ADVERTISEMENT

I wrote about the Navy game a little and talked about some of Milton's insane numbers

Money_Milton

Five-Star Recruit
Dec 15, 2017
http://power6analytics.com/mckenzie...my-x-factors-for-the-remainder-of-the-season/

Kind of an eh game, nothing really to talk about, although I thought the offense looked really good.

I talked about Milton's play action passing numbers and compared them to some NFL record numbers and Patrick Mahomes current season.

Why Snelson and Otis have kind of been hidden in the offense to date and their usage in the Navy game was promising going forward.

Hope to have My Cinci preview done by Weds.
-Only their offense again, wanted to get in defense, but had/have the busiest 2 weeks of work I've probably had all season which sucks.

Reading article in a bit.

Do you think Heup got too conservative when we were up again? I remember this was a tendency you found from his time at Mizzou.

Do you think Heup got too conservative when we were up again? I remember this was a tendency you found from his time at Mizzou.
Umm, it was really only that one drive with 8 mins left, but I'm not going to knock running the ball on 3rd and 2 when Navy had 6 in the box. Against the triple option, being up 18 in the 4th quarter is basically impossible to blow and with the most important games of the season coming up, just get out of there with no injuries against a team that cut blocks.

I would've liked to see them throw it at least once on those 3 plays just because Milton was playing so well and Navy's pass D isn't/wasn't good, but up 18 and playing 5/6 in the box you can't really knock running the ball.

However, against teams with better offenses (Cinci/USF/Houston), this would've concerned me a bit because those guys can score 3 td's in 8 mins.

Another great analysis! A few thoughts, how much difference is there in the effectiveness of an RPO pass and play action pass? Do you think that when KZ is healthy the RPO is more effective than play action? I suspect that play action is better suited for a vertical spread on the deep balls.

I made a very conscious effort to key on McCrae while he was in the game, and yes I agree, his patience is incredible, almost like Le'Veon Bell the way he waits for the play to develop before he accelerates....IMO this is extremely important when we run those counter plays, I think that AK is too quick and doesn't let the play develop.

Great points about Snelson and Juice going forward....I do think perhaps CJH strategizes on key game personal to keep the opposing defensive game planning at a disadvantage....

Reactions: LemmyKilmister

Heup wanted to get out without injuries and keep the defense off the field which is one of the reasons we ran the ball so much. Navy injured Ed Oliver and basically ruined Houston’s season.

Another great analysis! A few thoughts, how much difference is there in the effectiveness of an RPO pass and play action pass? Do you think that when KZ is healthy the RPO is more effective than play action? I suspect that play action is better suited for a vertical spread on the deep balls.

I made a very conscious effort to key on McCrae while he was in the game, and yes I agree, his patience is incredible, almost like Le'Veon Bell the way he waits for the play to develop before he accelerates....IMO this is extremely important when we run those counter plays, I think that AK is too quick and doesn't let the play develop.

Great points about Snelson and Juice going forward....I do think perhaps CJH strategizes on key game personal to keep the opposing defensive game planning at a disadvantage....
It's so hard to tell on a lot of plays from broadcast views which are actually RPO's and which are just play action unless it's obvious so I pretty much just mark everything as PA unless Milton keeps and is looking to throw. I think RPO passing would definitely be more effective because of Milton's slight of hand and just being able to sell the run longer is going to force LB's and safeties to come up more.

The aDOT on PA passes would definitely fit your suspicion of better fit for vertical passes, I also think it opens up the middle of the field a bit more like we saw with Snelson against Navy on those deep posts.

And yeah, watching McCrae run is awesome, Otis has some patience as well, but McCrae's is next level and id agree with you on the Bell comp there. You can even see James Conner now run like Bell after watching him for a couple of years.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Umm, it was really only that one drive with 8 mins left, but I'm not going to knock running the ball on 3rd and 2 when Navy had 6 in the box. Against the triple option, being up 18 in the 4th quarter is basically impossible to blow and with the most important games of the season coming up, just get out of there with no injuries against a team that cut blocks.

I would've liked to see them throw it at least once on those 3 plays just because Milton was playing so well and Navy's pass D isn't/wasn't good, but up 18 and playing 5/6 in the box you can't really knock running the ball.

However, against teams with better offenses (Cinci/USF/Houston), this would've concerned me a bit because those guys can score 3 td's in 8 mins.
That second to last drive where we ran up the middle three times, if you want to blame someone blame the Oline. They should have been able to get 10 yards on three runs.
And I’m amazed MM was 17/21 and his best receiver Colubiale was on the bench all game

That second to last drive where we ran up the middle three times, if you want to blame someone blame the Oline. They should have been able to get 10 yards on three runs.
And I’m amazed MM was 17/21 and his best receiver Colubiale was on the bench all game
A lot of people thought that Colubiale was hurt....he really didn't play much because we sold out for the run game and Hescock is the better blocking TE

http://power6analytics.com/mckenzie...my-x-factors-for-the-remainder-of-the-season/

Kind of an eh game, nothing really to talk about, although I thought the offense looked really good.

I talked about Milton's play action passing numbers and compared them to some NFL record numbers and Patrick Mahomes current season.

Why Snelson and Otis have kind of been hidden in the offense to date and their usage in the Navy game was promising going forward.

-Only their offense again, wanted to get in defense, but had/have the busiest 2 weeks of work I've probably had all season which sucks.

Between, Otis, Snelson and Marlon, we have another 3 starting receivers that could start anywhere in the country. Why/how heup has not been able to get these guys more involved is beyond me. I could not sleep unless I had plays for every playmaker on our team each week. We're into the season enough where he knows the capabilities of all of our guys to put something together. IMO, this is what Frost's offense did better than anything and that was getting the ball in more playmakers hands.

Thanks for the write up, MM. Always fun to see how the numbers compare to what (I thought) I saw.

It seems to me like Heupel has a much more methodical approach to closing out games than Frost. We can definitely argue about if it makes sense/ is more effective / is more fun to watch or not...but he definitely uses pace and ball control with purpose. Will be interesting to see how we close out the regular season!

Reactions: Money_Milton

I agree it was the smartest approach for this game but it still reminds me of that old concern.

Reactions: Money_Milton
Between, Otis, Snelson and Marlon, we have another 3 starting receivers that could start anywhere in the country. Why/how heup has not been able to get these guys more involved is beyond me. I could not sleep unless I had plays for every playmaker on our team each week. We're into the season enough where he knows the capabilities of all of our guys to put something together. IMO, this is what Frost's offense did better than anything and that was getting the ball in more playmakers hands.
UCF is 4th in the country in rushing and the top 3 all are triple option teams that run exclusively. I think Heupel sleeps well at night with the whole 9-0 thing going on. But of course fans know better.

Heup wanted to get out without injuries and keep the defense off the field which is one of the reasons we ran the ball so much. Navy injured Ed Oliver and basically ruined Houston’s season.
Did they do it on one of their cheap chop blocks? They should have been penalized for that chop block against us that resulted in a big run.

One thing not in your numbers is Milton is still adjusting to being more conservative about running the ball. The positive side is that he is preserving his body and trying to hang in there with the pass play. The negative side is that in big games we need the wheeler / dealer side of his play to win. Against Navy he played very well with the game plan he was given :) We'll need him to be conservative and yet know when to run. I know this must be tough on him knowing how in past performances (see Pitt game this year and Memphis) he willed us to win. When do you do this in games and other games trust other players to make the plays?

Reactions: Knight Strength
Snelson plays a ton this year I think he was like 61/71 snaps last game. Marlon i wish played more every time he gets on the field he’s productive for the most part and this goes back to last year too

Snelson plays a ton this year I think he was like 61/71 snaps last game. Marlon i wish played more every time he gets on the field he’s productive for the most part and this goes back to last year too

I'd like to see Marlon in the back field taking some direct snaps...allegedly we ran it during camp so it is probably deep down in the playbook.......

UCF is 4th in the country in rushing and the top 3 all are triple option teams that run exclusively. I think Heupel sleeps well at night with the whole 9-0 thing going on. But of course fans know better.

Rankings are all well and good and no one here is disputing that we are effective. The issue is we have unhappy studs and rightly so. I don’t see any reason we can’t have the same effectiveness and spreading the ball around more.

I'd like to see Marlon in the back field taking some direct snaps...allegedly we ran it during camp so it is probably deep down in the playbook.......
I vaguely recall we did a direct snap to
Him once early this year. Can’t think of the oppponent but I think it went for a loss.

You also got to remember, this is Huep's first season as HC. You gotta give him time to get comfortable himself, just like Frost did. I see a more wide open offense next season, just like we saw in year two of the Frost regime

IMO, this is what Frost's offense did better than anything and that was getting the ball in more playmakers hands.

Definitely, there is a difference in the variety of WRs being used. I even recall Cam Stewart and Bargnare getting real play time last season. And that's with Tre'quan and Akins on the field. But we added Nixon and 86 has been magnificent this year. We're just crazy deep. RBs have been tremendous in mixing up the talent.

I do like to see all this talent get some time so that they don't want to jump ship somewhere else, but as long as we win, I don't necessarily care who's on the field. And as long as we keep building this momentum, we won't have too much difficulty in finding more talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT