and knows exactly what he is doing. Similar to Frost.

Looking forward to the future of both coaches. Exciting times!

What I remember most was Frost focusing on making the game fun again so the guys would remember why they played in the first place. A lot of that was never the focus of the Oleary era, but it especially isn't fun when you're losing every game and everyone in the program knows the hard-nosed disciplinarian coach is retiring. Rekindling that passion for the game and getting the guys to quickly buy in to a new atmosphere was huge.

Reactions: mattropolis
Your offense is going to suck. We were pro style and switched to Oregon’s. The body changes didn’t occur until year 2. The defense change from 4-3 to 3-4. We found new playmakers with the new system. It worked well because AAC teams throw the ball a lot. The players were hungry and ready to buy into the system. Frost is a cooler coach than GOL, they got new uniforms and changed how they worked out. UCF became cool. Frost was creating a new culture and identity for UCF football. Now he’s trying to revive an old culture. It’s not the same. He’ll need to figure out a way to make Nebraska cool, like Oregon and UCF.

What I remember most was Frost focusing on making the game fun again so the guys would remember why they played in the first place. A lot of that was never the focus of the Oleary era, but it especially isn't fun when you're losing every game and everyone in the program knows the hard-nosed disciplinarian coach is retiring. Rekindling that passion for the game and getting the guys to quickly buy in to a new atmosphere was huge.

This seems like a pretty similar theme to what he's doing in Lincoln, but is adding the history aspect to the equation.

So what was the prevailing sentiment about the team going into 2016? Did it seem like they gave up in 2015 and lost the joy of the game?

This seems like a pretty similar theme to what he's doing in Lincoln, but is adding the history aspect to the equation.

So what was the prevailing sentiment about the team going into 2016? Did it seem like they gave up in 2015 and lost the joy of the game?
Yes that’s what the rumors were.

Heuple's theme for UCF this year is to continue being the hunter. After a great season like UCF had, you can fall into the attitude of trying to defend yourself because you have the target on your back as everyone tries to take you down.

Heuple is trying to instill the attitude that you continue to go out aggressively as the hunter, taking other teams down.

Heuple's theme for UCF this year is to continue being the hunter. After a great season like UCF had, you can fall into the attitude of trying to defend yourself because you have the target on your back as everyone tries to take you down.

Heuple is trying to instill the attitude that you continue to go out aggressively as the hunter, taking other teams down.
Recommended Song/Video for team this season :)

Theme is the same as every year ...

images

Put on your armor and go watch cows with weird legs at sunset? I wouldnt think that would motivate college football players.
I don't think he's exactly 'watching' but more like going to 'slaughter' at sunset. ;)

I don't think he's exactly 'watching' but more like going to 'slaughter' at sunset. ;)
That cow is going to haunt my dreams. He doesn't even see the thermonuclear explosion in the background and there is no way he can outrun the shockwave with those legs.

Reactions: UCFBS
That cow is going to haunt my dreams. He doesn't even see the thermonuclear explosion in the background and there is no way he can outrun the shockwave with those legs.
We'll, there is that. The thermonuclear explosion of the Big East, with the Cows in its wake.

2015 started with the decision to extend O'Leary after the 2013 season. He wanted to retire but they threw 4 million dollars at him to stay two more years. Bad mistake. He could have left on a high note and we could have gotten a hot-commodity coach (and staff) to come right in and take over a squad that went 9-4 in 2014, with one loss being a last second FG to Penn State (literally 00:00 on the clock), where we started a new QB in that game and he was horrible, so we basically benched him at half (and he never played again), came out with the guy that was QB the rest of the year, didn't convert a 4th and 1, roughed their punter which led to them scoring a TD, and plenty of other miscues. We also lost to UConn that year in an away game that was like 40 degrees, raining, 20-25 mph winds, etc... yes, no excuses as it is a conference game but we were very close to being 10-2 or 11-1 going into Bowl season.

After the 2013 season programs like yours came and poached our positional staff, by just throwing money at them. Our DC left to be the head coach at Rhode Island, and although nobody was wowed by the guy, when he leaves along with a bunch of positional coaches you lose continuity.

After the 2014 season our OC retired, Charlie Taafe. Guy was special. He basically took whatever QB was put in front of him and made them successful. A shame in his tenure he only got one chance to have a QB start two seasons in a row. There were no 3/4/5-star kids put in front of him. Under this guy, we went 9-5 in 2009 using a Grad transfer from Wake Forest as our QB (he was a backup there) that showed up not long before the season started. in 2010 he took a true freshman QB, Geoff Godfrey, and we went 10-4. in 2011, Godfrey had a lot of family/personal issues and started splitting time with Blake Bortles (we went 5-7, losing 6 of 7 games by less than a TD). Godfrey actually left the program at the end of 2011 but came back the next season as a WR, after having to address the team and ask them if it was OK to rejoin (in essence re-commit himself to the team). A real testament to his character, especially knowing how humbling it must have been to have had so much success right away, then lose it. He was a solid option at WR for his last two years. 2012 and 2013 he finally had the same starting QB two years in a row (Blake Bortles) and we went 10-4 and 12-1. In 2014 he had yet another new QB to coach and we went 9-4.

Also after 2014, UF indirectly poached our DC. Well, he went to Colorado State but because UF paid Colorado State 8 million dollars to get Jim McElwain, Colorado State just threw a bunch of money at him (and other coaches) and he left. So after 2014 we lost our OC and DC.

This leads us to 2015. We had a coach everybody knew was retiring and no OC or DC. He couldn't hire anybody worth a damn because what guy wants to come in knowing a staff is going to be put in place a year later and you're likely to get sh_t-canned. As a result we got a DC that took the job because they had just been sh_t-canned from their previous job, and for OC promoted from within, which doesn't mean that is the best candidate available. It was a bad situation all-around and that is the long-form story of me explaining why we sucked in 2015.

The good news is our Atheltics Dept leadership and School President have built a solid foundation for athletics and thus the reason we were able to bounce back so quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: dali drama
2015 started with the decision to extend O'Leary after the 2013 season. He wanted to retire but they threw 4 million dollars at him to stay two more years. Bad mistake. He could have left on a high note and we could have gotten a hot-commodity coach (and staff) to come right in and take over a squad that went 9-4 in 2014, with one loss being a last second FG to Penn State (literally 00:00 on the clock), where we started a new QB in that game and he was horrible, so we basically benched him at half (and he never played again), came out with the guy that was QB the rest of the year, didn't convert a 4th and 1, roughed their punter which led to them scoring a TD, and plenty of other miscues. We also lost to UConn that year in an away game that was like 40 degrees, raining, 20-25 mph winds, etc... yes, no excuses as it is a conference game but we were very close to being 10-2 or 11-1 going into Bowl season.

After the 2013 season programs like yours came and poached our positional staff, by just throwing money at them. Our DC left to be the head coach at Rhode Island, and although nobody was wowed by the guy, when he leaves along with a bunch of positional coaches you lose continuity.

After the 2014 season our OC retired, Charlie Taafe. Guy was special. He basically took whatever QB was put in front of him and made them successful. A shame in his tenure he only got one chance to have a QB start two seasons in a row. There were no 3/4/5-star kids put in front of him. Under this guy, we went 9-5 in 2009 using a Grad transfer from Wake Forest as our QB (he was a backup there) that showed up not long before the season started. in 2010 he took a true freshman QB, Geoff Godfrey, and we went 10-4. in 2011, Godfrey had a lot of family/personal issues and started splitting time with Blake Bortles (we went 5-7, losing 6 of 7 games by less than a TD). Godfrey actually left the program at the end of 2011 but came back the next season as a WR, after having to address the team and ask them if it was OK to rejoin (in essence re-commit himself to the team). A real testament to his character, especially knowing how humbling it must have been to have had so much success right away, then lose it. He was a solid option at WR for his last two years. 2012 and 2013 he finally had the same starting QB two years in a row (Blake Bortles) and we went 10-4 and 12-1. In 2014 he had yet another new QB to coach and we went 9-4.

Also after 2014, UF indirectly poached our DC. Well, he went to Colorado State but because UF paid Colorado State 8 million dollars to get Jim McElwain, Colorado State just threw a bunch of money at him (and other coaches) and he left. So after 2014 we lost our OC and DC.

This leads us to 2015. We had a coach everybody knew was retiring and no OC or DC. He couldn't hire anybody worth a damn because what guy wants to come in knowing a staff is going to be put in place a year later and you're likely to get sh_t-canned. As a result we got a DC that took the job because they had just been sh_t-canned from their previous job, and for OC promoted from within, which doesn't mean that is the best candidate available. It was a bad situation all-around and that is the long-form story of me explaining why we sucked in 2015.

The good news is our Atheltics Dept leadership and School President have built a solid foundation for athletics and thus the reason we were able to bounce back so quickly.
Damn good write up.

Reactions: UCFBS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT