ADVERTISEMENT

Is there really a QB controversy??

The biggest adjustment out of this is going to be watching a run heavy offense without a prolific passer. The last 10 years having bortles, milton, DG etc has set the standard pretty high. Not going to hate on JRP but there's a reason he slipped down the depth chart at Ole Miss. In the end as long as we move the ball and win, thats what matters.

He's just the game one starter. I believe all 3 will get reps in the first game someone had to go first. I want to see who can get the ball to the open receivers under pressure. It may be TC with the best arm. Actually making the correct reads is just as important

Last edited:
He's just the game one starter. I believe all 3 will get reps in the first game some had to go first. I want to see who can get the ball to the open receivers under pressure. It may be TC with the best arm. Actually making the correct reads is just as important
it is rare that all 3 QBs will get enough snaps in a game, especially if the offense starts out slow. we are not in the Frost era till we show otherwise on offense

The biggest adjustment out of this is going to be watching a run heavy offense without a prolific passer. The last 10 years having bortles, milton, DG etc has set the standard pretty high. Not going to hate on JRP but there's a reason he slipped down the depth chart at Ole Miss. In the end as long as we move the ball and win, thats what matters.
You must have missed or forgotten every game after Louisville last year where we were a run heavy offense without a prolific passer…

And let’s keep it real, a guy named Matt Corrall was the main reason he “slipped down the depth chart”. The spring game showed a dynamic QB. Let’s hope to see that this year.

You must have missed or forgotten every game after Louisville last year where we were a run heavy offense without a prolific passer…

And let’s keep it real, a guy named Matt Corrall was the main reason he “slipped down the depth chart”. The spring game showed a dynamic QB. Let’s hope to see that this year.
Prolific passers don’t really exist in a Malzahn offense.

Reactions: Yaes
speaking of Matt Corrall: "Carolina Panthers rookie quarterback Matt Corral likely will be out for the season because of a "significant" foot injury, according to an ESPN report."

An Ankle Away! -G O'leary

In 30 years of coaching, Gus Malzahn has produced three quarterbacks (Josh Floyd, Cam Newton, and Nick Marshall) who rushed for more than 600 yards in a season.

I haven't crunched the numbers, but would estimate Gus has produced more than 15 quarterbacks who passed for more than 3,000 yards in a season.
I think the idea that the Gus offense "needs a mobile quarterback" to be successful stems from Gus and Auburn having some of the nation's highest rated games in viewership during his time at Auburn.

In 30 years of coaching, Gus Malzahn has produced three quarterbacks (Josh Floyd, Cam Newton, and Nick Marshall) who rushed for more than 600 yards in a season.

I haven't crunched the numbers, but would estimate Gus has produced more than 15 quarterbacks who passed for more than 3,000 yards in a season.
I think the idea that the Gus offense "needs a mobile quarterback" to be successful stems from Gus and Auburn having some of the nation's highest rated games in viewership during his time at Auburn.
As a head coach, guess how many passing offenses he has had that ranked in the top 60 in the country.

Reactions: PhDee
Reactions: PhDee
No idea

"Here are Auburn’s pass EPA numbers from 2017 on:

2017: 0.064 EPA/Pass (43rd)
2018: 0.069 EPA/Pass (48th
2019: -0.011 EPA/Pass (80th
2020: 0.048 EPA/Pass (59th)"
The answer is 0. He has been coaching for a decade and has had 0 passing offenses that ranked in the top 60 of college football. Since UCF joined the AAC we have had a top 35 passing attack 6 of the 8 years before Malzahn arrived. Which is why I said prolific passers don’t exist in his offense. That doesn’t mean he can’t be successful. But we aren’t going to see passing numbers we were accustomed to unless the system changes. It’s going to be heavy running attack with dual threat QBs that can hopefully pass adequately.

The answer is 0. He has been coaching for a decade and has had 0 passing offenses that ranked in the top 60 of college football. Since UCF joined the AAC we have had a top 35 passing attack 6 of the 8 years before Malzahn arrived. Which is why I said prolific passers don’t exist in his offense. That doesn’t mean he can’t be successful. But we aren’t going to see passing numbers we were accustomed to unless the system changes. It’s going to be heavy running attack with dual threat QBs that can hopefully pass adequately.
Agreed.

Gus knows Dual Threat QBs, can be very effective at the college level, way more than they have been at the NFL level.

Gus also has the most wins against Bama compared to any other coach.

Gus's job is to win games, not necessarily produce the best throwing QBs.

MK is the more prototypical QB and better passer, but JRP will give us a better chance of winning with his athleticism.

We had a prolific passer last tear in DG. Hard to know how the season would have went if he hadnt gotten injured but he was one foot out the door.

Malzahn’s system is setup off the RPO. Nearly every snap is going to involve some form of it or a simple read-option. From these plays it forces LB’s to play near LOS and sets up for some shots down field. Having someone like JrP as a threat can cause even safeties to cheat into the box and setup 1-1 cvg outside.

It will look different but i think we will like the result. Sometimes with Heupels offense we were simply scoring too fast or going 3/out and our defense paid the price

If you remove seasons where Malzahn gave up being the playcaller at Auburn, '21 UCF passing game was the 3rd most passing yards average in Malzahn's head coaching career.

From 2013-2020, UCF has averaged more passing yards per game each season than Auburn. That includes 2014-2016 when the QBs were Holman and Milton freshman season.

Auburn highest average passing yards a season was 233 per game under Malzahn (Gave up Playcalling), only team in SEC that did not have a season with more passing yards during that span was Kentucky.

There has never been a prolific passing game under Malzahn as head coach and playcaller.

There are few things more demoralizing to a defense then a mobile QB that can scramble and get a 1st down on 3rd and 5,6,7 yds.
I am really looking forward to hopefully being on the winning side of that play with JRP.

If you remove seasons where Malzahn gave up being the playcaller at Auburn, '21 UCF passing game was the 3rd most passing yards average in Malzahn's head coaching career.

From 2013-2020, UCF has averaged more passing yards per game each season than Auburn. That includes 2014-2016 when the QBs were Holman and Milton freshman season.

Auburn highest average passing yards a season was 233 per game under Malzahn (Gave up Playcalling), only team in SEC that did not have a season with more passing yards during that span was Kentucky.

There has never been a prolific passing game under Malzahn as head coach and playcaller.
And I don't think we'll be pass Happy like Hippo became (run, pass pass punt). Huepel changed everything by his 3 year.

I dont think anyone hates Mk as some seem to suggest on here. He did help beat the gators and was thrust into starting earlier thanexpected

With that said, it was abundantly clear that he was near his ceiling with his lack of mobility, weak arm strength, and inability to run through his reads. He will be an experienced backup this season and if needed, should be better suited to come in than he was a year ago. TC is our future and JRP can be the bridge to TC if he can perform.
Agree 1000%

And this might help keep the other teams score below 40 points. UCF defense was giving up 700 yards in some games with Hippo.

I expect Gus will run the same type of offense as last year…lots of screens and short passes….there may be more big plays because I think our wide receiver’s are better overall than last year’s, …but I don’t see a lot of deep throws/patterns coming….our strength is the running game and OL…we’ll play to that…

..JRP adds to the running game, but I‘m not a fan of risking injury by calling running plays for the starting QB….JRP looks bigger than when he was at Ole Miss..,but a big QB he’s not…Gus called those same WR bubble screens and short passes to his TE when we played Auburn in the Peach bowl. Our corners blew up the WRs trying to block on screens and we stuffed them...same offense he ran last year…He won’t be airing it out Heuple style

And yet during that span Gus had a better overall record than UCF and never had a losing season. (While in the SEC)

We had a prolific passer last tear in DG. Hard to know how the season would have went if he hadnt gotten injured but he was one foot out the door.

Malzahn’s system is setup off the RPO. Nearly every snap is going to involve some form of it or a simple read-option. From these plays it forces LB’s to play near LOS and sets up for some shots down field. Having someone like JrP as a threat can cause even safeties to cheat into the box and setup 1-1 cvg outside.

It will look different but i think we will like the result. Sometimes with Heupels offense we were simply scoring too fast or going 3/out and our defense paid the price
Coach Beelit! :)

Reactions: beelit47
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT