ADVERTISEMENT

I want to understand the two point conversion.

Happy Hands

Golden Knight
Sep 18, 2009
I really do. Is there not an analytics person who works with Gus? There had to be an extremely low probability that the play would work. You had a toss to a RB that then had one passing option and absolutely no blockers in front of him. That was the design of the play. A poorly designed play that was slow to develop and needed to rely on the defense making multiple mistakes, like pop Warner level errors, in order for it to work.

How could a head coach think that such a bad play would work against a team like OU? Have we even completed an RB pass this year? Or even been close enough for Gus to think that play was a viable option? That play call alone should be enough to fire him. He is so so bad at this job.

Lol. This is who Malhazan is…he’s always done stuff like this. Dude consistently outsmarts himself.

I'm all for the trick plays if they work. They have not worked a single time this season, it's time to table them.
It’s not tricky if it’s your MO. I can only remember a few 2 pt conversions under malzahn in big spots. Vs navy last year to tie the game. Trick play. Vs Boise this year to try to go up 7 late. Trick play. Today with a chance to tie. Trick play. Everybody in the stadium knew a trick play was coming there. At least the Navy game where it worked, we had our QB rolling right to throw it.

I really do. Is there not an analytics person who works with Gus? There had to be an extremely low probability that the play would work. You had a toss to a RB that then had one passing option and absolutely no blockers in front of him. That was the design of the play. A poorly designed play that was slow to develop and needed to rely on the defense making multiple mistakes, like pop Warner level errors, in order for it to work.

How could a head coach think that such a bad play would work against a team like OU? Have we even completed an RB pass this year? Or even been close enough for Gus to think that play was a viable option? That play call alone should be enough to fire him. He is so so bad at this job.
did you like it against UF?

The play the Dolphins used where they run a receiver through backfield and fake handoff with RB pretending to block and gets the no look shovel pass would have been a better call. Or just quick slants or fades.

I know a lot of people will disagree--and I do not care!

I think UCF had the best chance to win given the way everything played out. Had the 2-point play been successful, the game would have been tied. UCF would have kicked the ball deep, and Dillion Gabriel would have had over a minute to drive down the field. ALL of y'all watched his last drive against Texas two weeks ago.

I think the probability of UCF recovering an onside kick and booting the game-winning field goal as time expired was higher than (a) keeping Gabriel and Chokelahoma out of the end zone or out of field goal range in regulation and/or winning in overtime against a gassed UCF defense that couldn't stop a nosebleed in the fourth quarter (aside from the two drives where Chokelahoma was running clock up 8 points and downing the ball to end the game.)

'IF' UCF had recovered the onside kick, JRP would have had the ball in his hands last, and Colton Boomer would have had a chance to win or lose the game on the final snap. That WAS the best-case senerio for a UCF win.

ANY other scenario makes Dillon Gabriel the hero and potentially gives him a Heisman moment, which he was DENIED against UCF.

I apologize in advance for making sense.

Last edited:
We're not talking about the after math though. The scope here is just the two point play call. There ain't no way that was the play the players were most confident running. Even Gus said they ran it back in fall camp. That tells me they haven't practiced it in a while.

We're not talking about the after math though. The scope here is just the two point play call. There ain't no way that was the play the players were most confident running. Even Gus said they ran it back in fall camp. That tells me they haven't practiced it in a while.
If Gus had made the perfect play call and if it had worked to perfection, UCF would have still had to play football afterward.

I think UCF had the best chance to win given the way everything played out. Had the 2-point play been successful, the game would have been tied. UCF would have kicked the ball deep, and Dillion Gabriel would have had over a minute to drive down the field. ALL of y'all watched his last drive against Texas two weeks ago.

I think the probability of UCF recovering an onside kick and booting the game-winning field goal as time expired was higher than (a) keeping Gabriel and Chokelahoma out of the end zone or out of field goal range in regulation and/or winning in overtime against a gassed UCF defense that couldn't stop a nosebleed in the fourth quarter (aside from the two drives where Chokelahoma was running clock up 8 points and downing the ball to end the game.)

'IF' UCF had recovered the onside kick, JRP would have had the ball in his hands last, and Colton Boomer would have had a chance to win or lose the game on the final snap. That WAS the best-case senerio for a UCF win.

ANY other scenario makes Dillon Gabriel the hero and potentially gives him a Heisman moment, which he was DENIED against UCF.

have you ever been told that you're an idiot? did your parents and teachers entertain every stupid thought that came to your head and told you it was valid? this defend gus at all costs is just sad at this point. so he called a 2 pt that was destined to fail because he wanted to be forced to take an onside kick to avoid giving oklahoma the ball? is this your way of admitting that the play call was so bad that even someone whose sole purpose in life is to gargle his balls has to come up with a theory about why gus was tanking by design, not stupidity. zero stars and may the lord have mercy on your soul.

have you ever been told that you're an idiot? did your parents and teachers entertain every stupid thought that came to your head and told you it was valid? this defend gus at all costs is just sad at this point. so he called a 2 pt that was destined to fail because he wanted to be forced to take an onside kick to avoid giving oklahoma the ball? is this your way of admitting that the play call was so bad that even someone whose sole purpose in life is to gargle his balls has to come up with a theory about why gus was tanking by design, not stupidity. zero stars and may the lord have mercy on your soul.
I really am starting to believe that AL1 is somehow related to Malzahn. There is no way someone could possibly be such an unwavering proponent for him.

I think UCF had the best chance to win given the way everything played out. Had the 2-point play been successful, the game would have been tied. UCF would have kicked the ball deep, and Dillion Gabriel would have had over a minute to drive down the field.
While I can appreciate the this-is-what-likely-would've-happened analysis, no coach is going to call a play he knows will be a disaster on purpose.

There's nothing stopping you from kicking the onside if you make the conversion, and in that case you can use the element of surprise, faking kicking deep.

Points is better than no points.

No. 1, I never said it was the right play call. I never addressed the 2-point play other than saying what would have happened had it been successful.

No. 2, Do you see any scenario where UCF (a) stops Gabriel and Choklahoma from scoring in regulation or (b) keeps Gabriel and Choklahoma from winning in overtime against a gassed UCF defense? If so, PLEASE POST. I want to hear you.

No. 3, I would have preferred the Statue-of-Liberty play because Harvey had the hot hand. I said that in an earlier post. But Xavier Townsend was playing well too.

No. 4, I am simply saying UCF had the best chance to win given how things played out. I said nothing of Gus's intentions. I stand behind that

No. 1, I never said it was the right play call. I never addressed the 2-point play other than saying what would have happened had it been successful.

No. 2, Do you see any scenario where UCF (a) stops Gabriel and Choklahoma from scoring in regulation or (b) fails to win in overtime against a gassed UCF defense? If so, PLEASE POST. I want to hear you.

No. 3, I would have preferred the Statue-of-Liberty play because Harvey had the hot hand. I said that in an earlier post. But Xavier Townsend was playing well too.

So you predicted UCF would have a historic collapse against Baylor? Cause football is easily predictable.

Also claim Malzahn auburn win is a genius when a hail Mary ball is thrown in double coverage, bounces from defenders hands into receiver for winning touchdown. But there is not a single chance Oklahoma doesn't drive down the field to score.

Last edited:
If you want to understand the 2 pt conversation….you won’t. You’ll be dead and still trying to find “undeerstanding”.

So you predicted UCF would have a historic collapse against Baylor? Cause football is easily predictable.

Also claim Malzahn auburn win is a genius when a hail Mary ball is thrown in double coverage, bounces from defenders hands into receiver for winning touchdown. But there is not a single chance Oklahoma doesn't drive down the field to score.
Venebles post-game had a great quote (I’m paraphrasing),” If you play football, you are always just a week away from humility.”

You need to be in an institution.

A fade to Corey Gammage in the corner wins it!!

Oh wait, Gus hasn't found a way to integrate a senior transfer with over 2,200 yards and 12 TD's into the team :rolleyes:
I don’t know how he recruits elite WRs or QBs. His passing offense is so outdated and rudimentary. I honestly wonder if he just tells the WRs, “ just go deep.”

I hate the call myself. Like, just run a football play for once. In that situation, a 'normal' play is basically a trick play for us at this point.

That said, if you run a play in practice in that same situation and it's working for you, I can understand why you bust it out in-game. There was a small window where Baker was open, Townsend just didn't pull the trigger. You absolutely have to throw the ball there. There's zero chance of a pass working if you hold onto it. Don't like the call, but it was working up until X didn't throw it.

I hate the call myself. Like, just run a football play for once. In that situation, a 'normal' play is basically a trick play for us at this point.

That said, if you run a play in practice in that same situation and it's working for you, I can understand why you bust it out in-game. There was a small window where Baker was open, Townsend just didn't pull the trigger. You absolutely have to throw the ball there. There's zero chance of a pass working if you hold onto it. Don't like the call, but it was working up until X didn't throw it.
At this point…That’s on coaching IMO.

He’s 0/4 with the 2pt plays. He’s also seen that Harvey held onto the ball with past rb pass trick plays.

At what point does he recognize that the players are not comfortable, proficient, or capable of successfully executing these types of plays? It appears obvious to everyone but Gus.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery

I feel like when they run trick plays in practice they set the defense up so the defense is at an extreme disadvantage against the trick play. Malzahn seemed a little mystified in the press conference that Oklahoma had players ready to defend.

At this point…That’s on coaching IMO.

He’s 0/4 with the 2pt plays. He’s also seen that Harvey held onto the ball with past rb pass trick plays.

At what point does he recognize that the players are not comfortable, proficient, or capable of successfully executing these types of plays? It appears obvious to everyone but Gus.
Hinshaw says he ran it in practices and it scored multiple times. X has been a reliable player for us overall I'd say. What you're telling me is, as a coach, if you're having success on the practice field, you're not going to show trust in your players to execute in the game. I don't agree with that.

Again, I hate the call, I think a one-dimensional JRP was capable of making a throw in this situation or even pushing Jordan downhill with a run. That said, based on Hinsahw's quotes I understand why it was called.

Imagine X at least throws the ball to the back of the endzone and gives Baker a shot. It's a small window but he's got to let the ball fly here.

pF1cztL.png

As much as I hate the call, it got Baker open and the opportunity was there. As the player who's executed this throw successfully in practice do you think X isn't going to see this film and see the same?

Hinshaw says he ran it in practices and it scored multiple times. X has been a reliable player for us overall I'd say. What you're telling me is, as a coach, if you're having success on the practice field, you're not going to show trust in your players to execute in the game. I don't agree with that.

Again, I hate the call, I think a one-dimensional JRP was capable of making a throw in this situation or even pushing Jordan downhill with a run. That said, based on Hinsahw's quotes I understand why it was called.

Imagine X at least throws the ball to the back of the endzone and gives Baker a shot. It's a small window but he's got to let the ball fly here.

pF1cztL.png

As much as I hate the call, it got Baker open and the opportunity was there. As the player who's executed this throw successfully in practice do you think X isn't going to see this film and see the same?
He probably didn’t see him open. Since, you know, he had to be looking back toward the QB to catch a pass at the time. A QB looking downfield might have seen him.

You are putting the ball in the hands of someone that normally doesn't throw in a high pressure, difficult environment. Practice can't replicate how he felt at that moment, he froze. You wouldn't put a non-kicker in to kick a 25 yard FG to tie the game in a difficult environment even if he can kick it in practice no problem.

Last edited:
I feel like when they run trick plays in practice they set the defense up so the defense is at an extreme disadvantage against the trick play. Malzahn seemed a little mystified in the press conference that Oklahoma had players ready to defend.
Lol I worked with a high school offensive coordinator who would actually do that. He drew up the defenses to be at a disadvantage against the plays he called. I asked him one day if he could do that on game day. He literally didn't understand what I was asking.

I don't think Gus does that. GAs usually watch cutups of red zone, short yardage, and 2 pt play defenses they see the opponent use and the coaching staff creates defenses based on the film.

Hindsight is 20/20, but the jet sweep to the short side of the field was there because (a) UCF had numbers and because (b) Chokelahoma was playing zone.

The 2 pt play as called was not there because the Sooners were bracketing Baker high low and because an extra defender was being donated to Xavier.

pF1cztL.png

that's open for a good QB. a RB throwing against his body? that probably ends up a wounded duck that's deflected by the DB. and if the ball hangs in the air too long #5 can drop back and do something.

pF1cztL.png

I'd add that this is a still frame; a fraction of a second of this entire play. When you watch this play in realtime, he literally needed to throw it the moment he had the ball in his hands. He is 100% concentrating on catching the ball 1st; then he needs to locate the WR; a defender is in his face almost immediately as he's gathering himself as a passer.

On top of that; the play is a mismatch presnap in favor of the defense. It's bad all around.

I'd add that this is a still frame; a fraction of a second of this entire play. When you watch this play in realtime, he literally needed to throw it the moment he had the ball in his hands. He is 100% concentrating on catching the ball 1st; then he needs to locate the WR; a defender is in his face almost immediately as he's gathering himself as a passer.

On top of that; the play is a mismatch presnap in favor of the defense. It's bad all around.

After watching this, I stand corrected. There was a second option late. The H-back has to block so that JRP can pass, but then slips into a route. Not that there was anytime for him to get open.

Why not have Timmy as the passer? If Gus wants to run trick plays, just put JRP and Timmy in every play so that teams have no idea who the QB will be pre snap. Have them shifting constantly. At least you wouldn’t have to rely on a RB to pas the ball.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT