ADVERTISEMENT

I'm on the fence about Johnny Dawkins and here's a few reasons why:

I only wanted Dawkins to stay because of Greene. He can be let go now. No reason to keep him. His recruiting is not good. I thought it was getting better and he loses the only good one. He told the 4 star he may not play a lot because of the guys ahead of him. Either he shouldn’t be a 4 star or Dawkins is dumb. The team doesn’t make tourney and a 4 star might not play much?

I only wanted Dawkins to stay because of Greene. He can be let go now. No reason to keep him. His recruiting is not good. I thought it was getting better and he loses the only good one. He told the 4 star he may not play a lot because of the guys ahead of him. Either he shouldn’t be a 4 star or Dawkins is dumb. The team doesn’t make tourney and a 4 star might not play much?
I can only assume that the transfer who is coming in from Memphis has developed positively for Ucf. Plus, Johnson comes back. Who knows

He has been at UCF 7 years too. sometimes change is good and what is the risk? We are already 11th in the league ..seeing people bring up 1 recruit when he has mostly relied on patching up the roster w transfers after the Donnie recruits cycled out of the Program . You don’t make decisions based on recruits that could flip to Houston a week before signing day
UCF media is looking increasingly stupid for cheerleading Dawkins. Highlight recruiting as a reason to keep a coach(dumb and short sided) yet lose your best recruit anyway after news breaks of his extension

Reactions: ucffan642
UCF media is looking increasingly stupid for cheerleading Dawkins. Highlight recruiting as a reason to keep a coach(dumb and short sided) yet lose your best recruit anyway after news breaks of his extension
He had his team ranked #2 mid season, I mean he beat Kansas in January.

They will just run with that headline, like Hendricks being drafted. Neither of which actually resulted in wins at the end of the season when it actually matters.

On the flipside NC state didn't beat a single ranked team all season, then delivers come tournament time.

I was very impressed by our team this season. Other than a game or two, we were in every game. We had some lapses at the end of games that cost us a few quality wins. Losing to USF was tough but one game does not define how hard this team played. Plus, we've left USF in the dust overall, which warms my heart. Great defense and gritty. Just needed to control turnovers a little more and make a few more 3's. Outside shooting was a bit of an issue as well as free throw shooting at times.

I'm glad we gave Johnny an extension. From what I can tell, he is a quality individual and obviously committed to UCF. With the new wild west, which is college athletics, I think Johnny connects better with older players. I think most teams are going to reload annually via the portal and high school recruiting is going to be less important. Don't get me wrong, recruiting good HS player is a priority, but they could leave a year in. I think Johnny is going to do better with the transfer portal and we're going to be pleasantly surprised. I like the fact that our guys stay out of trouble and seem to focus on school.

We are behind the curve when it comes to NIL. Given the challenges, we are still improving. I don't think Johnny gets enough credit for getting the most out of players given how we stack up against big time programs and the advantages they have.

Dawkins finished 11th place out of 14 teams in a bad conference…loses his third third straight to G5 USF (booted out right away from the NIT) BUT gets rewarded with a contract extension.

LMAO. UCF fans flexing after every big 12 baskeball loss like they are doing something. Never change.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I can only assume that the transfer who is coming in from Memphis has developed positively for Ucf. Plus, Johnson comes back. Who knows
Darius is very streaky. When he’s hot everything goes in. When not it looks like he just tosses in air and hopes it goes in. If Dawkins doesn’t get big splashes in portal he played cards wrong. You don’t tell a 4 star he might not play much because guys that are returning are too good. Guys that didn’t win much are too good. That’s not a good strategy.

Darius is very streaky. When he’s hot everything goes in. When not it looks like he just tosses in air and hopes it goes in. If Dawkins doesn’t get big splashes in portal he played cards wrong. You don’t tell a 4 star he might not play much because guys that are returning are too good. Guys that didn’t win much are too good. That’s not a good strategy.
Fair enough. On the other side if we get Mikey minutes may be a problem n u have to be honest with a kid who said he was coming because of early minutes. The locker room doesn’t need a malcontent in it too But until the final roster is in place we don’t know. Also don’t know how Norris played in the recruitment Still feel good

Charge on.

Just for clarification, because you’ve stated what I bolded above twice now on this thread…

You are just assuming this, correct? You didn’t read anywhere that Dawkins actually told him that, right?

Because it could have been for any reason really, we don’t know. I don’t love releasing kids from letters of intent like we have been doing, that’s for sure. We will see what’s going on behind the scenes as the off-season plays out I guess.

My theory is that NIL money is lacking once again (after you take care of Johnson/Sellers/M. Williams, how much is left?), and another school came in with a larger offer.

Just for clarification, because you’ve stated what I bolded above twice now on this thread…

You are just assuming this, correct? You didn’t read anywhere that Dawkins actually told him that, right?

Because it could have been for any reason really, we don’t know. I don’t love releasing kids from letters of intent like we have been doing, that’s for sure. We will see what’s going on behind the scenes as the off-season plays out I guess.

My theory is that NIL money is lacking once again (after you take care of Johnson/Sellers/M. Williams, how much is left?), and another school came in with a larger offer.
That’s the reason he gave to people that asked. He is probably going to go to a higher profile team. If he’s going to come off bench at best, he’d rather go to a team with a track record of making tourney than a Dawkins lead UCF.

Dawkins finished 11th place out of 14 teams in a bad conference…loses his third third straight to G5 USF (booted out right away from the NIT) BUT gets rewarded with a contract extension.

LMAO. UCF fans flexing after every big 12 baskeball loss like they are doing something. Never change.
8 out of 14 Big 12 teams made the NCAA tournament,…tied for the most teams from any conference…..and you say the Big XII is “a bad conference”….smh…..sorry, but it’s difficult to take any of your posts seriously….😊

Stanford has a 37 billion endowment ( 3 largest in the USA) , there are only a few Ivy League caliber schools in D1, Northwestern, Rice, Duke ... you can include a few more on the margins e.g. Vandy, Tulane etc. ... any HS kid that excels academically and has D1 athletic ability , but not really a prospect to go onto to a pro career would be crazy to pass on the opportunity to go to one of these schools because of the prestige and benefits that go with it throughout the rest of your life.

Reactions: KnightBreaker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT