ADVERTISEMENT

Inshore fishing rods and reels

fabknight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2007
I know a few of you are inshore anglers so I need some opinions on some rods and reels. My arsenal is getting a little old and worn so I'm wanting to replace some equipment but the prices on the stuff I like has gotten crazy expensive. In the past I've typically purchased St. Croix rods (Pearl and Mojo Inshore) and Shimano Stradic reels.

I've tried to go less expensive on the rods by going with Daiwa Pro series rods but they suck - sensitivity blows and the grips start to twist. I gotten the lower end Shimano reels but they aren't as smooth and wear more quickly. My older Stradics have lasted years (the newer ones don't seem as good.)

Any thoughts on what I might consider looking into?

Cheap ones from Walmart and replace yearly. You're not a professional.

Correct. I am not a professional but I hate cheap walmart crap and keep my rods and reels for years. Cheap walmart rods don't give you the strength and sensitivity you need to hook and bring in more fish and the reels break under load. Stop it, Bob.

Expensive tackle is no different Yeti, et al. IMO. Is it a little better? Sure, but is it worth it? $80 - $100 Penn rod and reel from Walmart are fine. The fish don't care if you spent 50 bucks or 500.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Expensive tackle is no different Yeti, et al. IMO. Is it a little better? Sure, but is it worth it? $80 - $100 Penn rod and reel from Walmart are fine. The fish don't care if you spent 50 bucks or 500.

Let me put it in terms your non-fishing ass can understand. If your hobby was racing rally cars, would you want to show up in a Chevy Citation or Ford Focus SRC. Why? Performance. The Chevy may get you to the end but won't do it well while the SRC will absolutely get you there and get you there well.

Cheap ones from Walmart and replace yearly. You're not a professional.
I got a cheap rod/reel combo from Walmart that said it was for bass fishing, but I primarily fish saltwater. I rinse it after each trip since I mostly wade and its been one of the best rods i've owned and it cost me less than $30. I catch the same fish as my buddy who spent $80 on his pole and $130 on his reel.

Reactions: Bob the Citronaut

Please don't use this same rationale if you ever get lucky and have sex with a woman at some point in your adult life. Pony up and buy the good condoms.

Reactions: UCFWayne and JSeloc
Let me put it in terms your non-fishing ass can understand. If your hobby was racing rally cars, would you want to show up in a Chevy Citation or Ford Focus SRC. Why? Performance. The Chevy may get you to the end but won't do it well while the SRC will absolutely get you there and get you there well.

Poor analogy. A better one would be a shit box Focus with the same 302 as a Mustang GT. The Focus may not be as pretty or comfortable but it will get you there just as fast.

I got a cheap rod/reel combo from Walmart that said it was for bass fishing, but I primarily fish saltwater. I rinse it after each trip since I mostly wade and its been one of the best rods i've owned and it cost me less than $30. I catch the same fish as my buddy who spent $80 on his pole and $130 on his reel.

Not true. Fish will only bite if you have a $500 St Croix rod.

Cheap rods and reels lose fish. I'v used cheap stuff and it sucks ass. I will outfish either of you dumbasses with your shit gear. Why don't you guys save even more money and tie some rope to the end of a broomstick.

Reactions: EweSeaEff
How did the Native Americans ever survive without fancy hand wrapped composite rods?!?!? They must have starved to death.

Alright, I'm done picking on you and offering no assistance. I don't care how you spend your money.

How did the Native Americans ever survive without fancy hand wrapped composite rods?!?!? They must have starved to death.

Alright, I'm done picking on you and offering no assistance. I don't care how you spend your money.

They didn't, dumbass. When is the last time you saw a bunch of NAs at the mall????

Reactions: fabknight
You are full of shit here Bob . I've seen too much cheap shit snap and break , reels malfunction with a big fish on , or all your shit get ruined by a little salt water spray .

Reactions: fabknight
Cheap rods and reels lose fish. I'v used cheap stuff and it sucks ass. I will outfish either of you dumbasses with your shit gear. Why don't you guys save even more money and tie some rope to the end of a broomstick.
I use penn battle 2's in the lagoon . As much as I go down there they go at least a year without needing to be oiled or cleaned inside . I rinse with freshwater and check everything trip but they stay like brand new inside

You are full of shit here Bob . I've seen too much cheap shit snap and break , reels malfunction with a big fish on , or all your shit get ruined by a little salt water spray .

You're just mad I hit you twice with expensive rods and Yeti. Seriously, what the hell are you guys doing to your gear that it snaps and breaks and reels are falling apart? I don't fish every weekend but I do it enough and have been fishing most of my life and I've only had one rod break. It was the most expensive combo I ever bought at about $250 and the tip snapped off when I hit an antenna while casting. Flush it with freshwater after every trip, keep it oiled and it will last more than long enough for the price. I'm not talking about buying the $25 Zebco's with the enclosed reels. $80-100 is enough to get a serviceable combo.

Reactions: MACHater02
For freshwater fishing in trailer park ponds you can do decent for 100 . The lagoon will eat cheap shit up much faster . I'm not talking 3-4 hundred dollar combos but a couple hundred is about as cheap as I can find what I trust to last

I find a cane pole will never rust or rot. Grab a pickle bucket and meet over on Lake Monroe. Bring plenty of bread balls, the bream eat that shit up.

For freshwater fishing in trailer park ponds you can do decent for 100 . The lagoon will eat cheap shit up much faster . I'm not talking 3-4 hundred dollar combos but a couple hundred is about as cheap as I can find what I trust to last

I wish I had that kind of convenience, my trailer park doesn't have a pond. You inshore guys do have a lot more cycles though so I guess it wears out faster. I prefer dumb fishing where I can go to a hole or rock pile drop bait and pull up a fish. I don't have the patience for flats fishing although I'm trying to work towards it. I'd still rather pull 20-30 sea bass or grunts with no grouper all day than chasing the fish, tides, weather and moon on the flats.

As far as rods go my favorite right now is my No. 8 medium spinning rod . Only about 80 bucks and it's a solid rod for redfish etc
Thanks for the input. I tested the Battle's on my kids as gifts and as meticulous as my son was about keeping it clean the aluminum gear snapped and the worm gear went bad in less than 4 months...besides they are on the heavy side.

I bought a couple of BPS rods one time to test them. They advertised had the same specs as some of the more expensive rods that I like so I thought I'd give them a shot. I ended up snapping one of them on a damned catfish and one of them on a hook set. I returned them both and ended up buying one St. Croix and still have it.

I never buy BPS products anymore. Cheap shit. I bought their jeans one time and the button pulled through the fabric. I bought some of their fishing line one time and lost 5 redfish in one day from the line snapping - not even at the leader knot. Shit stuff.

As far as cheap reels, after one day of flats fishing, if you take apart the reels afterward, you will see the corrosion starting on the internal cast aluminum parts.

One more thing. A couple of ounces makes a difference when you're casting 1000 times during the course of a day fishing. Lighter, dependable equipment is way better.

I bought a couple of BPS rods one time to test them. They advertised had the same specs as some of the more expensive rods that I like so I thought I'd give them a shot. I ended up snapping one of them on a damned catfish and one of them on a hook set. I returned them both and ended up buying one St. Croix and still have it.

I never buy BPS products anymore. Cheap shit. I bought their jeans one time and the button pulled through the fabric. I bought some of their fishing line one time and lost 5 redfish in one day from the line snapping - not even at the leader knot. Shit stuff.

As far as cheap reels, after one day of flats fishing, if you take apart the reels afterward, you will see the corrosion starting on the internal cast aluminum parts.

One more thing. A couple of ounces makes a difference when you're casting 1000 times during the course of a day fishing. Lighter, dependable equipment is way better.
Yeah I agree but certainly haven't had the same experience you have with the newer battle 2 reel

You use there spinning or casting rods ? I've never tried them but heard they were solid fir the money . I like super lightweight rods .

Spinning. For inshore there is nothing better for the money.

I swear by the Hurricane Calico Jack rods that Dick's sells. I think they're $60-70 but they're quality stuff. I use the Penn Fierce 2 on my three setups and they're nearly all identical. Two are medium heavy 7' and have 20 lb braid on them and one is medium 7' with 15 lb braid.

I've never experienced anything like your described situation with a Penn Battle or Fierce - did you guys speak to customer service? The new second generation of each is much better than the previous one. The only real difference than the battle and the fierce is that the battle is sealed up better but I take damn good care of my reels and they get cleaned every trip. I've dunked each one of my Fierce 2 reels several times and they are as good as brand new. You're correct they're on the heavy side but for inshore I use 20 or 25 size reels and they're light enough to cast all day. I've got a size 20 on my medium rod and that combo has brought in several 30+" reds with ease, Brandon can vouch for that. I don't even know why I have heavier rods cause I never catch the bigger fish on them.

I have an arsenal of Stradic ci4s in 2500 and 3000 size for inshore. But for $75.00ish, you can get the latest Daiwa BG 3000s that'll do great for you. I make my own rods using American Matrix blanks, so can't help you there.

7 ft. ML St Croix Legend Inshore elite paired with a Shimano Stella 2000. 15lb Suffix 832 braid and 20lb fluorocarbon leader. All you need.

I have an arsenal of Stradic ci4s in 2500 and 3000 size for inshore. But for $75.00ish, you can get the latest Daiwa BG 3000s that'll do great for you. I make my own rods using American Matrix blanks, so can't help you there.

If I was retired, I'd consider making my own rods. It seems like it would be pretty fun but there really isn't that much of a cost savings.

7 ft. ML St Croix Legend Inshore elite paired with a Shimano Stella 2000. 15lb Suffix 832 braid and 20lb fluorocarbon leader. All you need.

Geez. I was wanting to get less expensive. Besides, I use a lot of jerk baits so I like to use a lighter leader to get more action out of them; 20lb fluorocarbon doesn't lend itself to that very well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT