ADVERTISEMENT

In hindsight, should have stayed with McClain..

He looked like a young man who has come into a bunch of $ and has no incentive to further a football career. Very sad, but this is what you are going to get in situations like this.
well he kinda knows that he has no NFL future. they're just not looking for players with his weaknesses.

McClain is on his 3rd team, Ark St. and won't even start there. Sorry but, fantastic displays of running 50 yards backwards to complete a beautiful pass only to throw an INT the next pass will never win you a starting position.

Do wish him well and would have loved to watch him this season, but sadly it's like Mack who didn't do well at ODU.

I’ll give the sloth JH credi, at least he knew after a few series that Whimbush wasn’t going to cut it, and went with the talented freshman. I would think ( hope) that any of our backups could be more effective and at the very least want to be there.

I think Gus has some serious psychological/ego issues that’s blinding his judgement. Who runs a reverse against an FCS team,… twice! I guess he’s saving the double pass for Sam Houston lol Oh, boy here we go again 🥵.

hard to believe KJ was a starter in the SEc
From what I have seen so far Gus knows diddly squat about QBs whether that's picking them or training them. KJ looked liked a washed up old veteran who didn't care if he played or not. Seemed to be tired and out of shape. No fire or hunger at all.

I’m pretty sure with $500+k invested in him, Gus and The Kingdom is going to do everything to make it work. Yesterday was a bad performance, but I’m not going to trash the guy just yet. He’s had 4 years worth of success in the SEC on bad teams. I’m going to chalk this one up to just a bad game and give the dude a 2nd chance.

I’m pretty sure with $500+k invested in him, Gus and The Kingdom is going to do everything to make it work. Yesterday was a bad performance, but I’m not going to trash the guy just yet. He’s had 4 years worth of success in the SEC on bad teams. I’m going to chalk this one up to just a bad game and give the dude a 2nd chance.

For the KJ haters:

20 years ago....

Auburn went 13-0 in the SEC with QB Jason Campbell, who averaged 207.6 yards per game passing on 14 completions per game.

A decade ago...

Gus played for a national champion with QB Nick Marshall, who averaged 152 passing yards on 10.9 completions per game.

Last edited:
For the KJ haters:

20 years ago....

Auburn went 13-0 in the SEC with QB Jason Campbell, who averaged 207.6 yards per game passing on 14 completions per game.

A decade ago...

Gus played for a national champion with QB Nick Marshall, who averaged 152 passing yards on 10.9 completions per game.

I hear you but Campbell completed 70% of his passes that season. Above 70% the last half of that season. He was efficient.

I would totally agree Marshall and KJ are on par stat-wise.

We’ll see what happens….nothing else I can do as a fan.

I hear you but Campbell completed 70% of his passes that season. Above 70% the last half of that season. He was efficient.

I would totally agree Marshall and KJ are on par stat-wise.

We’ll see what happens….nothing else I can do as a fan.
Campbell was efficient, and his QB rating was amazing. But he finished with only 30 yards rushing for the season.

Marshall, meanwhile, was a crap passer, but ran for more than 1,000 yards.

KJ doesn't have to be incredibly efficient, nor does he ever need to be a 100-yard rusher. But for UCF to reach its full potential, KJ will need to find balance between being an effective passer (when he needs to be) and an effective runner (when he needs to be).

For the KJ haters:

20 years ago....

A decade ago...

So you agree KJ is not very good.

I know there are lots of DG haters, but he’s making about double what our QB is making. Good business decision…..still wish he had stayed….perhaps the best UCF player ever….who got away.

Reactions: connerito
I know there are lots of DG haters, but he’s making about double what our QB is making. Good business decision…..still wish he had stayed….perhaps the best UCF player ever….who got away.
He could walk away from college with a few million. He leveraged his situation the best he could in the current landscape. 10 years ago he likely would have ended up with nothing.

I’ll give the sloth JH credi, at least he knew after a few series that Whimbush wasn’t going to cut it, and went with the talented freshman. I would think ( hope) that any of our backups could be more effective and at the very least want to be there.

I think Gus has some serious psychological/ego issues that’s blinding his judgement. Who runs a reverse against an FCS team,… twice! I guess he’s saving the double pass for Sam Houston lol Oh, boy here we go again 🥵.
OMG! I do also. The JRP decision just freaked me out when he couldn't throw a 15 yard pass!

Reactions: Knight59
Something has happened behind the scenes (or at Arkansas) that seems to be a mystery.

From the Orlando Sentinel: ..........But there weren’t nearly enough of those kinds of performances last season. Jefferson was too erratic and inconsistent and Arkansas finished at the bottom of the SEC with a 1-7 record, 4-8 overall. And, so, Jefferson entered the transfer portal and chose UCF, partly because of what Malzahn did with Newton — a player Jefferson grew up idolizing.

What happened his last year at Arkansas? Why was he so nervous playing New Hamphire after 9 months of practice? He almost looked like he was in slow motion sometimes. His fake pitchouts were terrible. He barely clapped his hands to hike the ball. He doesn't plant his feet correctly for a QB. He was throwing like one would throw a basketball. Thoughts?

@Knight_Classes_begin_7pm so true regarding the basketball comment!

It was astonishing how bad he looked, esp. in the first half. This is the best we've got?! I hope KJ improves big tine vs. SHS or we may lose.
I mean is Gus pulling another JRP? Has the old man lost his mind? (he's not even that old! LOL) :) I so hope this bad QB performance gets rectified.

Reactions: Knight59
using a 20 years ago example is what is wrong w Gus’s offense

Football has changed , offenses have evolved
How many national titles did saban win after his offense "evolved?"

No matter what era, football is about blocking, tackling, running, and catching.

For the KJ haters:

20 years ago....

A decade ago...

Yet again, 10 years ago Gus was able to coach. Hint, It's not 2014

Saban changed OC's like t shirts, what are you talking about? Bill O'Brien, Steve Sarkisian, Mike Locksley, Brian Daboll and Lane Kiffin to name a few.

Football is about those basics but it's also about putting your players in a position to succeed and throwing ducks like that doesn't put our team in a position to succeed. If he can't throw passes, you train him or move on to the next guy.

Saban changed OC's like t shirts, what are you talking about? Bill O'Brien, Steve Sarkisian, Mike Locksley, Brian Daboll and Lane Kiffin to name a few.

Football is about those basics but it's also about putting your players in a position to succeed and throwing ducks like that doesn't put our team in a position to succeed. If he can't throw passes, you train him or move on to the next guy.
Malzahn doesn't want coaches that would have their own ideas. Kinne seems to be the closest guy to that, and he was out the door before his 1 season ended.

Malzahn doesn't want coaches that would have their own ideas. Kinne seems to be the closest guy to that, and he was out the door before his 1 season ended.
Perhaps this is what pisses me off most about Gus. It’s not like he’s some CFB icon that lit the world on fire with an offense he ran successfully for ages. I don’t get where he has this perceived elite offensive genius tag. At some point our AD needs to step in and do his job and let Gus know a legit OC needs to be hired. None of this OC in name only nonsense either.

Perhaps this is what pisses me off most about Gus. It’s not like he’s some CFB icon that lit the world on fire with an offense he ran successfully for ages. I don’t get where he has this perceived elite offensive genius tag. At some point our AD needs to step in and do his job and let Gus know a legit OC needs to be hired. None of this OC in name only nonsense either.
Agree. I haven't seen it yet. Scott Frost seemed more innovative!

Reactions: Yaes
Ok. Define innovative.

One guy has had one losing season and is employed as a college football head coach. The other guy has had one winning season and was just hired as an analyst outside of college football.
Innovative has nothing to do with record. Even you can’t be that dense.

Malzahn is not innovative right now. He was at some point in time but all innovation becomes yesterday’s news. Please show me where you see innovation while he has been at UCF?

Frost achieved an order of magnitude more growth and accolades in two seasons than Malzahn has in three. This includes Frost beating Malzahn in the peach bowl while doing that…

What he did at Nebraska is irrelevant. Doubt anyone can resurrect that program.

Reactions: Yaes
Innovative has nothing to do with record. Even you can’t be that dense.

Malzahn is not innovative right now. He was at some point in time but all innovation becomes yesterday’s news. Please show me where you see innovation while he has been at UCF?

Frost achieved an order of magnitude more growth and accolades in two seasons than Malzahn has in three. This includes Frost beating Malzahn in the peach bowl while doing that…

What he did at Nebraska is irrelevant. Doubt anyone can resurrect that program.
Frost won 6 games in his first season at UCF. That matches Gus's lowest point of his coaching career.

Gus leads the nation in rushing by 75 yards. Not certain Frost did that even running the option at Nebraska as a player.

Again, I don't know how you are defining innovative.

Frost won 6 games in his first season at UCF. That matches Gus's lowest point of his coaching career.

Gus leads the nation in rushing by 75 yards. Not certain Frost did that even running the option at Nebraska as a player.

In 2023, UCF led the nation after week 1 in rushing. Oddly enough they didn't get any trophies for it. All the teams that beat Malzahn last year must have missed that.

I hate to agree with the Auburn troll. You guys don’t like Gus or his offensive style, which is whatever. I wouldn’t call it innovative by any means, but it is routinely in the top 25 offenses in the country. It wasn’t our offense that went 6-7 last year or lost 4 & 5 games the last 2 years before. It wasn’t our QB either, as much as you all love to blame that. It was our defense, which had a pretty big overhaul after last season through recruiting/portal and coaching as Gus went nuclear.

You guys don’t like Gus, his offense is gimmicky, isn’t your cup of tea and he’s no longer “innovative”….but let’s not call his offense not effective b/c in reality it is. If we had any type of defense that could tackle the last 3 years we’d have been really good with at least 1 Conference Championship.

With a true freshman QB. Then year 2 west undefeated. That exceeds Gus career. Frost recruited the QB to do that. Gus hasn’t yet. Maybe KJ will do that , I doubt it though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT