ADVERTISEMENT

If our AD isn’t in the phone with Scott Frost right now

This isnt on offensive coaches but defense giving up 400 yards rushing is ridiculous. Is it coaching, scheme, or personnel that is the issue with defense?
It appears all of the above. However, I do think Addison Williams can create a much better attack defense with the defensive talent we currently have. It seems his defense is far too predictable.

Couldn't do much? He went to the natty twice in the SEC. I will take that. Especially in comparison to what Frost did as HC at the P5 level. Nebraska was a joke under him losing plenty of winnable games. How is that an upgrade, especially with how he turned off the community at his own alma mater.
Once . He went once his first year with someone else’s recruits. His offense fell off dramatically after that. We are talking mid to bottom half of the FBS.

Once . He went once his first year with someone else’s recruits. His offense fell off dramatically after that. We are talking mid to bottom half of the FBS.
He may have been in the middle of the SEC in some years. But that is not the same as middle of FBS. During his tenure there he is one of the few, if any, to beat Alabama three times. In 2017 he beat both of the teams that were in the National Championship game.

I'm not arguing that he is great. But I also can't agree with the position that he has not proven himself to be a capable coach.

He may have been in the middle of the SEC in some years. But that is not the same as middle of FBS. During his tenure there he is one of the few, if any, to beat Alabama three times. In 2017 he beat both of the teams that were in the National Championship game.

I'm not arguing that he is great. But I also can't agree with the position that he has not proven himself to be a capable coach.
I meant his team’s offensive rankings. He is an offensive guy who devalues defense, yet his offenses are extraordinarily average.

He managed to beat Alabama and somehow that holds more value than winning conference championships.

He's kind of the coach version of being ranked 2nd in the polls mid season.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery

He may have been at one time a capable coach but he has not changed or adapted over the years and it is making him a less capable coach and is beginning to make him look like an incapable coach. He has not been looking that great of late.

Have to say don't care anymore, Bring Back Frost, as HC. I'll suffer under the completely dumb--s 4th and whatever on our 40 where we screw up and give the oppenent 7. He actually made players want to play, or maybe actually knew what football is. As much as I dispise him and the way he left.......... I want him back. But it will never happen with AD Mediocre.

Reactions: Yaes and UCFsbarro
Couldn't do much? He went to the natty twice in the SEC. I will take that. Especially in comparison to what Frost did as HC at the P5 level. Nebraska was a joke under him losing plenty of winnable games. How is that an upgrade, especially with how he turned off the community at his own alma mater.
My favorite phrase in this is "...losing plenty of winnable games." Welcome to UCF 2023.

Have to say don't care anymore, Bring Back Frost, as HC. I'll suffer under the completely dumb--s 4th and whatever on our 40 where we screw up and give the oppenent 7. He actually made players want to play, or maybe actually knew what football is. As much as I dispise him and the way he left.......... I want him back. But it will never happen with AD Mediocre.
Dude had one great season in 6 seasons as a head coach. The other five were losing seasons. It was a special group of players with the right coach. That ship sailed a long time ago.

Yes. And he could call a slant. Something Gus is incapable of doing.

Reactions: Yaes
Dude had one great season in 6 seasons as a head coach. The other five were losing seasons. It was a special group of players with the right coach. That ship sailed a long time ago.
and how many great seasons have we had since? Maybe we need to get the ship that actually had a great season, instead of settling on the ship we've actually beat AFTER the great season. Get it yet?

How often does bringing a former coach back actually work? More than likely you’re at risk of tarnishing his legacy here when you have to fire him. It’s pretty obvious that he caught lightning in a bottle with Milton and George’s upperclassmen. He tried to replicate it at a P5 school with Nebraska and obviously it didn’t work. Time to find the next hungry up and coming offensive mind like Frost once was.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
and how many great seasons have we had since? Maybe we need to get the ship that actually had a great season, instead of settling on the ship we've actually beat AFTER the great season. Get it yet?
No.

Just like I don't pick the same fantasy team that I had 7 seasons ago, I pick for this year and the future. The teams have changed, players have changed, coaching has changed, rules have changed, etc... That old ship has been shuttered to the bottom of the sea and is never coming back. The ship is now different, the captain is different, the crew is different, the training staff is different, the nutrition person is different, the medical people are different, etc...

We (the team...not us fans) have to find an identity, and build on it to success, just like any organization you've ever worked for or dealt with. Obviously that is not happening this season but I don't think we need to throw our program in the garbage and start over. As fast as you decline in today's college football, you can rebound. Success in football is built on people, dedication and hard work. You have to find the right people and foster their success. If that doesn't happen after a while, you try something different. College football is not business-as-usual with NIL and roster turnover.

No.

Just like I don't pick the same fantasy team that I had 7 seasons ago, I pick for this year and the future. The teams have changed, players have changed, coaching has changed, rules have changed, etc... That old ship has been shuttered to the bottom of the sea and is never coming back. The ship is now different, the captain is different, the crew is different, the training staff is different, the nutrition person is different, the medical people are different, etc...

We (the team...not us fans) have to find an identity, and build on it to success, just like any organization you've ever worked for or dealt with. Obviously that is not happening this season but I don't think we need to throw our program in the garbage and start over. As fast as you decline in today's college football, you can rebound. Success in football is built on people, dedication and hard work. You have to find the right people and foster their success. If that doesn't happen after a while, you try something different. College football is not business-as-usual with NIL and roster turnover.
Wonderful concept but Gus hasn't given any indication that he will get the right people and foster their success nor does he give any indication that he will change his offense to adapt to the changing times you mention. He certainly does not seem willing to suit his offense to the people he has or is able to recruit. I doubt losing seasons and a propensity for inept play calling will be good for recruitment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guinness_Knight
Wonderful concept but Gus hasn't given any indication that he will get the right people and foster their success nor does he give any indication that he will change his offense to adapt to the changing times you mention. He certainlydoes seem willing to suit his offense to the people he has or is able to recruit. I doubt losing seasons and a propensity for inept play calling will be good for recruitment.
100% this 👆.

I’ll add that his “hiring” an OC after last season and not giving him the keys just to pander is a huge slap in the face to UCF fans.

Our AD absolutely needs to let Gus know that Gus is the HC and face of the program, but he will not be calling plays moving forward. This year’s OC debacle is very troubling. Tells me that Gus thinks he can do whatever he wants, even lie, and not be held accountable. So far, I don’t see Gus changing at all because our AD doesn’t seem to have a spine to confront Gus.

100% this 👆.

I’ll add that his “hiring” an OC after last season and not giving him the keys just to pander is a huge slap in the face to UCF fans.

Our AD absolutely needs to let Gus know that Gus is the HC and face of the program, but he will not be calling plays moving forward. This year’s OC debacle is very troubling. Tells me that Gus thinks he can do whatever he wants, even lie, and not be held accountable. So far, I don’t see Gus changing at all because our AD doesn’t seem to have a spine to confront Gus.
Does anyone (media, shade holder, etc) have the guts to confront Terry w some tough questions?

Does Cartwright care about being a successful football school like Hitt?

Does anyone (media, shade holder, etc) have the guts to confront Terry w some tough questions?

That’s a good question. Miami was mired for years by a President who did not see athletics as a priority. And they paid dearly for that. Like TM, Cartwright essentially inherited an athletics department with a successful foundation built by those who came before him. Some University Presidents don’t perceive Athletics to be paramount for the University’s trajectory.

I’m not sure if that’s Cartwright’s perspective or not. During our hiring process, I stressed at every opportunity that the incoming President needed a strong appreciation of the direct relationship between the University’s overall success and its athletics identity, particularly with men’s basketball and football. I really hope that Cartwright understands our athletics reputation will drive UCF a lot further than our academic reputation for a very long time.

Last edited:
Hitt knew how important the Football Program was to put the University on the map inside the State of Florida and Nationally. That and being ahead of the curve with amenities On Campus

Reactions: Guinness_Knight

Don't know about anyone having the guts to confront AD but Cartwright could really care less about football.

You guys have to stop sucking on Frost's hog already. Guy is NOT coming back here... lol... Denial, river, etc...

How often does bringing a former coach back actually work? More than likely you’re at risk of tarnishing his legacy here when you have to fire him. It’s pretty obvious that he caught lightning in a bottle with Milton and George’s upperclassmen. He tried to replicate it at a P5 school with Nebraska and obviously it didn’t work. Time to find the next hungry up and coming offensive mind like Frost once was.
Mack Brown. We should bring back Frost and Gene Chizik.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT