ADVERTISEMENT

I'm on the fence about Johnny Dawkins and here's a few reasons why:

Our recruiting this year will be at least mid Big 12 which is good considering NIL money. We were close to having 20 wins with losses to the newbies being our biggest downfall but those losses were not coaching but foul shot mishaps We have to do better on the foul line. Our defense is top notch but we need to get a finisher maybe we get one from our recruiting or the kid from Memphis comes through. The team exceeded anyone’s reality expectations and could’ve blown the door off with a few more wins which were right on the doorstep. I was proud of them this year.

The problem with recruiting with a one year left contract is the one year. Having first hand knowledge of recruiting at a high level school the lack of a multiple years is a problem. We exceeded expectations. I would extend him with conditions

As an alum who played I’m proud of the first year knowing the hurdles they faced

Charge on !!
Summary of post...

He has a few guys still in NBA that played for him. Hendricks and the Lopez twins. Probably a couple more from Stanford. Hoping we don’t extend him but I think we’ll be better next year. Has to swing for fences on portal.
The Lopez twins never played for Dawkins, they left the season before he got there.

Dwight Powell is the most prominent NBA guy that played for Stanford while Dawkins was there.

The team exceeded anyone’s reality expectations and could’ve blown the door off with a few more wins which were right on the doorstep. I was proud of them this year.

The problem with recruiting with a one year left contract is the one year.
In this transfer portal era, recruiting is still 'doable.' Additional one-year pieces can be added if the NIL is there to support them.

For the most part, transfers are 1 year rentals or just pick the school they will definitely play the next year no matter what. Him only having 1 year left won’t matter for transfers. High school is a different animal. He probably won’t get anyone good when in limbo. He has to win next year or gone.
good point. I think they'll give him a year or two (and increase the NIL). 2 years tops.

Reactions: connerito
Give him another year to put up or retire.....and please don't say that he won't be able to fill up the roster because he's lost most of his best players to transfer every year for the past few years and still fielded a .500 team. In fact, he was close to producing better results this year. If this team can take the next step and show some progress, extend him...if not, replace him.
1 to 2 years tops. I spoke with Terry. He pointed out what the other teams are paying the players. We have to come up with the CASH for NIL! :cool:

giphy.gif

I am OK with it, as I assume there are conditions n a minimized buyout. The basketball team overachieved last year and you need to put him on a multi year deal as a one year deal would affect recruiting greatly. In addition, there is nobody out there that really lights me up as an upgrade.

Reactions: U C to the F
he is an awful athletic director
Let's see what the terms are. While Terry's kicking the can down the road, he's also putting his future on the line. The UCF Pres has to sit Terry's butt down and let him know that his job is now under a microscope. In a couple of years, if either Malzahn or Dawkins fail to get better results, a replacement and buyout will be needed and goodbye Terry.

Well, he held practices (check) and showed up for games (check). Maybe he just needed more time to get his guys in his system. He will figure things out and turn things around in Year 9.

From a distance, he kind of looks like Stephen A. Smith in his younger photos and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in his older pics. That has to count for something.

Johnny_Dawkins_in_2010.jpg

1137668706.jpg.0.jpg

Upgrade options tend to dwindle when you’re negotiating against yourself at a snails pace for a Coach that no other P4 Program wants

Let's see what the terms are. While Terry's kicking the can down the road, he's also putting his future on the line. The UCF Pres has to sit Terry's butt down and let him know that his job is now under a microscope. In a couple of years, if either Malzahn or Dawkins fail to get better results, a replacement and buyout will be needed and goodbye Terry.
They kept a coach whos team overachieved gave him a minimum extension (probably) over another coach, outside of Dusty May no one is real exciting. I don’t have a problem but as u said we need to see the details. Minimum adjustments to the current deal I’m ok. Of course a 5 year extension I have questions. His team was on the brink of 20 wins and they competed in every game except the initial Big 12 game. I’m actually excited for next year Their initial year they competed and was fun.

I am OK with it, as I assume there are conditions n a minimized buyout. The basketball team overachieved last year and you need to put him on a multi year deal as a one year deal would affect recruiting greatly. In addition, there is nobody out there that really lights me up as an upgrade.
When we do switch coaches it has to be to a guy that had great success at a lower tier school as HC. Will need Gus real good players to come with him. Like the Utah St coach that brought 2 real good guys with him. Not like our women’s coach who no one liked enough to play for her.

They kept a coach whos team overachieved gave him a minimum extension (probably) over another coach, outside of Dusty May no one is real exciting. I don’t have a problem but as u said we need to see the details. Minimum adjustments to the current deal I’m ok. Of course a 5 year extension I have questions. His team was on the brink of 20 wins and they competed in every game except the initial Big 12 game. I’m actually excited for next year Their initial year they competed and was fun.
With a non conference schedule that ranks 260th, fighting for an above. 500 season shouldn't be that hard.

Giving an extension post 3 game losing streak to USF is consistent with timing of annoucing Malzahn's extension.

If Malzahn loses to USF in a bowl game he might become UCF first 8 figure coach.

I think there are several viable candidates out there.. Would look at Josh Schertz or Will Wade (even with the LSU baggage)

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
Tv
I agree...
Isn't it possible that he actually is learning to be a better coach? Or, is coaching immune to the experience factor?

With a non conference schedule that ranks 260th, fighting for an above. 500 season shouldn't be that hard.

Giving an extension post 3 game losing streak to USF is consistent with timing of annoucing Malzahn's extension.

If Malzahn loses to USF in a bowl game he might become UCF first 8 figure coach.
In evaluating him I throw out the OOC schedule ( although this year I think it was used to gain confidence and continuity with the new players) but in the Big 12 they competed with everyone and beat Kansas who was at full strength. They could’ve easily surpassed a wining record with some breaks. No one REALISTIC imagined that. He now knows the landscape let’s see how it plays out. A lot better then overpaying a new coach for the sake of getting a new coach without recognizing last year accomplishments and looking ahead JMO

I'm of the opinion that we need consistency in coaching for the first 2-3 years of a transition. We were projected to be in last place. I bought into the negativity that we would be lucky if we won 2-3 conference games against the bottom of the conference. However, we showed that we can compete.

I think we need just a little more time to tell whether he stays or goes. For now, I believe he defied expectations and got us into post season play. I think he is a keeper for at least one more year if his contract is expected to end next year. I would suggest that he would need to meet specific objectives to remain. First, he needs to get a really good new team and second, he needs to win more conference games.

We should be in for a full share of the Big12 monies shortly. We just need another season or two before we can do the Scrooge McDuck and start swimming in Big12 TV money.

Johnny's like a 60-year-old Pinot Noir; he only gets better with age. Cannot wait to see how much he learns and grows as a head coach in his 18th year of leading a program!
He has coached 251 games at UCF, with a couple highlight games and an avalanche of lowlights. However, as long they keep pumping the highlights he can continue to lower his career (Stanford/UCF) conference record of .479 (138-150).

As long as the expectation is not to finish last in the conference and not to worry about losing to Stetson and USF at home, he will be just fine.

Coach Dawkins beat 3 top 25 teams in one year. No other UCF basketball coach can claim that. Right?

Coach Calipari is staying at Kentucky anyways.

A coach with one year left is a lame duck coach. He won’t be able to attract recruits or transfers to the program.

At this point, UCF has two options: extend or fire.

..... in the ERA of the transfer portal that may not be as critical anymore .... if the coach does not get extended, you just transfer ...

Coach Dawkins beat 3 top 25 teams in one year. No other UCF basketball coach can claim that. Right?

Coach Calipari is staying at Kentucky anyways.
They played 12 ranked teams this year. Previous coaches probably didn't play against 12 ranked teams over the span of their entire career at UCF.

Vanderbilt football has multiple top 25 wins over the past several years, is that because they are a good football program or because half their schedule is against top 25 teams.

They played 12 ranked teams this year. Previous coaches probably didn't play against 12 ranked teams over the span of their entire career at UCF.

Vanderbilt football has multiple top 25 wins over the past several years, is that because they are a good football program or because half their schedule is against top 25 teams.
I should have made my sarcasm more obvious.

Last edited:
"continue to lower his career (Stanford..)"

Speaking of Stanford, they just fired their coach that replaced JD. Never made it to any tourny.

"Haase was fired after he finished his eighth season at the school without a single NCAA Tournament appearance."

"continue to lower his career (Stanford..)"

Speaking of Stanford, they just fired their coach that replaced JD. Never made it to any tourny.

"Haase was fired after he finished his eighth season at the school without a single NCAA Tournament appearance."
Dawkins broke Stanford. Prior to Dawkins hiring 13 NCAA tournament appearances in 14 years, the one year they missed they went to NIT. Since Dawkins touched that program, 1 NCAA tournament appearance in 15 years. Program destroyed.

Dawkins broke Stanford. Prior to Dawkins hiring 13 NCAA tournament appearances in 14 years, the one year they missed they went to NIT. Since Dawkins touched that program, 1 NCAA tournament appearance in 15 years. Program destroyed.
Stanford had one really good coaching tenure under Mike Montgomery. Even Tom Davis, who had a great coaching career struggled there. You really gotta get the right type of player there and be able to navigate around the academics. With AAU and NIL n the new brand of basketball, Stanfords ceiling will only go so high now.

But Stanford is also a place that has very rich alumni. Silicone Valley?!? Much richer than the Orlando area. I don't know how to look up who/what/which school has the most NIL money (maybe a job for lobocane since he knows everything). Also, Stanford has one of the most beautiful college campus in the world along with a very prestiges/historical school. At one time it seems they were getting preferential treatment like Notre Dame does. It's a 'Blue Blood' program.

They picked up Wash-State coach. Lets see if he can make it work there.

Now they are joining the ACC...Gotta play against the Clemsons/FSU/Miamis/NorthCarolina/Dukes/Etc of the world. Yes, gonna be a tough job for Stanford. Flying so much for conference games and such. Then, having to play/fight against Southern Rednecks (joking here, get over it).

Nothing says more ATLANTIC COAST conference than STANFORD...

LOL...

Back on topic though, Go Johnny Dawkins! Go Knights!!!

Reactions: Poolside Knight
But Stanford is also a place that has very rich alumni. Silicone Valley?!? Much richer than the Orlando area. I don't know how to look up who/what/which school has the most NIL money (maybe a job for lobocane since he knows everything). Also, Stanford has one of the most beautiful college campus in the world along with a very prestiges/historical school. At one time it seems they were getting preferential treatment like Notre Dame does. It's a 'Blue Blood' program.

They picked up Wash-State coach. Lets see if he can make it work there.

Now they are joining the ACC...Gotta play against the Clemsons/FSU/Miamis/NorthCarolina/Dukes/Etc of the world. Yes, gonna be a tough job for Stanford. Flying so much for conference games and such. Then, having to play/fight against Southern Rednecks (joking here, get over it).

Nothing says more ATLANTIC COAST conference than STANFORD...

LOL...

Back on topic though, Go Johnny Dawkins! Go Knights!!!
I understand what you’re saying. But it’s all about priorities. The Ivies probably have the most money n their athletics are below mediocrity. Half those people in Silicon Valley don’t know what a basketball or football is. But I get you.

Charge on !!

Stanford doesn’t give coaches much leeway in getting kids admitted. You have to score well to get in no matter what. Cuts the player pool by 80%. Of the 20% left, not many want to go to Stanford for various reasons.

Stanford doesn’t give coaches much leeway in getting kids admitted. You have to score well to get in no matter what. Cuts the player pool by 80%. Of the 20% left, not many want to go to Stanford for various reasons.
Got a close relative who coached there n I can confirm. Also recruiting is nationwide and selective which puts a strain on it (alot of cross country traveling ) Montgomery got it going but most have not Also housing for coaches is a big issue. Expensive !!

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT