ADVERTISEMENT

I know Gus won't

hendu1976fl

Five-Star Recruit
Feb 23, 2011
Mikey Keene is not the runner he wants. JRP is clearly not the passer he wants. TC has elements of both. I know Gus is going to be loyal to the guy he brought in. But JRP is just not a passer. He is a great change of pace QB you can put in a couple of drives a game and the defense still has to play you somewhat honest. But on the last drive he could have run for the first down if he ran to his left (his god given ability), he could have checked down over the middle for what looked to me would have been good for a first down. but he went with the lower percentage pass. QB has to keep the chains moving, with his legs or his arm or his mind (audible, or feel for the moment-KZ). Also, is Ryan O'keefe okay? What is the status of his injury? He must be injured right? How did he not get his name called once in the second half? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had this game. The holding call on Swoboda was BS. I don't have replay on my TV, but as an OL I didn't see holding. The guy he was blocking slid right off his block unimpeded. Or at least it looked that way to me. So many defensive players slid right off his block the whole night, why not call holding on those plays as well.

To me a couple of things stood out tonight: 1. Our OL is crap. They can't block anybody. Go back to the SC State game, there were guys getting heat on JRP in that game. How can we compete with top 60 schools when we can't dominate on the OL against SC State, let alone Louisville or teams better than them. 2. Our D is really good, but will be wasted by an offense that will still struggle to score more than 20 points against a quality opponent. 3. JRP is an exceptional athlete, but at best an average QB- which means throwing the ball. Mikey Keane is probably the better passer between the two. I didn't see a deep ball that was close tonight other than the BS holding call. Every pass over 20 yards was way off target (maybe there was one or two on target, honestly I don't remember every throw right now, I am just pissed). But Mikey Keene isn't athletic enough to get the job done the way Gus needs it to get done. 4. Maybe give TC some looks. He is a gifted runner, not quite as good as JRP, but way better than Keene. IMO he is a better passer than JRP. I say that (here come the neigh sayers) after watching some film of him. He throws the ball on time and doesnt wait for the guy to be open. Honestly, if you put TC in and he has the kind of night JRP just had, maybe he can build off that, he has 4 years ahead of him. He is a threat with his arm and his legs. Right now, I feel JRP is a threat with his legs not his arm. Every team we play is going to send more than we can block on obvious passing downs because they know that if he has to do it 4 times on drive, he is going to miss on at least half of them. Which pisses me off even more because I really like JRP. If it was between him and Keene, I wanted him to win. I like both of them. But IMHO, TC probably gives us a better chance to win going forward. There will be times he makes a bust on a read, but it will pay off next year when it really matters, and every year after that with the possibility of an expanded college football playoff. Point #4 was really long. I will stand back now and let the rest of my UCF brothers pick me apart.

What we need to do is to get that "Transmogrifier" that Calvin had and throw both Keene and Plumlee in there together and then they'll merge together forming the ultimate quarterback the likes of which the universe has never seen!

Reactions: UCFhonors and PhDee
Mikey Keene is not the runner he wants. JRP is clearly not the passer he wants. TC has elements of both. I know Gus is going to be loyal to the guy he brought in. But JRP is just not a passer. He is a great change of pace QB you can put in a couple of drives a game and the defense still has to play you somewhat honest. But on the last drive he could have run for the first down if he ran to his left (his god given ability), he could have checked down over the middle for what looked to me would have been good for a first down. but he went with the lower percentage pass. QB has to keep the chains moving, with his legs or his arm or his mind (audible, or feel for the moment-KZ). Also, is Ryan O'keefe okay? What is the status of his injury? He must be injured right? How did he not get his name called once in the second half? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had this game. The holding call on Swoboda was BS. I don't have replay on my TV, but as an OL I didn't see holding. The guy he was blocking slid right off his block unimpeded. Or at least it looked that way to me. So many defensive players slid right off his block the whole night, why not call holding on those plays as well.

To me a couple of things stood out tonight: 1. Our OL is crap. They can't block anybody. Go back to the SC State game, there were guys getting heat on JRP in that game. How can we compete with top 60 schools when we can't dominate on the OL against SC State, let alone Louisville or teams better than them. 2. Our D is really good, but will be wasted by an offense that will still struggle to score more than 20 points against a quality opponent. 3. JRP is an exceptional athlete, but at best an average QB- which means throwing the ball. Mikey Keane is probably the better passer between the two. I didn't see a deep ball that was close tonight other than the BS holding call. Every pass over 20 yards was way off target (maybe there was one or two on target, honestly I don't remember every throw right now, I am just pissed). But Mikey Keene isn't athletic enough to get the job done the way Gus needs it to get done. 4. Maybe give TC some looks. He is a gifted runner, not quite as good as JRP, but way better than Keene. IMO he is a better passer than JRP. I say that (here come the neigh sayers) after watching some film of him. He throws the ball on time and doesnt wait for the guy to be open. Honestly, if you put TC in and he has the kind of night JRP just had, maybe he can build off that, he has 4 years ahead of him. He is a threat with his arm and his legs. Right now, I feel JRP is a threat with his legs not his arm. Every team we play is going to send more than we can block on obvious passing downs because they know that if he has to do it 4 times on drive, he is going to miss on at least half of them. Which pisses me off even more because I really like JRP. If it was between him and Keene, I wanted him to win. I like both of them. But IMHO, TC probably gives us a better chance to win going forward. There will be times he makes a bust on a read, but it will pay off next year when it really matters, and every year after that with the possibility of an expanded college football playoff. Point #4 was really long. I will stand back now and let the rest of my UCF brothers pick me apart.
100% agree. 1) JRP stares down receiver 1 and if he’s covered, instead of going through his progressions to receiver 2, 3 or 4, he runs. It’s quite obvious to every defensive coordinator. Stack the box and force him to run. SCS and FAU didn’t have the defensive athleticism to stop him but every other team we play moving forward does. 2). The play calling has to change. The predictable run on 1st down, trick play on 2nd down and either QB run or trying to draw the defense offsides on 3rd down isn’t going to work. Way too many “3rd and long” situations. We have great receivers, just have to find the one who’s open and let them make a play.

Reactions: Yaes and ReturnOf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT