ADVERTISEMENT

Inside Amazon: Wrestling Big Ideas In A Bruising Workplace

brahmanknight

Sep 5, 2007
Winter Park
Do you think you could survive for a few years at Amazon? This was a pretty good read on workplace culture. Whatever your worst day is at your current job, it probably would be the best day working at Amazon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/t...g-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html?_r=0

13amazon-selects-slide-4RP5-articleLarge.jpg

According to early executives and employees, Mr. Bezos was determined almost from the moment he founded Amazon in 1994 to resist the forces he thought sapped businesses over time — bureaucracy, profligate spending, lack of rigor. As the company grew, he wanted to codify his ideas about the workplace, some of them proudly counterintuitive, into instructions simple enough for a new worker to understand, general enough to apply to the nearly limitless number of businesses he wanted to enter and stringent enough to stave off the mediocrity he feared.

The result was the leadership principles, the articles of faith that describe the way Amazonians should act. In contrast to companies where declarations about their philosophy amount to vague platitudes, Amazon has rules that are part of its daily language and rituals, used in hiring, cited at meetings and quoted in food-truck lines at lunchtime. Some Amazonians say they teach them to their children.

In 2013, Elizabeth Willet, a former Army captain who served in Iraq, joined Amazon to manage housewares vendors and was thrilled to find that a large company could feel so energetic and entrepreneurial. After she had a child, she arranged with her boss to be in the office from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day, pick up her baby and often return to her laptop later. Her boss assured her things were going well, but her colleagues, who did not see how early she arrived, sent him negative feedback accusing her of leaving too soon.

“I can’t stand here and defend you if your peers are saying you’re not doing your work,” she says he told her. She left the company after a little more than a year.

Ms. Willet’s co-workers strafed her through the Anytime Feedback Tool, the widget in the company directory that allows employees to send praise or criticism about colleagues to management. (While bosses know who sends the comments, their identities are not typically shared with the subjects of the remarks.) Because team members are ranked, and those at the bottom eliminated every year, it is in everyone’s interest to outperform everyone else.

Craig Berman, an Amazon spokesman, said the tool was just another way to provide feedback, like sending an email or walking into a manager’s office. Most comments, he said, are positive. (
Yaoming.jpg%7Ec200
)

However, many workers called it a river of intrigue and scheming. They described making quiet pacts with colleagues to bury the same person at once, or to praise one another lavishly. Many others, along with Ms. Willet, described feeling sabotaged by negative comments from unidentified colleagues with whom they could not argue. In some cases, the criticism was copied directly into their performance reviews — a move that Amy Michaels, the former Kindle manager, said that colleagues called “the full paste.”

It sounds absolutely awful. And it sounds like yet another awful product of these so-called "silicon valley geniuses" who are brilliant yet are terrible managers, terrible CEOs, and love to tell everyone how "forward thinking" their company is, when in fact it's a shit hole to work in. This of course conflicts me, being a constant Amazon user.

Netflix recently came out to announce unlimited child leave, which they did to pat themselves on the back for being so progressive, yet the real truth is that they've had unlimited vacation/leave for a long time now. The problem is that the expectations are so outrageously high that it's not even possible to take time off. They fire people at the drop of a hat.

"Here's your unlimited paid vacation, we dare you to try and use it"

If you want an actual "war on women" I believe this qualifies. These people are absolute cretins:

A woman who had thyroid cancer was given a low performance rating after she returned from treatment. She says her manager explained that while she was out, her peers were accomplishing a great deal. Another employee who miscarried twins left for a business trip the day after she had surgery. “I’m sorry, the work is still going to need to get done,” she said her boss told her. “From where you are in life, trying to start a family, I don’t know if this is the right place for you.”

A woman who had breast cancer was told that she was put on a “performance improvement plan” — Amazon code for “you’re in danger of being fired” — because “difficulties” in her “personal life” had interfered with fulfilling her work goals. Their accounts echoed others from workers who had suffered health crises and felt they had also been judged harshly instead of being given time to recover.

If you want an actual "war on women" I believe this qualifies. These people are absolute cretins:

A woman who had thyroid cancer was given a low performance rating after she returned from treatment. She says her manager explained that while she was out, her peers were accomplishing a great deal. Another employee who miscarried twins left for a business trip the day after she had surgery. “I’m sorry, the work is still going to need to get done,” she said her boss told her. “From where you are in life, trying to start a family, I don’t know if this is the right place for you.”

A woman who had breast cancer was told that she was put on a “performance improvement plan” — Amazon code for “you’re in danger of being fired” — because “difficulties” in her “personal life” had interfered with fulfilling her work goals. Their accounts echoed others from workers who had suffered health crises and felt they had also been judged harshly instead of being given time to recover.
Ho-ly-shit.

Reactions: 1ofTheseKnights
Sounds like it's run more like some grubby handy man business than a huge corporation.

Love this kind of shit getting out there.

Got to kill these types off.

That is eye opening. It would suck if they were the only business in town.

It's well known up here that the amazon owned tech companies employing engineers are slave shops to be avoided at all costs. Fits the NY Times article to a 'T'. Then you have Jeff Bozo trying to do damage control with his weak rebuttal.

All that said, the Amazon cloud based technology stack is absolutely fantastic, so whatever he's doing , he's doing it right. Just don't be a part of it.

My company bends over backwards to look for any reason to NOT fire people ( some of which I wish would be fired because they are worthless, personal circumstances aside ).

But when the piece points out that very few people work there longer than five years, and the company keeps thriving ( even if they still don't make a profit going on 20 years ), it seems to fit the context of the company. Get new ppl, ride them into the dirt, then manage them out and replace them.

But when the piece points out that very few people work there longer than five years, and the company keeps thriving ( even if they still don't make a profit going on 20 years ), it seems to fit the context of the company. Get new ppl, ride them into the dirt, then manage them out and replace them.
This sounds like SpaceX.

There are two qualities to a company: good investments and good to work for. Very, very, rarely are those qualities found in the same company.

Reactions: Knight_Light
There are two qualities to a company: good investments and good to work for. Very, very, rarely are those qualities found in the same company.

That's a huge generalization that is too vague to even really prove. I mean, if you look at the classic US blue chip stocks on the Dow, they've done extremely well as investments over the past few decades and many of them receive great reviews from their workers. I know people who work at Coca Cola, Disney, Boeing, etc and they all love their jobs.

These tech companies appear to be a different breed however, and the common thread is that they're all run by egomaniac CEOs who insist they're changing the world. It's more of a religious decree than a business plan.

That's a huge generalization that is too vague to even really prove. I mean, if you look at the classic US blue chip stocks on the Dow, they've done extremely well as investments over the past few decades and many of them receive great reviews from their workers. I know people who work at Coca Cola, Disney, Boeing, etc and they all love their jobs.

These tech companies appear to be a different breed however, and the common thread is that they're all run by egomaniac CEOs who insist they're changing the world. It's more of a religious decree than a business plan.
I probably should have said "great" investments. I'm not referring to companies whose value growth is inline with NASDAQ composite. I work for a solid performing blue chip company. Great company to work for. I was more talking about the explosive growth companies amazon, tesla, microsoft in the 90s. In general, they have that explosive growth because they work their employees very hard.

I was more talking about the explosive growth companies amazon, tesla, microsoft in the 90s. In general, they have that explosive growth because they work their employees very hard.

I think there's a difference between working your employees hard and completely disregarding their humanity in order to "extract" everything you can out of them. Sounds like Amazon's culture crosses that line... and for what? So people can get a hard to find doll quickly or run their software in "the cloud"?

Personally, I wouldn't trust Amazon's finanials. This kind of culture drives people to do what it takes to ""win"", up to and including blatent lying and cheating.

I think there's a difference between working your employees hard and completely disregarding their humanity in order to "extract" everything you can out of them. Sounds like Amazon's culture crosses that line... and for what? So people can get a hard to find doll quickly or run their software in "the cloud"?

Personally, I wouldn't trust Amazon's finanials. This kind of culture drives people to do what it takes to ""win"", up to and including blatent lying and cheating.

That does sounds similar to Enron, now that you mention it ( working employees to the bone, notoriously tough work environment, never making a profit, deified CEO ).

So should we be surprised when Bezos is in jail 5 years from now?

That does sounds similar to Enron, now that you mention it ( working employees to the bone, notoriously tough work environment, never making a profit, deified CEO ).

So should we be surprised when Bezos is in jail 5 years from now?

It sounds like a lot of firms on Wall Street. A lot of guys go there, sell their soul for a few years, make their money, then get out into more "normal" jobs where they aren't working every single minute of the day. I know a guy who worked at a hedge fund out of business school, made nearly $1M in 3 years, and is now working for Ameriprise in Minnesota.

Reactions: 1ofTheseKnights
Take the stories listed here with a grain of salt, just because someone who is no longer there has negative things to say doesn't mean their stories are 100% accurate. That being said, it still sounds shitty what they have done.

Also, the whole lack of a work/life balance, anyone should have known that before starting, one of the things I always ask in interviews is about the work/life balance. Do your research before taking a job people!

Obviously Amazon only wants people there for 2 years or so, and they've made a conscious decision that this is how they want to run their business. So if you want to work for a place like that and can do what @UCFKnight85 just suggested then this is the place for you. If you want to be a long term employee where everyone hugs each other every day and you have a long career, then this isn't likely the employer for you.

Stolen comment from elsewhere on the interwebs...

"I know they're in marketing but if you're a grown man crying at your desk because of your job you've got deeper problems."

You're wrong. The NFL has been non-profit for more like 50 years.

Pretty sure there are studies that show that the ones that appear the most in Best Places to Work and similar articles are the ones that continue to outperform expectations long term.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT