ADVERTISEMENT

If our AD isn’t in the phone with Scott Frost right now

I’m saying we will never be exceptional. 3-4 losses is the baseline. If you are fine with finishing 3rd to 6th every year and playing in 2nd to third tier bowl games, then this offense is for you.

If you are losing 3 to 4 games a year, then you are winning 9 to 10 wins per season (8 if you lose the bowl game every year.)

In the 20 years before Gus, UCF averaged 7.5 wins against 5.5 losses, going 150-110.

I would take an extra 2 or 3 wins per season.

Then “This Place” is doomed.

We have the silliest coach in all of college football.
Yeah lets dump the CEO, well respected coach who is recruiting well building a program, fundraising and hire the town drunk that left us and cratered at a program with every conceivable advantage so that we can do our best usf impression and try and go back in time. Maybe usf can re-hire Jim Leavitt at the same time.

Reactions: ucfcracker
If you are losing 3 to 4 games a year, then you are winning 9 to 10 wins per season (8 if you lose the bowl game every year.)

In the 20 years before Gus, UCF averaged 7.5 wins against 5.5 losses, going 150-110.

I would take an extra 2 or 3 wins per season.
If college football didn’t demand perfection, or something close, that would be fine. As it stands 3-4 losses puts a team out of contention for anything special. I hate it, but that’s how it currently goes.

If college football didn’t demand perfection, or something close, that would be fine. As it stands 3-4 losses puts a team out of contention for anything special. I hate it, but that’s how it currently goes.

No. 1 there are worse than 3-4 losses a year.

No. 2 Less than 3-4 losses a year is possible.

Last edited:
We did lose the trenches, but the offense didn’t need to be so stagnant. We had the advantage in the air.

I get that Gus made his name with the wildcat when he was at Arkansas, but that formation is dead now. Three legitimate options: jet sweep, counter and power through a gap on the right side. No real threat of pass, so defenses don’t really even cover receivers/QB anymore. Defenses aren’t fooled by this anymore. Outside of the three yard line, this formation is death. He has to move on or UCF will get what they got on Saturday.

The Scott Frost thing was hyperbole. The point is that we need a more imaginative coach or we will be stuck in the 3-4 loss range for years.
I see your point with Frost etc. We did score 31 on K-State at home. We're not outscoring people like when Frost was calling plays and Randy Shannon was our defense (in which defense with hippo too was giving up 700 ypg). Seems like last time we had a defense was Shaq brothers.

There is the possibility of having rollercoaster seasons if moving on from a coach that offers stability. However, you can also end up like Iowa where you just repeat every season until eventually the team just gradually gets worse.

I don't think Malzahn will ever be fired, but I also think there is a solid possibility that by the time his tenure ends the program will look for a revival like what happened with Scott Frost hiring, and odds of that repeating isn't high.

There is no flagship schools that should dominate the conference like SEC, ACC, B1G.
the great and powerful WOZ! :cool:

Bump. Because Gus….
Sorry, but what in the world would make you think our AD is even remotely like our last one? Our HC etc. will have a good 2-3 years of 'getting used to the new conference'. There's not 1 chance in a billion that he'll fire anyone unless they've had YEARS YEARS YEARS of mediocrity. (Yes probably most of my venom is realizing we've won our last game this year weeks ago.)

Sorry, but what in the world would make you think our AD is even remotely like our last one? Our HC etc. will have a good 2-3 years of 'getting used to the new conference'. There's not 1 chance in a billion that he'll fire anyone unless they've had YEARS YEARS YEARS of mediocrity. (Yes probably most of my venom is realizing we've won our last game this year weeks ago.)
So this is what USF fans feel like? No hope. Embarrassing games? It hurts. I don’t like it.

Apparently Coach Ed Orgeron was in attendance. You want to win at all costs, there's you the coach.

He lives in Phoenix, Arizona. I'm sure he'd be super-excited to come back to Orlando if your AD came calling. He's currently unemployed.
Dude left Lincoln, NE with $16 Million in buyout $$$ and to save his marriage, he had to move to Scottsdale and buy his wife a very nice $5.4 Million 7,500 sq ft home. House has five bedrooms and 5 ½ bathrooms also has views of Camelback Mountain, a media room, exercise room, massive closet in the primary suite and a butler’s pantry.

Odds are his wife will NEVER leave Scottsdale again...as that area/state are her home.

Dude left Lincoln, NE with $16 Million in buyout $$$ and to save his marriage, he had to move to Scottsdale and buy his wife a very nice $5.4 Million 7,500 sq ft home. House has five bedrooms and 5 ½ bathrooms also has views of Camelback Mountain, a media room, exercise room, massive closet in the primary suite and a butler’s pantry.

Odds are his wife will NEVER leave Scottsdale again...as that area/state are her home.
Pretty sure his wife was fond of Orlando

Pretty sure his wife was fond of Orlando
While she might have enjoyed Orlando (spend almost half of her time here pregnant), she is a Scottsdale girl (born and raised there) and went to college in Phoenix.

Heck...Scott & Ashley's 2nd date was a hiking trip around Camelback Mountain outside of Scottsdale...which is where they also got married.

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__brides__public__brides-services__production__2016__11__14__582a49f3e86107243de86550_blogs-aisle-say-05-Camelback-Mountain-Arizona-Wedding-Amy-and-Jordan-Photography-974db404f8ef4bce80f0427719d57634.jpg

Orlando is nice...but I think she prefers home.

I’m saying we will never be exceptional. 3-4 losses is the baseline. If you are fine with finishing 3rd to 6th every year and playing in 2nd to third tier bowl games, then this offense is for you.
What I'm saying is that I'm fine with a coach who can get us to around 20th in the country in recruiting which Gus is doing in 2024 and 2025. Until we give him a chance to incorporate those incoming recruit classes, attempting to move on from him is an asinine and premature idea.

What I'm saying is that I'm fine with a coach who can get us to around 20th in the country in recruiting which Gus is doing in 2024 and 2025. Until we give him a chance to incorporate those incoming recruit classes, attempting to move on from him is an asinine and premature idea.
He had constant top ten recruiting classes at Auburn and couldn’t do much with that. He is a great recruiter, but a poor game day coach. That’s been obvious for 10 years. He was never the smart hire.

Unless he makes fundamental changes in how he runs an offense, runs a defense and preps for a game, he willl be a 3-6 loss coach. That type of change isn’t likely to happen. Hoping it will is asinine.

He had constant top ten recruiting classes at Auburn and couldn’t do much with that. He is a great recruiter, but a poor game day coach. That’s been obvious for 10 years. He was never the smart hire.

Unless he makes fundamental changes in how he runs an offense, runs a defense and preps for a game, he willl be a 3-6 loss coach. That type of change isn’t likely to happen. Hoping it will is asinine.
Couldn't do much? He went to the natty twice in the SEC. I will take that. Especially in comparison to what Frost did as HC at the P5 level. Nebraska was a joke under him losing plenty of winnable games. How is that an upgrade, especially with how he turned off the community at his own alma mater.

Too many delay of game penalties. Those are all on Gus for waiting too long to change the call after seeing Kansas’ defense. Gus does this all the time. We could have easily had five more penalties as Timmy barely got the snap off on time.

It’s a speed, size, athleticism gap. Will get better with recruiting. Need a new S&C

Couldn't do much? He went to the natty twice in the SEC. I will take that. Especially in comparison to what Frost did as HC at the P5 level. Nebraska was a joke under him losing plenty of winnable games. How is that an upgrade, especially with how he turned off the community at his own alma mater.
once.

anyway those against frost are correct. he has the type of personality where he needs to be proving himself in order to be at his best. when he came to UCF there were questions about his play calling because he worked under Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich who called their own plays. When you treat him like a savior, like he's god's gift to your program you won't get his best. if UCF goes back begging for him, it will be a vacation for him.

Funny enough that's why I don't like SEC retreads, they think "Oh I've been in the big time SEC SEC SEC and you all should be honored that I lowered myself to come to your program."

once.

anyway those against frost are correct. he has the type of personality where he needs to be proving himself in order to be at his best. when he came to UCF there were questions about his play calling because he worked under Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich who called their own plays. When you treat him like a savior, like he's god's gift to your program you won't get his best. if UCF goes back begging for him, it will be a vacation for him.

Funny enough that's why I don't like SEC retreads, they think "Oh I've been in the big time SEC SEC SEC and you all should be honored that I lowered myself to come to your program."
Once as OC plus once as HC = 2. Otherwise, yes I completely agree with you.

Brock Huard during the Kansas blowout : ‘ I was there in 2017 they had some dudes on that defense’. He also gave a shout out the 2013-14 GOL team physicality

so they recruiting as a Group of 5 had more dogs that were developed than ‘Mr Recruiter’ Malzahn

This isnt on offensive coaches but defense giving up 400 yards rushing is ridiculous. Is it coaching, scheme, or personnel that is the issue with defense?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT